Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 158

Thread: About K-x

  1. #41

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by snowydust View Post
    so it is likely to say that new k20d are rare in sg le? cos i was also considering kx and k20d, but i guess i would have like the k20d feel better
    2nd hand you want? there's one in BnS right now
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

  2. #42

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    2nd hand you want? there's one in BnS right now
    i am new to DSLR, so not sure what to look out for, would prefer a brand new one . anyway, i may consider kx. Thanks!

  3. #43

    Default Re: About K-x

    take a look at my question. this is how i progressed from almost getting a D3000 to a k-x.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598556

    and i must say this is one of the best decisions i have made =D

    if you are a newbie, maybe not sure whether you will go further and spend more on cameras in future, or maybe not sure what type, what model, what ANYTHING you want, this is for you.

    as a new shooter the lack of the red focusing light doesn't really bother me, because if it wasn't there to begin with, you do not really know what you are missing. after all, you make sure your shot is what you want in the viewfinder before taking the shot, don't you?

    also, i love the loud clik-klat! everytime i take a shot. hahahhaa. it's just me la though =)

  4. #44
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by tootboink View Post
    take a look at my question. this is how i progressed from almost getting a D3000 to a k-x.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598556

    and i must say this is one of the best decisions i have made =D

    if you are a newbie, maybe not sure whether you will go further and spend more on cameras in future, or maybe not sure what type, what model, what ANYTHING you want, this is for you.

    as a new shooter the lack of the red focusing light doesn't really bother me, because if it wasn't there to begin with, you do not really know what you are missing. after all, you make sure your shot is what you want in the viewfinder before taking the shot, don't you?

    also, i love the loud clik-klat! everytime i take a shot. hahahhaa. it's just me la though =)
    try to listen to k-7 shutter, it's much more sweeter.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

  5. #45

    Default Re: About K-x

    it's stealthy, refined but not whimpy..inspiring confidence & good for the voyeur in u..lol
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

  6. #46

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by tootboink View Post
    take a look at my question. this is how i progressed from almost getting a D3000 to a k-x.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598556

    and i must say this is one of the best decisions i have made =D

    if you are a newbie, maybe not sure whether you will go further and spend more on cameras in future, or maybe not sure what type, what model, what ANYTHING you want, this is for you.

    as a new shooter the lack of the red focusing light doesn't really bother me, because if it wasn't there to begin with, you do not really know what you are missing. after all, you make sure your shot is what you want in the viewfinder before taking the shot, don't you?

    also, i love the loud clik-klat! everytime i take a shot. hahahhaa. it's just me la though =)
    thanks for passing your experience to "younger" generation , the rebellion will prevail..
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

  7. #47

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    there's mention of K-x's DR here. according to him the higher DR is in the shadows range, not apparently advantageous unless the shadows are push processed.
    sounds like the nikon models, they tend to do that as well..

    and yes, i read that post.. if it is true, then the dr is very impressive, especially since it's close to that of the nikon d3.

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    whoopss...for real? I thought it's still quite abundant in sg.
    Yup... i didn't see any k20d around. K7 and K-x only... unless you count 2nd hand market.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

  9. #49
    Member cubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by maverickh View Post
    Hi night86mare,

    The ISO default setting for K-X is 200. However it can be adjusted to 100, when you expand the sensitivity .
    so if i'm the type that is more interested in low light photography (ie early morning / sundown) ... the k-x would be somewhat at a disadvantage ? since iso is something to do with light sensing ?

  10. #50

    Default Re: About K-x

    such shots require small apertures, longer exposure & tripod to look their best, so in a way yeah, native ISO 100 is preferred. In that case you might prefer the other pentax models other than k-x..on the other hand, actually I don't know much differences btwn shooting landscape at ISO200 or 100, must consult night86mare for the intricacies of landscape shooting..
    Last edited by elavan; 29th November 2009 at 09:40 PM.
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

  11. #51

    Default Re: About K-x

    Whilst on the topic of K-x, I spotted a very nice White K-x with white-coloured 18-55mm on display at that big electronics shop at Burlington Sq ground floor, beside Sim Lim Sq.

  12. #52

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by cubicon View Post
    so if i'm the type that is more interested in low light photography (ie early morning / sundown) ... the k-x would be somewhat at a disadvantage ? since iso is something to do with light sensing ?
    no, k-x will only be at disadvantage when it comes to long exposure photography.

    e.g. pictures like these







    these are exposures above a minute, the k-x DOES have a iso100 option, but it is "fake" in the sense that i could just shoot in native base iso200, and then dial it down in RAW output to jpg process, to keep it safe, i would probably have to cut down exposure timings by half a stop, which can make a lot of difference in smoothing out water or reflections.

    reflections are not really the problem, mainly murky water. most people would wonder why i say that it matters, since hey, i can stop down to say, f/9.5 or f/11, most of my long exposure photos are at f/8. the reason is because the filter i use - B+W ND110, seems to induce banding problems with side lighting when stopped down too much, you get a black band across the bottom of the shot that is a pain in the ass to correct, i only tried once and never did it again - that was near to 5 hours work, i.e. output 2 layers with equivalent contrast, then clone and clone and clone after erasing to blend them, because hard to get the exact 100% matching level of exposure.

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    spore cum indo
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no, k-x will only be at disadvantage when it comes to long exposure photography.

    e.g. pictures like these







    these are exposures above a minute, the k-x DOES have a iso100 option, but it is "fake" in the sense that i could just shoot in native base iso200, and then dial it down in RAW output to jpg process, to keep it safe, i would probably have to cut down exposure timings by half a stop, which can make a lot of difference in smoothing out water or reflections.

    reflections are not really the problem, mainly murky water. most people would wonder why i say that it matters, since hey, i can stop down to say, f/9.5 or f/11, most of my long exposure photos are at f/8. the reason is because the filter i use - B+W ND110, seems to induce banding problems with side lighting when stopped down too much, you get a black band across the bottom of the shot that is a pain in the ass to correct, i only tried once and never did it again - that was near to 5 hours work, i.e. output 2 layers with equivalent contrast, then clone and clone and clone after erasing to blend them, because hard to get the exact 100% matching level of exposure.
    nice landscape and panoramic photos

  14. #54

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    reflections are not really the problem, mainly murky water. most people would wonder why i say that it matters, since hey, i can stop down to say, f/9.5 or f/11, most of my long exposure photos are at f/8. the reason is because the filter i use - B+W ND110, seems to induce banding problems with side lighting when stopped down too much, you get a black band across the bottom of the shot that is a pain in the ass to correct, i only tried once and never did it again - that was near to 5 hours work, i.e. output 2 layers with equivalent contrast, then clone and clone and clone after erasing to blend them, because hard to get the exact 100% matching level of exposure.
    what kind of banding do you mean? you got some sample pics? thx

  15. #55
    Member cubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no, k-x will only be at disadvantage when it comes to long exposure photography.
    so if i'm trying stuff like those shown here , http://digital-photography-school.co...re-photography , this lack of iso100 will probably introduced a fair amount of noise ... even at iso200 ... which i think will sort of kill the pic and any effect that i'm trying to get.

    you also mention "exposure timings by half a stop" ... in layman terms i guess which means with the eg you gave ... from a minute of exposure to 30 sec?

    Last edited by cubicon; 30th November 2009 at 11:52 PM.

  16. #56
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by cubicon View Post
    so if i'm trying stuff like those shown here , http://digital-photography-school.co...re-photography , this lack of iso100 will probably introduced a fair amount of noise ... even at iso200 ... which i think will sort of kill the pic and any effect that i'm trying to get.

    you also mention "exposure timings by half a stop" ... in layman terms i guess which means with the eg you gave ... from a minute of exposure to 30 sec?
    i think the k-x has the multi-exposure mode that lets you combine 2-9 exposures into 1, either in "summation" mode or "averaging" mode. i don't think other brands have this feature on their entry-level cams. 2 effects of the "averaging" mode i can think of:

    1) it will increase ur exposure time by 9 times so i think that's more than the equivalent of a 3-stop ND filter (2x2x2=8). by just averaging 2 exposures will give you the same shutter speed as a true iso 100, so you're not disadvantaged in terms of shutter speed if you are willing to spend some effort.

    2) it will lower the noise of the photograph quite dramatically if you shoot 9 exposures because the camera "averages" out the noise from each individual exposure. if my math is right i think 8 exposures averaged gives equivalent of ISO25?

  17. #57

    Default Re: About K-x

    The K10D has it, not sure if K-x has the feature too. Any K-x user can confirm?
    http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2007...s-on-k10d.html

  18. #58

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    The K10D has it, not sure if K-x has the feature too. Any K-x user can confirm?
    http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2007...s-on-k10d.html
    yes, let me, a k-x user confirm. =) it is there.. up to 9 times.

  19. #59

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    such shots require small apertures, longer exposure & tripod to look their best, so in a way yeah, native ISO 100 is preferred. In that case you might prefer the other pentax models other than k-x..on the other hand, actually I don't know much differences btwn shooting landscape at ISO200 or 100, must consult night86mare for the intricacies of landscape shooting..
    As nightmare already explained, it won't affect low light shots unless you are looking specifically to get slower shutter speeds. But, of course if you are a good landscape photographer, then you will have a trusty ND and GND filter or two

    Nobody should shy away from a min ISO200 DSLR for the sake that its not ISO100. It can be important and useful to those who need and utilize it, but its not a killer feature. (ie. ISO200 does not mean CANNOT take landscapes)

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: About K-x

    Quote Originally Posted by hamustar View Post
    Whilst on the topic of K-x, I spotted a very nice White K-x with white-coloured 18-55mm on display at that big electronics shop at Burlington Sq ground floor, beside Sim Lim Sq.
    I see that too.... everyday on the way to work. Not a good idea because the sun rises directly opposite the shop. While, it's very sexy to see sunlight on the kx... but i seriously don't think it's a good idea.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •