Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    136

    Default What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Hi am using a Nikon D80,

    Can i check what is the largest SD Card that can be use with it? How many GB? Is there a need for those High Speed one? Or I only need it if am shooting RAW.

    Anyone gt shops to recommend for selling? Need to get them b4 my trip on thursday, not enuff memory..

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    If i am not wrong it's 32 or 64 GB. That would be quite ex.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    If i am not wrong it's 32 or 64 GB. That would be quite ex.
    thanks,any one can double confirm? SDHC can right?

  4. #4
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    I would suggest that you carry a few pcs of 8GB SDHC or even the 4GB SDHC. Its safer that way coz if your 32GB or 64GB card get corrupted or lost, whatever you have taken is gone forever. So even if you used up the whole 8GB, you still have some more photos on the other 8GB or 4GB cards. Then also you can spread out your shoot & don't have to squeeze the whole trip onto 1 card.
    Though large capacity cards holds more raw files, they'll take longer time to load & you'll go bonkers going thru the whole lot. But its up to you. I rather be safe
    Take the shot!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    I would suggest that you carry a few pcs of 8GB SDHC or even the 4GB SDHC. Its safer that way coz if your 32GB or 64GB card get corrupted or lost, whatever you have taken is gone forever. So even if you used up the whole 8GB, you still have some more photos on the other 8GB or 4GB cards. Then also you can spread out your shoot & don't have to squeeze the whole trip onto 1 card.
    Though large capacity cards holds more raw files, they'll take longer time to load & you'll go bonkers going thru the whole lot. But its up to you. I rather be safe
    yeah am considering getting the SanDisk 8GB SDHC for $35 at one of the shops in SLS. 32GB n 64Gb too ex le la i also dont shoot so much at 1 go..

  6. #6
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    which reminds me of the days when i was using my d80 and folks were advicing to get several 1GB / 2GB instead of one 8 GB card because u do not carry all eggs in a basket..

    but the 8GB cards are now in a pretty good price point anyways and if u dun mind carrying more of them or u do not shoot too much it is a reasonable choice,.

    ryan

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Red Dot Island
    Posts
    448

    Unhappy Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    I would suggest that you carry a few pcs of 8GB SDHC or even the 4GB SDHC. Its safer that way coz if your 32GB or 64GB card get corrupted or lost, whatever you have taken is gone forever. So even if you used up the whole 8GB, you still have some more photos on the other 8GB or 4GB cards. Then also you can spread out your shoot & don't have to squeeze the whole trip onto 1 card.
    Though large capacity cards holds more raw files, they'll take longer time to load & you'll go bonkers going thru the whole lot. But its up to you. I rather be safe
    You are right to suggest using smaller SDHC card to aviod corruption. Can you also advice on what Class of the /SDHC should be used. Too high of the class 10 for example is it worth it? I understand there are Class 4, 6, 10 are all SDHC card.

    I have E-Pen 1 come with 8G Class 6 SDHC. I bought a 8G class 10 SDHC there is not much different in the read write time although Class 6 suppose to be 15mbps and class 10 is 30 mbps I think.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    You are right to suggest using smaller SDHC card to aviod corruption. Can you also advice on what Class of the /SDHC should be used. Too high of the class 10 for example is it worth it? I understand there are Class 4, 6, 10 are all SDHC card.

    I have E-Pen 1 come with 8G Class 6 SDHC. I bought a 8G class 10 SDHC there is not much different in the read write time although Class 6 suppose to be 15mbps and class 10 is 30 mbps I think.
    do we really need such a high write speed card? whats the write rate of D80 and other cameras?

  9. #9

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    You are right to suggest using smaller SDHC card to aviod corruption. Can you also advice on what Class of the /SDHC should be used. Too high of the class 10 for example is it worth it? I understand there are Class 4, 6, 10 are all SDHC card.

    I have E-Pen 1 come with 8G Class 6 SDHC. I bought a 8G class 10 SDHC there is not much different in the read write time although Class 6 suppose to be 15mbps and class 10 is 30 mbps I think.
    Class 2, 4, 6 , etc refers to the minimum transfer speed.
    Class 2 = 2MBytes/s minimum
    Class 4 = 4MBytes/s minimum
    and so on.

    For eg: a 32GB Sandisk Ultra SDHC will be class 4, 15MB/s. So expected transfer speed should be from 4-15MBytes/s.

    More useful if you take continuous shots and raw or video that fills up and needs to clear the camera buffer quickly.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Class 2, 4, 6 , etc refers to the minimum transfer speed.
    Class 2 = 2MBytes/s minimum
    Class 4 = 4MBytes/s minimum
    and so on.

    For eg: a 32GB Sandisk Ultra SDHC will be class 4, 15MB/s. So expected transfer speed should be from 4-15MBytes/s.

    More useful if you take continuous shots and raw or video that fills up and needs to clear the camera buffer quickly.
    haa. okay am going down to get it later.. leaving for my trip with my family tmr morning.. hope my noob photography skill can yield some nice photos

  11. #11

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Just calculate how many shots your are going to take and then figure out the card.

    Scandisk Extreme-II should do just fine.

  12. #12

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Just calculate how many shots your are going to take and then figure out the card.

    Scandisk Extreme-II should do just fine.
    no extreme2 only ultra2.

    and YES ultra2 is (more than) enough. i used around 32gb for a 1 month trip to 10 european countries. Actually I would recommend you to bring 3x cards (4gb or 8gb) den bring a laptop. a 12" or 13" netbook. and transfer when you can or after 1 card full

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    no extreme2 only ultra2.

    and YES ultra2 is (more than) enough. i used around 32gb for a 1 month trip to 10 european countries. Actually I would recommend you to bring 3x cards (4gb or 8gb) den bring a laptop. a 12" or 13" netbook. and transfer when you can or after 1 card full
    Ultra II is CF card wor.

    I gotten

    http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr/sandisk-ultra-sdhc

    8GB for $35

  14. #14
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    You are right to suggest using smaller SDHC card to aviod corruption. Can you also advice on what Class of the /SDHC should be used. Too high of the class 10 for example is it worth it? I understand there are Class 4, 6, 10 are all SDHC card.

    I have E-Pen 1 come with 8G Class 6 SDHC. I bought a 8G class 10 SDHC there is not much different in the read write time although Class 6 suppose to be 15mbps and class 10 is 30 mbps I think.
    To me or for me, I dun shoot high speed photography or many frames a second kind of shoot. So whether its class 2 or class 4 or class 10, it does not matter to me.

    As you said this > I have E-Pen 1 come with 8G Class 6 SDHC. I bought a 8G class 10 SDHC there is not much different in the read write time although Class 6 suppose to be 15mbps and class 10 is 30 mbps I think. < Its up to you. Save the extra $ or spend it if you don't feel the pinch.
    Take the shot!

  15. #15

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Junha0 View Post
    Ultra II is CF card wor.

    I gotten

    http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr/sandisk-ultra-sdhc

    8GB for $35
    ultra 2 is just a name for their speed. i think they change the name to just ultra le.

    I got 3 ultra2 SD cards and 1 ultra2 memstick pro, so its definitely not CF only

  16. #16

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Yes, Ultra is for SD. Extreme is for CF, my misquote.

    Ultra suits SD perfectly, imagine squeezing the word Extreme into the small card. Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Junha0 View Post
    Ultra II is CF card wor.

    I gotten

    http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr/sandisk-ultra-sdhc

    8GB for $35

  17. #17

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Yes, Ultra is for SD. Extreme is for CF, my misquote.

    Ultra suits SD perfectly, imagine squeezing the word Extreme into the small card. Ugly
    noooooooo........

    extreme and ultra is referring to their transfer speed. not type of cardddddddddddd

    there are ultra SD cards, CF cards, memory stick pros, and
    there are Extreme SD cards, CF cards, memorysticks etc etc, and there are
    Extreme Pro cards. all kinds of them

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    313

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Junha0 View Post
    yeah am considering getting the SanDisk 8GB SDHC for $35 at one of the shops in SLS. 32GB n 64Gb too ex le la i also dont shoot so much at 1 go..
    16gb SDHC sandisk selling for 47 bucks. i just bought! works good on my d90!

  19. #19

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    You are right to suggest using smaller SDHC card to aviod corruption. Can you also advice on what Class of the /SDHC should be used. Too high of the class 10 for example is it worth it? I understand there are Class 4, 6, 10 are all SDHC card.

    I have E-Pen 1 come with 8G Class 6 SDHC. I bought a 8G class 10 SDHC there is not much different in the read write time although Class 6 suppose to be 15mbps and class 10 is 30 mbps I think.
    class 6 = 6mb/sec write.
    There is no official specification for class 10 for SDHC.
    http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdhc/

  20. #20

    Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

    Confusing man. Thanks for clarification.

    Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    noooooooo........

    extreme and ultra is referring to their transfer speed. not type of cardddddddddddd

    there are ultra SD cards, CF cards, memory stick pros, and
    there are Extreme SD cards, CF cards, memorysticks etc etc, and there are
    Extreme Pro cards. all kinds of them

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •