Thread: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

Default What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

Hi am using a Nikon D80,

Can i check what is the largest SD Card that can be use with it? How many GB? Is there a need for those High Speed one? Or I only need it if am shooting RAW.

Anyone gt shops to recommend for selling? Need to get them b4 my trip on thursday, not enuff memory..

Thanks

Default Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

If i am not wrong it's 32 or 64 GB. That would be quite ex.

Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    If i am not wrong it's 32 or 64 GB. That would be quite ex.
    thanks,any one can double confirm? SDHC can right?

I would suggest that you carry a few pcs of 8GB SDHC or even the 4GB SDHC. Its safer that way coz if your 32GB or 64GB card get corrupted or lost, whatever you have taken is gone forever. So even if you used up the whole 8GB, you still have some more photos on the other 8GB or 4GB cards. Then also you can spread out your shoot & don't have to squeeze the whole trip onto 1 card.
    Though large capacity cards holds more raw files, they'll take longer time to load & you'll go bonkers going thru the whole lot. But its up to you. I rather be safe
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    I would suggest that you carry a few pcs of 8GB SDHC or even the 4GB SDHC. Its safer that way coz if your 32GB or 64GB card get corrupted or lost, whatever you have taken is gone forever. So even if you used up the whole 8GB, you still have some more photos on the other 8GB or 4GB cards. Then also you can spread out your shoot & don't have to squeeze the whole trip onto 1 card.
    Though large capacity cards holds more raw files, they'll take longer time to load & you'll go bonkers going thru the whole lot. But its up to you. I rather be safe
    yeah am considering getting the SanDisk 8GB SDHC for $35 at one of the shops in SLS. 32GB n 64Gb too ex le la i also dont shoot so much at 1 go..

which reminds me of the days when i was using my d80 and folks were advicing to get several 1GB / 2GB instead of one 8 GB card because u do not carry all eggs in a basket..

but the 8GB cards are now in a pretty good price point anyways and if u dun mind carrying more of them or u do not shoot too much it is a reasonable choice,.

ryan

Unhappy Re: What is the biggest SD Card that can be use?

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    You are right to suggest using smaller SDHC card to aviod corruption. Can you also advice on what Class of the /SDHC should be used. Too high of the class 10 for example is it worth it? I understand there are Class 4, 6, 10 are all SDHC card.

I have E-Pen 1 come with 8G Class 6 SDHC. I bought a 8G class 10 SDHC there is not much different in the read write time although Class 6 suppose to be 15mbps and class 10 is 30 mbps I think.

Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    You are right to suggest using smaller SDHC card to aviod corruption. Can you also advice on what Class of the /SDHC should be used. Too high of the class 10 for example is it worth it? I understand there are Class 4, 6, 10 are all SDHC card.

I have E-Pen 1 come with 8G Class 6 SDHC. I bought a 8G class 10 SDHC there is not much different in the read write time although Class 6 suppose to be 15mbps and class 10 is 30 mbps I think.
    do we really need such a high write speed card? whats the write rate of D80 and other cameras?

Class 2, 4, 6 , etc refers to the minimum transfer speed.
    Class 2 = 2MBytes/s minimum
    Class 4 = 4MBytes/s minimum
    and so on.

For eg: a 32GB Sandisk Ultra SDHC will be class 4, 15MB/s. So expected transfer speed should be from 4-15MBytes/s.

More useful if you take continuous shots and raw or video that fills up and needs to clear the camera buffer quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Class 2, 4, 6 , etc refers to the minimum transfer speed.
    Class 2 = 2MBytes/s minimum
    Class 4 = 4MBytes/s minimum
    and so on.

For eg: a 32GB Sandisk Ultra SDHC will be class 4, 15MB/s. So expected transfer speed should be from 4-15MBytes/s.

More useful if you take continuous shots and raw or video that fills up and needs to clear the camera buffer quickly.
    haa. okay am going down to get it later.. leaving for my trip with my family tmr morning.. hope my noob photography skill can yield some nice photos

Just calculate how many shots your are going to take and then figure out the card.

Scandisk Extreme-II should do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Just calculate how many shots your are going to take and then figure out the card.

Scandisk Extreme-II should do just fine.
    no extreme2 only ultra2.

and YES ultra2 is (more than) enough. i used around 32gb for a 1 month trip to 10 european countries. Actually I would recommend you to bring 3x cards (4gb or 8gb) den bring a laptop. a 12" or 13" netbook. and transfer when you can or after 1 card full

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    no extreme2 only ultra2.

and YES ultra2 is (more than) enough. i used around 32gb for a 1 month trip to 10 european countries. Actually I would recommend you to bring 3x cards (4gb or 8gb) den bring a laptop. a 12" or 13" netbook. and transfer when you can or after 1 card full
    Ultra II is CF card wor.

I gotten

http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr/sandisk-ultra-sdhc

8GB for $35

To me or for me, I dun shoot high speed photography or many frames a second kind of shoot. So whether its class 2 or class 4 or class 10, it does not matter to me.

As you said this > I have E-Pen 1 come with 8G Class 6 SDHC. I bought a 8G class 10 SDHC there is not much different in the read write time although Class 6 suppose to be 15mbps and class 10 is 30 mbps I think. < Its up to you. Save the extra $ or spend it if you don't feel the pinch.
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Junha0 View Post
    Ultra II is CF card wor.

I gotten

8GB for $35
    ultra 2 is just a name for their speed. i think they change the name to just ultra le.

I got 3 ultra2 SD cards and 1 ultra2 memstick pro, so its definitely not CF only

Yes, Ultra is for SD. Extreme is for CF, my misquote.

Ultra suits SD perfectly, imagine squeezing the word Extreme into the small card. Ugly

Ultra II is CF card wor.

I gotten

8GB for $35

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Yes, Ultra is for SD. Extreme is for CF, my misquote.

Ultra suits SD perfectly, imagine squeezing the word Extreme into the small card. Ugly
    noooooooo........

extreme and ultra is referring to their transfer speed. not type of cardddddddddddd

there are ultra SD cards, CF cards, memory stick pros, and
    there are Extreme SD cards, CF cards, memorysticks etc etc, and there are
    Extreme Pro cards. all kinds of them

yeah am considering getting the SanDisk 8GB SDHC for $35 at one of the shops in SLS. 32GB n 64Gb too ex le la i also dont shoot so much at 1 go..
    16gb SDHC sandisk selling for 47 bucks. i just bought! works good on my d90!

class 6 = 6mb/sec write.
    There is no official specification for class 10 for SDHC.
    http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdhc/

Confusing man. Thanks for clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    noooooooo........

extreme and ultra is referring to their transfer speed. not type of cardddddddddddd

there are ultra SD cards, CF cards, memory stick pros, and
    there are Extreme SD cards, CF cards, memorysticks etc etc, and there are
    Extreme Pro cards. all kinds of them