Thread: Advise needed for compact camera..

Default Advise needed for compact camera..

Hi all, I need some advise on which camera to get. Please enlighten me.

1) Sony HX1
    2) Sony H50
    3) Nikon P90
    4) Canon SX20IS

Thanks for all advises in advance..

Default Re: Advise needed for compact camera..

What research have you done? Have you read the reviews? What are your needs in a camera? What do you plan on shooting? Why do you need an ultra-zoom? Are you aware of the compromises of such a highly variable focal length lens?

These are questions you need to ask yourself first.
    Alpha

Yup, you must first tell us your budget and what you want from the cam.

My friend wanted a cam with high zoom range so I recommended the HX1 to her and it was over her budget although she liked the cam, so eventually, she went for the H20 which gives her the long zoom which she like, the small size which is definitely appealing and the price tag which suits her budget.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

budget would be less than 1k...

Actually I'm new to this.. thought of getting DSLR but then DSLR is out of my budget so thinking of getting something close to DSLR standard.. I know it won't get that standard.. but hope to get as close as possible..

had tried the 2 of the cams except the P90 & H50. But due to I'm new to all these, so didnt really get to play with the advanced functions..

I had compared the specs from some websites previously.. came to a conclusion between SX20 & HX1.. so from the specs, was wondering resolution is more important or the ISO & Shutter speed to get a better detailed picture?? if can have better zoom with clear picture would be an advantage.. but then came someone introducing H50 which was hard to get nowadays..

So hoping someone can give me some comments on the cameras..

Still you haven't stated what exactly you need, what your shooting style(s) or preferences are. Sorry to say, it looks like gadget hunting from what you describe here.
    For less then 1k you can get an entry level DSLR already, check the offerings of Sony and Pentax. But then again .. what are you into? Where do you see yourself walking to?
    Read up about a couple of topics;
    - Sensor size, megapixel count, pixel density as well as ISO and image noise
    - Zoom lenses are quality compromises, Image Stabilization
    - Image formats (RAW, JPG), compression and post processing tools
    - The 'triangle of exposure': ISO, shutter speed, aperture (there are two great newbie guides here)
    Don't forget topics about composition, shooting styles, perspective and so on. Birding needs other equipment than sunsets at the beach.

With all this you should be able to see what compacts and prosumers can do and where a DSLR might be the better choice.
    EOS

Hmm.. I do know that I need to read up more.. as I'm really new to this, so called zero knowledge on photograhy.. So of cause I will look at the specs 1st which is gadget hunting, think most beginner will do this ba..

I had read some stuffs.. but of cause won't be 100% understand it.. So if i were to take scenery (something like sunset kind of pics, or waterfalls n etc) with or without people, sometimes some close up pics of humans or items.. Aperture, ISO, Resolutions, pixels, focus are impt if I'm not wrong.. shutter speed, not so right??

But then.. SX20 from specs shows better resolution, where Sony got better ISO.. So which one is more impt to get a good scenery pic?? or any other factors I need to consider??

Really hope someone who own one of these cameras can enlighten me whether I can get good scenery pics.. Enlighten me more if I didn't state the needs...

which you shoot more

1) single person portrait (like those model shots?)

2) sports

3) closeup of insect / flowers etc

4) landscape / buildings

ofcause there are more but this should help you to kick start.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by ViCo View Post
    Hmm.. I do know that I need to read up more.. as I'm really new to this, so called zero knowledge on photograhy.. So of cause I will look at the specs 1st which is gadget hunting, think most beginner will do this ba..

I had read some stuffs.. but of cause won't be 100% understand it.. So if i were to take scenery (something like sunset kind of pics, or waterfalls n etc) with or without people, sometimes some close up pics of humans or items.. Aperture, ISO, Resolutions, pixels, focus are impt if I'm not wrong.. shutter speed, not so right??

But then.. SX20 from specs shows better resolution, where Sony got better ISO.. So which one is more impt to get a good scenery pic?? or any other factors I need to consider??

Really hope someone who own one of these cameras can enlighten me whether I can get good scenery pics.. Enlighten me more if I didn't state the needs...
    You're so far off on almost all the basics...

The most important thing for scenery is color.
    Alpha

Try this link, Steve's reviews and lists just about all the compact cameras.
    www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.
    Last edited by Nodpete; 1st December 2009 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViCo View Post
    Ok, then do a big list of all the specs. The main point now is (and that's why I listed this above): what does these specs really mean? Which are important? Does an increment of 1megapxel matter? What is the result or implication? Does 4mm more wide angle matter more than 20mm telephoto range? But not only this, details like Optical Viewfinder, battery and memory card types also have their importance.

Simply wrong. There is a sticky thread in Newbies Corner (subforum Articles and Guides) about the very basics of photography. Doesn't matter whether for DSLR or prosumer. Both capture light, both work the same way (in general).

Specs are the promises of the manufacturer. Reading reviews helps you to see whether promises are kept or not. Not sure what you mean with "better ISO" - do you refer to higher value? Don't get fooled, important is how the image looks when using such high ISO. Reviews show this. Scenery is a stationary object (usually), so high ISO is not necessary. Most people take a tripod and long exposure times if necessary.[/QUOTE]
    EOS