Thread: Possible to get a nice clean bokeh with a prosumer cam?

The North

Default Possible to get a nice clean bokeh with a prosumer cam?

Jus it possible to get a nice clean bokeh from prosumer cams? Like those u usually see from slr/dslr?

If not, what exactly is lacking in the prosumer tat the dslr haf... is it the way the aperture is built or the way the lens are?

If its possible...then what differentiates the prosumer cam from the consumer cam? As in...if prosumer cams can do it...y not consumer cams.

Hee...dis is one thing tat really puzzles me...

Hmm...I'm assuming you're not talking about the SHAPE of the bokeh yet.

Technically speaking, lens construction does play a part in forming a nice bokeh. If that's the case, there's nothing you can do in a consumer camera since you can't change the lens.

However, if you're talking about blurred background then it can be achieved through a shallow Depth of Field (DOF). To do that, you'll need any of the following:
    (1) a large aperture--the larger the aperture (smaller f-number), the shallower the DOF;
    (2) a long focal length--the longer the focal length, the shallower the DOF;
    (3) a close subject--the closer the subject, the shallower the DOF.

Most consumer cams (I'm talking about 35mm compacts here) lack either (1) or (2), if not both.