Thread: A ray of light

Default A ray of light

Took this picture at Temasek Poly one night with my GF1 in B&W mode. It is a floor light and I am trying to depict a visual feeling of light in darkness in the picture. Hope to have your comments on whether I have succeeded and if not, anything I can do to improve my composition? Thanks!

Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Default Re: A ray of light

too much thought and emotion into a simple picture. not very interesting composition. it just doesn't carry the message of light in darkness well enough.

it has potential, but not when you have gone so close.

now imagine a slightly wider picture such that you have all the horizontals and verticals nicely straight - you do this by aligning your camera back vertical to the wall, and making sure it is parallel to the wall as well - now picture it in your mind, with the light source placed on the upper right third of the frame.

which is better?

Thanks for the suggestion bro! You are right, after visualizing, it does seems to be better. I will go back to the same spot and try taking the photo again.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it has potential, but not when you have gone so close.

now imagine a slightly wider picture such that you have all the horizontals and verticals nicely straight - you do this by aligning your camera back vertical to the wall, and making sure it is parallel to the wall as well - now picture it in your mind, with the light source placed on the upper right third of the frame.

which is better?
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.