Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: How do you shoot people in street photography?

  1. #21

    Default Re: How do you shoot people in street photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    At one time, I saw some baskets of durians on the streets. I took out my camera and wanted to shoot, the stall holder immediately shouted to me "Don't take! We are going to move it already." He might have misunderstood that I am going to STOMP it.
    no offence but i think its your mannerism.

  2. #22
    Member adorable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bury Road
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: How do you shoot people in street photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    no offence but i think its your mannerism.
    I never say anything, I just took out the camera only.

    So, next time must smile first.

  3. #23

    Default Re: How do you shoot people in street photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    I never say anything, I just took out the camera only.

    So, next time must smile first.
    depends on u wanna work. stand, look, smile, shoot? or walk, shoot, walk? i like to observe before shooting. let the people be comfortable with u standing there before shooting. unless the situation doesn't permit. then shoot and move off. or look for something else to shoot.

    i think when u take out your camera and start to aim it at people, they tend to think u are a kpo. so they wanna siam u. thats normal. i get shoo by people all the time. just have to keep doing and be thick skinned. smiling and asking works very well as well.

    maybe u can take a look at this thread

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489213

    almost everyone is using a manual focus film camera to shoot.
    Last edited by flipfreak; 3rd December 2009 at 05:15 PM.

  4. #24

    Default Re: How do you shoot people in street photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    At one time, I saw some baskets of durians on the streets. I took out my camera and wanted to shoot, the stall holder immediately shouted to me "Don't take! We are going to move it already." He might have misunderstood that I am going to STOMP it.
    Blame the garmen!
    Hawkers always think ppl with cameras taking photos of them are 'te gu' (ie. Ministry of Environment or HDB), taking evidence of illegal hawking or illegal use of stall space.

    Happened to me before, I just smiled, approached him (rather than quickly move away, which can give the impression of wrong doing), and engaged with the stall owner in conversation (can show him the pictures as well). This is how I learned that he thought I was a 'te gu'
    Last edited by pinholecam; 3rd December 2009 at 05:23 PM.

  5. #25

    Default Re: How do you shoot people in street photography?

    Thailand is a good ground for your shooting as people there very friend and keen for snap.

  6. #26

    Default Re: How do you shoot people in street photography?

    I tried it on foreign workers at rest. Walk to them, make eye contact, smile, lift camera nod head. they nod back, position, aim, fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!. smile again and nod and leave. Can do this even if you will stutter when toking to strangers like me.

  7. #27

    Default Re: How do you shoot people in street photography?

    I guess i am lucky so far. I have not been bummed by anyone before. And managed to capture some pictures. But I always try to avoid those photos where the 'street people' are looking into the camera. But sometimes for effect, I may wait for that moment...

  8. #28
    Member adorable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bury Road
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: How do you shoot people in street photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    I tried it on foreign workers at rest. Walk to them, make eye contact, smile, lift camera nod head. they nod back, position, aim, fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!. smile again and nod and leave. Can do this even if you will stutter when toking to strangers like me.
    I will definitely try! Thanks for the reply!

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: How do you shoot people in street photography?

    I tried a method from my friend, which to adjust my lens focus to roughly the distance.
    Use something else with the same distance as the subject to adjust the focus.
    if you are afraid of not catching the focus right, set to lower aperature and manual focus. (i personally have not tried that, just that i thought it might work)
    Than when the opportunity arise, SNAP... and RUN..! (well, not exactly.. just walk away)

    Sometimes if my focus don play on me, i get the right photos.
    If not, I will still walk away from the place. cause most likely those ppl will notice you by than.
    N D300 | N D50IR | N80-200mm | N18-105mm | T11-16mm | T17-50mm | SB600 | N MB-D10

  10. #30
    Member adorable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bury Road
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: How do you shoot people in street photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by DellSuperman View Post
    I tried a method from my friend, which to adjust my lens focus to roughly the distance.
    Use something else with the same distance as the subject to adjust the focus.
    if you are afraid of not catching the focus right, set to lower aperature and manual focus. (i personally have not tried that, just that i thought it might work)
    Than when the opportunity arise, SNAP... and RUN..! (well, not exactly.. just walk away)

    Sometimes if my focus don play on me, i get the right photos.
    If not, I will still walk away from the place. cause most likely those ppl will notice you by than.
    I have heard of photographer doing pre-focus and shoot when the subject appears at the planned location.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •