Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto function of DSLR

Default Re: Auto function of DSLR

Ahhhh... TS, maybe you turned on 2-shot bracketing at 0EV and -1EV...
    I've done that before, and left it on unintentionally... Wondering why every other shot was dark
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by hoppie View Post
    there is another reason, what is the metering mode you using? if the backgnd is very bright and you use bracket metering then you front object will turn up DARK, try using Spot metering instead and up EV if too dark.
    TS said he took several shots from the exact same spot and angle, and aiming at the same subject. This SHOULD eliminate variances due to metering different objects.
    If the metering mode is wrong, all the shots will turn out too bright or too dark, not some bright and some dark.

ok .. it is indeed my poor english that lead to confusions

1) i am using Canon 500D (Ef-s 18-55mm) and my prosumer camera is canon A620 (canon loyal customer )

2) throughout the trip i have only used Auto and Aperture priorty mode. When in Aperture Priorty mode, i tend to play around with the EV (exposure compensation) when the surrounding is too bright

3) i tried practicing at home or neighbourhood when i get a chance but these chance dun come easy as i tend to be busy with stuff

ok...i will upload some of the pictures later tonight..maybe then you guys will understand what i am saying

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    with snow, the camera tends to underexpose (it thinks the scene is very bright). In P, A, S modes, you need to increase the exposure compensation value to correct for this anomaly.
    I noticed my compact Canon S90 has a scene mode called "Snow", wonder what's it. Probably the whitebalance?

I am very sure that 5D Mark-II with 24-105mm full auto mode will outperform any compact camera in color, lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    I noticed my compact Canon S90 has a scene mode called "Snow", wonder what's it. Probably the whitebalance?
    And exposure compensation. Try it, meter a scene with normal mode, then switch to "Snow", meter again and check the parameters set by the camera.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    I am very sure that 5D Mark-II with 24-105mm full auto mode will outperform any compact camera in color, lighting.
    5D Mk II has full auto mode meh?
    I know Nikon's D300 and above don't have auto mode, let alone scene modes.

Quote Originally Posted by adorable

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    And exposure compensation. Try it, meter a scene with normal mode, then switch to "Snow", meter again and check the parameters set by the camera.

If you try it out (experiment) and view on your PC, the rewards of learning photography are far greater.

Auto Mode Aperture F9; Shutter speed 1/200 ;Exposure compensation 0 ; ISO 100 ; metering mode :evaluative metering

Aperture Priority Mode = F4 ; shutter speed 1/1600; Exposure compensation -2/3 ISO speed 100 ; metering mode : evaluative metering

not sure can you guys see the difference
    Last edited by animian2002; 3rd December 2009 at 10:18 PM.

I see that the water is brighter in your A-priority mode.

Can you post up the exif information for both shots (incl the Auto one)
    Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO, Metering

5D Mark-II is a superior camera, it not only have full auto, it has creative auto mode CA.

Sorry, pls ignore this sidetrack topic. Let go back to dSLR and Prosumer compacts.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    5D Mk II has full auto mode meh?
    I know Nikon's D300 and above don't have auto mode, let alone scene modes.

Auto mode
    TV 1/200 ; AV 14.0 ; ISO 400 ; Evaluative Metering; Exposure compensation 0

Aperture Priorty Mode
    TV 1/400 ; AV 5.6 ; ISO 100 ; Evaluative Metering ; Exposure Compensation 0

the difference is mainly in the buildings over the other side of the island

I prefer the first one, the rocks lining are well defined as compared to the second which is washed out in many areas.

Quote Originally Posted by animian2002 View Post

Auto Mode Aperture F9; Shutter speed 1/200 ;Exposure compensation 0 ; ISO 100 ; metering mode :evaluative metering

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff78/animian2002/IMG_0025.jpg[/IMG]
    Aperture Priority Mode = F4 ; shutter speed 1/1600; Exposure compensation -2/3 ISO speed 100 ; metering mode : evaluative metering

not sure can you guys see the difference

another stupid question how come when i upload both pictures, they all look almost the same, but when i view the original using zoombrowser Ex - i can see the difference very clearly

I prefer the first one, the rocks lining are well defined as compared to the second which is washed out in many areas.
    what do you mean by wash out

The rocks have different color, surface lines and obviously shadow, not to mention that puddle of water in the centre.

The 2nd pics lacks that shadow and the surface of the rocks are too bright. If you look at the rock at bottom centre, the 2nd pic is pale. The puddle also lack the reflection bec it is too pale.

what do you mean by wash out

In the building landscape picture. No difference. IMO, the outcome is expected as the far end is direct sun while near end is heavy shadow. So either preserve the far end and darken the near or balance both.

Auto mode
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff78/animian2002/IMG_0708.jpg[/IMG]

Aperture Priorty Mode
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff78/animian2002/IMG_0709.jpg[/IMG]

In the building landscape picture. No difference. IMO, the outcome is expected as the far end is direct sun while near end is heavy shadow. So either preserve the far end and darken the near or balance both.
    Hmmm auto HDR of Sony A500/A550 should balance both.

I m not sure which AUTO mode u r referring to. U said u r used prosumer before.
    This type of camera have great developing and good program to auto detect the type of condition and snap the best and stable and balance result with may be lower F and automatic higher ISO if u check the photo detail.

If u like to start easy with DSLR, u must read the product manual and understand the model basic setting and type of minimum required setting or mode to select for fully AUTO function.
    As DSLR not program with a powerful program mode.

U can use A mode with balance auto focus and compensation if deal with white foreground. Fill flash may need. Set A to 60 and practices with hand if u do not carry tripod. newer model DSLR can shot with higher ISO yet with fair result.

If u choose P mean camera sensor must do all the job. This may not happen when sensor read gray or white or reflex or ex-dark condition.
    Try with white paper and gray paper and glass item with light at home with different angle.

Auto mode

Aperture Priorty Mode

.... i think i know why le....
    your auto mode got flash right????

see pict 1 the railing got reflection

but hor, i think its the cam. in program mode, then MAYBE it tried to detect what scene it was. (portrait, landscape, etc) den attempted to apply some kind of processing that will "enchance" your image. in partial//full manual modes, nothing is done to ensure consistant results that are important.

since you only got 1 week left. i recommend you to just use the different scene modes like portrait, landscape etc at hokkaido, lest you come back with a bunch of underexposed pictures and bad memories
    Last edited by IsenGrim; 3rd December 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast