Thread: k-x Qn (highlight correction/shadow correction)

Default k-x Qn (highlight correction/shadow correction)

Hi:

k-x users (and maybe other pentax users), i want to point your attention to these 2 features in the k-x shooting menu...

what is highlight correction, and shadow correction, and what do they do? should i leave them on or not ah?

the user manual's description is not very helpful about this.. haha

"Highlight correction: expands the dynamic range and the light level expressed by the CMOS sensor and prevents bright areas from occuring"

"Shadow correction: expands the dynamic range and the light level expressed by the CMOS sensor and prevents darkareas from occuring"

any thoughts?

Default Re: k-x Qn (highlight correction/shadow correction)

It's a way of expanding the dynamic range of your Kx. If you enable highlight correction, you'd be less likely to have overblown bright areas, if you enable shadow correction, you'd more details in shadow/lowlight areas (but might show more noise too). Usually I only enable highlight correction

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    It's a way of expanding the dynamic range of your Kx. If you enable highlight correction, you'd be less likely to have overblown bright areas, if you enable shadow correction, you'd more details in shadow/lowlight areas (but might show more noise too). Usually I only enable highlight correction
    Thanks fengwei... so is this kind of like a HDR?

It's more like fake HDR. Real HDR requires multiple exposures, whereas fake HDR use one exposure, then increase the luminance of the dark areas and reduce the luminance of the bright areas. You will get to see more detail but a lot of noise in the dark areas.

also highlight correction works in raw mode, but shadow correction does not..
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

got it peeps.. thank you =)