Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EF and EF-S question

Smile Re: EF and EF-S question

many thanks to those who put their effort in helping me to understand the basic terms, will move on to read more.

Default Re: EF and EF-S question

that's a good idea.
    There are a number of knowledgeable veterans in this forum, but also a number who know 80%, think they know 100%, and 'hantam' an answer for you, which in this case might mislead you.
    Not to say that the books can't be wrong too, but the chances are lower I guess.
    Exploring! :)

Deregistered

Hi Takengo,
    The best is to play with your SLR at the same time as your read (practical+theory).
    Sometimes, it is just hard to digest all the knowledge/information you learned.
    Play around with it, it will make you understand how the SLR photography works.
    Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by Sispecho View Post
    1)

EF and EF-S difference NOT only cosmetic. EF-S lens are made with the digital crop sensor in mind, so u can use the for any Digital SLR EXCEPT for 1D and 5D series, where the sensor is bigger than the others. This means that if u use this lens on them (or film SLRs) you will get a severe, hard vignetting on the sensor (meaning your rectangle picture will have black stuff on the corners or sides), and may i add Could cause damage to the mirror (its been speculated but i never tried) if used on 5D and 1D.
    not totally correct here.

EF-s is for 20D n newer canon aps-c DSLR,
    anything older would hv problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post

true, problem with 10d and Dxx series.

Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post

EF-S lens have a rubber protrusion at the back of the lens mount - this protrusion fits nicely into the "trench" in your crop sensor body.

Some of the pictures of the rubber protrusion can be found here:
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...s/efs-10d.html
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonds...57604422834954

If you use your EF-S lens in a Full Frame, if you can successfully mount it, your Full Frame mirror is likely to crash into the rubber protrusion when you take a shot and your mirror is likely to shatter.

Also take note of the following when using a EF lens on a crop body, your effective focal lengths will be multiplied by 1.6, hence you get less wide and more zoom. E.g. if you use a 24-70mm lens, you will get 38-112mm, hence at your widest end, you won't be as wide compared to say using a EF-S 17-85 (27-136). Hence you find your self moving back most of the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12