Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Questions on CPL filter usage

  1. #1

    Default Questions on CPL filter usage

    Planning to get a CPL filter.
    I read from some threads that CPL filter will cause human objects to become "purple"?
    It does not make sense to keep removing the filter whenever I need to take landscape picture with human objects and putting them on if no human objects.
    I understand that we can turn the filter to control the polarization, so my question is;
    will I be able to control the dial such that the human objects will not become purple?
    of course if this means sacrificing the deep contrast blue sky, then I am okay.
    as long as there is a setting that human will appear in the correct skin tone

    or what else I can do?

    also, I read that I need to set WB to Daylight and down exposure to -1 or lower?

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    I dun think the Circular polarisers make humans purple, or at least not the ones i am using.

    Circular polarisers give accurate Through the lens metering for the camera systems. Unless u are talking about linear polarisers

    ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 1st December 2009 at 06:46 PM.

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    Quote Originally Posted by tigersaurus View Post
    Planning to get a CPL filter.
    I read from some threads that CPL filter will cause human objects to become "purple"?
    It does not make sense to keep removing the filter whenever I need to take landscape picture with human objects and putting them on if no human objects.
    I understand that we can turn the filter to control the polarization, so my question is;
    will I be able to control the dial such that the human objects will not become purple?
    of course if this means sacrificing the deep contrast blue sky, then I am okay.
    as long as there is a setting that human will appear in the correct skin tone

    or what else I can do?

    also, I read that I need to set WB to Daylight and down exposure to -1 or lower?

    thanks.
    please show where you find the info of CPL filter can turn people into Barney?

    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    I think TS has mistaken for vari ND or fader ND. Branded CPL does not make people look purple.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    Quote Originally Posted by tigersaurus View Post
    Planning to get a CPL filter.
    I read from some threads that CPL filter will cause human objects to become "purple"?
    It does not make sense to keep removing the filter whenever I need to take landscape picture with human objects and putting them on if no human objects.
    I understand that we can turn the filter to control the polarization, so my question is;
    will I be able to control the dial such that the human objects will not become purple?
    of course if this means sacrificing the deep contrast blue sky, then I am okay.
    as long as there is a setting that human will appear in the correct skin tone

    or what else I can do?

    also, I read that I need to set WB to Daylight and down exposure to -1 or lower?

    thanks.
    CPL is used mainly for landscape. You can take pictures with people too but it won't turn them purple. And you're right, when using CPL filter you shouldn't use auto white balance because the camera will automatically compensate for the light coming in thru the lens.

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philippines/Singapore
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    please show where you find the info of CPL filter can turn people into Barney?



    LOL!!!!

    you Make My Day Man!!!

    LOL!!!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    please show where you find the info of CPL filter can turn people into Barney?

    HAHA.

    to ts: dont need exposure comp, cos the CPL's ND+2 will be taken TTL by the camera meter.

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    Quote Originally Posted by tigersaurus View Post
    also, I read that I need to set WB to Daylight and down exposure to -1 or lower?
    As long as you are in any program mode the necessary exposure compensation is done by the camera. For manual mode watch your meter and adjust accordingly. The difference might be more or less than 1 stop, depending on the filter.
    WB should be set to daylight (or any other suitable preset). Reason: CPL will enhance the blue skies but your Auto WB might notice this and correct to what the camera thinks is 'well balanced' thus removing all the CPL effects again. You can try this with a piece of coloured foil if you have one at hand. Shooting through yellow foil with Auto WB will have no impact, the image looks normal, the yellow cast has been removed.
    EOS

  9. #9

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    I use CPL for portrait shoot. Seem fine with me without the "purple" effect.
    Visit me at minioldman.com.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    Remember that the polarizer filter works best at 90 degree angles to the sun. And also try to get in the habit of turning it counter-clockwise so that you don't accidentally unscrew it.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    Thanks for all the replies.
    I will go search again where I read about the "purple" effect on human.

    so this means I am safe to adjust the CPL to get the maximum polarization effect of the blue sky without worrying on my human objects?

    in order words, I should be safe to put on my CPL throughout my outdoor shots assuming the weather is good.... bright and sunny.
    and when I go indoor, I should remove the filter?

  12. #12
    Member Linnl71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East area
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    Quote Originally Posted by tigersaurus View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I will go search again where I read about the "purple" effect on human.

    so this means I am safe to adjust the CPL to get the maximum polarization effect of the blue sky without worrying on my human objects?

    in order words, I should be safe to put on my CPL throughout my outdoor shots assuming the weather is good.... bright and sunny.
    and when I go indoor, I should remove the filter?
    More like you should put on the filter when you need the effects and remove it when you don't

  13. #13
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Questions on CPL filter usage

    Quote Originally Posted by tigersaurus View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I will go search again where I read about the "purple" effect on human.

    so this means I am safe to adjust the CPL to get the maximum polarization effect of the blue sky without worrying on my human objects?

    in order words, I should be safe to put on my CPL throughout my outdoor shots assuming the weather is good.... bright and sunny.
    and when I go indoor, I should remove the filter?
    There is a penalty in loss of light entering the sensor when u place a polariser, and the light loss is variable and can be 2 stops or more depending on various filter makes/brands, plus u should not be adding additional glass in front of ur lens when u do not need it.

    ryan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •