View Poll Results: What would you rather get?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon 300D

23 19.83%
  • Nikon D70

93 80.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EOS 300D or Nikon D70?

Question EOS 300D or Nikon D70?

Dear all,

I know that we know relatively little about the D70 but I would like to make a poll anyway:

What would you rather get?

1) The Canon EOS 300D

2) The Nikon D70

I mean in general... Experts might wanna go into specifics based on experience (and in the case of the D70 - the specs).

Just asking for Fun!!!

BTW, why are so many people selling 300D? Any problems you guys wanna share?

This is a potentially flammy poll. Those who are loyal to each brand will naturally select the brand they favour.

But I like Nikon.

If u got existing canon lens then stick with canon and vice versa for those who have existing nikon lens.

If you don't have either, then go for the one u like best

Deregistered

always think of long term - go for the brand that offers you the lenses you want.

Now I'm selling a Digital Kiss ie Japanese version of 300D. No actual experience with D70 except specs-watching!

I have more experience with Nikon systems though have a simple Canon EOS100 film setup.

Basically I almost like the handling of the 300D save for simple quirks like using the command dial instead of the four-way pad to choose focusing points, full-time continous focus instead of selectable, slight wait from startup/wakeup state etc... ie having to adjust from a Nikon DSLR system.

The first time I actually used my set I took it as a backup to a Nikon system on a simple editorial assignment photographing somebody, and ended up using the 300D more on that day - perhaps due to eagerness to use a new purchase.

I also liked the ability to use my 28-105 USM lens - fast, silent - good for taking shots during the interview. The 300D shutter sounded less distractive to me too, though this is subjective. Didn't have to change lens too.

If the D70 existed when the Digital Kiss was up for sale from the guy who sold it to me, I'd go for the D70 + kit lens. Specs-wise the D70 looks better in several aspects, and at least the handling will be somewhat similar to the Nikon cameras I have been using, plus I have already further invested in the Nikon system.

The 300D is lighter than my existing camera though the D70 would also be around the same weight. I thought the 300D's silver colour makes it looks less threatening (hey... just a hobbyist walking around... ) though that could just be an unfounded assumption. So I took the 300D out for casual shots instead.

If you already have a Canon system, the choice should be quite obvious I think, unless you are thinking of switching.

Thumbs up

I use EOS, but for this poll and with the D70 specs, 300D loses out. Upzzz for D70.

If I have the budget, I'll buy Nikon D70 for sure. Now, I just stick to my Sony

The choice is clear for me
    10-20,18-70,18-200,50,80-200,70-300

imho, canon was stupid to launch 300D in that ugly silver color.

all else being the same, i will choose D70 because of the color.
    but in all seriousness. D70 spec kick 300D ass.

and i consider myself quite a canonian.

no doubt about it...there's only one choice... Nikon D70 Digital SLR

D70.... doesn't seem like a stripped down D100, unlike the 300D to the 10D.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Though I shoot Canon, I wouldn't get a castrated piece of (*!@#&* like the EOS-300D. Go D70!

Generally, I think that D70 is going very strong here, as compared to the 300D. He he... let's see if it hits 100!

Btw, anyone doing mass ordering?

Didn't know there was mass ordering for DSLRs. If circumstances allow, I wouldn't mind putting my money down for a D70

The Camera is only as good as the photographer who wields it

Quote Originally Posted by FLiNcHY
    The Camera is only as good as the photographer who wields it
    yah lah, but all else being equal the good photog also prob choose the better camera that has less limitation.

i use EOS but from the specs... D70 kicks 300D's teeth in.
    web | blog | fb | ig

for non-SLR users with no lenses: if money is a problem, the cheapest way to go on an DSLR route with good performance is 300D. if a few hundreds dollars more is not a strain, the D70 is a better buy for the better specs.

The 300D is excellent for the fairly beginner photographer who has been handling compact digicams but now wants to explore DSLR without too much pain in the heart over $$$. It's basically a model in which the Canon engineer woke up one day and decided to fiddle around with his itchy fingers. So he took the 10D and thot, Hmmm, what if I remove this feature, strip this, and that, and more of this and that, change to a cheaper this, and that... voila! The 300D is born. Compared to the 10D, the 300D looks or handles like a lame excuse to the discerning advanced amateur photographers. (But I think it is quite unfair to compare an orange to an apple.) If you fall into this category, haven't owned any/many propriety lenses yet and have extra $$ to spare, get the D70.

Now, I still need a buyer for my Digital Kiss

Today I saw a Canon DSLR ad on the side of a bus... along with the claim of having 70% of the DSLR market "in Singapore and around the world"...

It's all about capturing all the market segments. Or is it not?

http://www.photo.net/mjohnston/column19/index.html
    quote:
    Canon, Inc., as part of its Master Plan for World Dominion, has revealed that is uses an innovative “Startup Zapper” program in which image-related software startup companies are located, identified, purchased and subsumed into Canon’s product base without requiring actual attention from live Canon employees. Having bought Olympus in 2004, Nikon in 2007, and Kodak in 2008, Canon Inc.’s only true impediments to total domination of world imaging technologies remains Sony Corp. and a few nut cases who use view cameras.

I think the D70 is a good jolt to the market. The 300D is a milestone in terms of lowering the price-tag on a DSLR. The D70 is close in pricing and even betters the D100 in various ways.

Kudos to Nikon, and the good thing is Canon fans can also reasonably expect Canon to produce a much improved 300D replacement (or MKII) to match.

All the power to the users regardless of which system you choose....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast