Thread: Hi i am newbie in here

Default Hi i am newbie in here

Hello

Iheard abt this forum long ago but only joined today.

I am very interested in photography i would say, but has a seriously tight budget that held me back from getting DSLR all the while, so i have been using digital cameras to pull off stunts and shoots nice photos wannabes.

When I saw G11 i thought i should get it since its not yet a dslr yet it can "replace" them in terms of quality. (am i right..maybe 70%?)

Then few of my friends advised me to get dslr instead for better and bigger sensors, as well as "constant" aperture. Not sure wad the constant is supposed to mean. perhaps when using a better lens?

My budget is around 1000 and most probably getting a canon after all the reviews and comparisons made in forums.

So yes i am now looking at 1000D and 500D.
    However 500D is over my budget, zzz sian.

Just want to know, how bad can 1000D be. cos i saw ppl totally rejecting it.

And regarding the 18-55mm kit lens, any samples of how photos may look like when taken with them? And the largest aperture is 3.5? can it create the term u all coined it as "bokeh" very well?

Thank you thank you.

Default Re: Hi i am newbie in here

Welcome to CS Hunt around before buying & do your search in CS
    Take the shot!

People calling the 1000D bad are either blinded by overly precise specs comparisons (without knowing how relevant tiny differences are) or have other issues (self esteem?) with entry level cameras. There are many examples how cameras with supposedly inferiour specs still can produce great images - provided the person behind the viewfinder has the right skills. But still, a fair share of people believe that upgrading a camera will result in an upgrade of skills and a leap frog in image quality...
    The 1000D is the entry level cam of Canon and it can produce decent images. Review sites like www.dpreview.com will show you that the results of the 1000D are nothing to spit on compared to other entry level cameras. The kit lens is an entry level lens as well. As such, it provides the most useful focal length range for many people for an entry budget. Again, that doesn't mean it is bad. Just not as good as the high-end lenses - but then again it needs closer examination with skilled eye to see the differences. The constant aperture is useful, indeed. But as long as you don't know what it means there are other topics to focus on.
    Bokeh is a quality aspect of the blur area (out of focus area) in an image. You can't measure it and it's subject to personal taste finally. You might not like what makes other people drooling here. There are simple steps to achieve a pronounced out of focus effect around your subject and also the kit lens can deliver this.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    There are simple steps to achieve a pronounced out of focus effect around your subject and also the kit lens can deliver this.
    Thanks for giving me answer to this and standing up for the entry level users. lol

But for the constant aperture, does that apply to only higher-end lens? or the kit lens can do it too? I read up alot at shortcourse.com abt how everything works. So i kinda understand better how aperture can affect the exposure and DOF. i am still learning more as i type.

Other things i like to know is... lets say i am in zoo, a distance away from animals. so as i focus further at them, will the aperture be affected? like smaller?

Pardon my noobiness

Quote Originally Posted by hoho85 View Post
    Thanks for giving me answer to this and standing up for the entry level users. lol

But for the constant aperture, does that apply to only higher-end lens? or the kit lens can do it too? I read up alot at shortcourse.com abt how everything works. So i kinda understand better how aperture can affect the exposure and DOF. i am still learning more as i type.

Other things i like to know is... lets say i am in zoo, a distance away from animals. so as i focus further at them, will the aperture be affected? like smaller?

Pardon my noobiness
    Firstly a very warm welcome to you, hoho85.
    I totally agree with what Octarine said about the 1000D.
    If your budget allows you the luxury of the 1000D, then go ahead and get yourself acquainted with it. No worries at all.
    For your questions:
    1. for constant aperture, usually only more expensive lenses have this feature. It is certainly very useful if you need the extra couple of stops in exposure in low light area, not to mention giving you a more beautiful bokeh with a wider aperture.
    2. kit lens usually do not have constant aperture. So let's say if you telezoom in fully on a far away animal, the aperture will usually be smaller at perhaps f/6.3 or f/5.6, depending on which kit lens you are using.

But for the constant aperture, does that apply to only higher-end lens? or the kit lens can do it too? ...

hi,
    welcome to CS

constant aperture lenses are not restricted by meaning of "high end".. for example, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens is not considered as hi-end but affordable at around 500S$ in second-hand market..it is a great combo with Canon 1000D..

if you are looking for a tele at the same time, Canon 55-250 IS can be a solution to pair with Canon 1000D+1855 IS kit lens.. the f5.6 aperture at 250mm end still can create great shots if you want to isolate the subject from background

in fact, with 1K budget, you can consider many other brands and models.. only Canon 1000D & 2 lens kit is mentioned here as I noted it in your first post..

cheers

and dun stuck urself to canon. check out pentax olympus and sony.
    these less popular brand actually offers better value for money camera
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

If u like boken effect, getting prime lens like 50mm F1.8 can be very affordable too
    2nd hand price around $90 ~ $120
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

But for the constant aperture, does that apply to only higher-end lens? or the kit lens can do it too?
    No, the kit lens for 1000D is not a constant aperture lens. The constant aperture is a feature as result of the lens design. Tamron 17-50 is a good example for a 3rd party lens in affordable price range with constant aperture.
    Check the lens price guide here in the forum. The list shows you recent prices for a lot of lenses. From the lens type you can see whether it is constant aperture (e.g. 17-50 f/2.8) or variable aperture like your kit lens (f/3.6-5.6).
    EOS

Hello....welcome.

With a budget of $1K, you would have quite a few options. Do look at what the other brands, Nikon, Sony, Pentax & Olympus has to offer too.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

welcome to CS,

Do look ard b4 making ur decision....go to their showroom n test it out.

BTW, stepping into the DSLR world would definitely cost u alot more $$$ in the future.

Thanks for all advices and help..!

i had looked at pentax and sony.

i have not tried them, but reviewers prefer the quality and color of canon over others.. like pentax k-x.

i even saw comments 1000d w kit lens takes pictures equivilent to g11's! dunno true anot?

i even saw comments 1000d w kit lens takes pictures equivilent to g11's! dunno true anot?
    may be, may be not..

i can take awful pictures with a hi-end DSLR as if i'm using a 1.3MP mobile phone..
    or an expert can take great pictures even with a cheapest compact.. it depends on many variations..

there are good reviews about G11 but its sensor size is never close to 1000D.. generally speaking, a DSLR would snap faster and perform better than a compact especially in lowlight condition.. of course not mentioning the more flexibility and controlability over shooting parameters

Thanks for all advices and help..!
    but reviewers prefer the quality and color of canon over others.. like pentax k-x.
    Oh does canon help in composition?

Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

i have not tried them, but reviewers prefer the quality and color of canon over others.. like pentax k-x.
    Please read this article slowly and carefully: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml
    The mentioned Hasselblad is a Medium Format camera with a sensor that is bigger then the normal DLSR sensor or 35mm film. The sensor here comes from Phase One and has 39 megapixels.
    Then reflect about those people claiming that a certain brand has better colours than another one or even the fact that they would be able to tell which is which. Secondly: how much of these colour differences will be left after post-processing?
    EOS