128 33.60%
  • check in by itself,means just like a luggage just check in

39 10.24%
  • check in by putting in a luggage

211 55.38%
  • misc(please state)

3 0.79%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Brining tripod overseas,handcarry or check in?

Default Re: Brining tripod overseas,handcarry or check in?

Quote Originally Posted by akrapovic600 View Post
    Nt sure if it helps..

On my recent trip to Taipei via Jetstar, on the way over i check in my tripod as there's free space in luggage but on the trip back, i hand-carry it(Strap to the side of my camera gear backpack) without any issue.

Can my sirui TX1004 with G20 ball head be able to hand carry on to the aircraft or rather i will wan to strap it on to my flipside 200 bag together with me cam equip....

Can it be carry on board?

Quote Originally Posted by bragbig View Post
    Can my sirui TX1004 with G20 ball head be able to hand carry on to the aircraft or rather i will wan to strap it on to my flipside 200 bag together with me cam equip....

Can it be carry on board?
    Most airlines will allow you too carry on your tripod but some have refused saying that it could be used as a weapon! Fortunately, the latter scenario is rare.

Also, weight restrictions for carry on pieces vary greatly from airline to airline (but luckily most don't check). I know someone who almost had to check her laptop last week because it made her carry-on bag too heavy.

Unfortunately, there is no solid answer here for you and the rules can vary from airline to airline and from the mood of the person checking you in. Carry-on baggage is usually OK but always be prepared that you may have to put your tripod into checked luggage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by raydio

Most airlines will allow you too carry on your tripod but some have refused saying that it could be used as a weapon! Fortunately, the latter scenario is rare.

Also, weight restrictions for carry on pieces vary greatly from airline to airline (but luckily most don't check). I know someone who almost had to check her laptop last week because it made her carry-on bag too heavy.

Unfortunately, there is no solid answer here for you and the rules can vary from airline to airline and from the mood of the person checking you in. Carry-on baggage is usually OK but always be prepared that you may have to put your tripod into checked luggage.
    Laptop is a personal item that is not included in hand carry weight. Key is to have a separate bag for laptop and charger and not lump together inside the hand carry when weighing. If so, remove from handcarry bag before weighing.

I checked it in...

I got 1 friend, check in tripod. He put in the tripod in a tripod bag. When he coome back to singapore & peeked into the other side of the conveyor (staff area) to his horror, the person pratically threw the tripod from the box to the conveyor... the handler also did the same thing to everyone's luggage :O so he learnt a lesson: must buy luggage insurance...

Oh btw his ballhead suffered minor injuries, and one of the tripod leg got fractured. But apart frm that its alive...

Quote Originally Posted by arikyeo View Post
    I got 1 friend, check in tripod. He put in the tripod in a tripod bag. When he coome back to singapore & peeked into the other side of the conveyor (staff area) to his horror, the person pratically threw the tripod from the box to the conveyor... the handler also did the same thing to everyone's luggage :O so he learnt a lesson: must buy luggage insurance...

Oh btw his ballhead suffered minor injuries, and one of the tripod leg got fractured. But apart frm that its alive...
    The act of throwing luggage is very common. I make it a rule to never pack anything in checked luggage that is valuable or breakable. I have seen luggage been thrown around on several occasions... like they were beach balls.

Blog Entries

That is why hard shell luggages from samsonite are so good. My Samsonite Oyster has been with my dad and then me for the last 20+ years. It's been thrown, stacked, fell down staircases fully packed. Hell, I even sat on it so many times in airports, trains and I am not light. Cosmetically looks like it has gone through hell but still going strong after following me all over the world. Yes it is the same luggage that is in the ad with the bull stampede in Europe. It is that tough. And I pack my tripod in that luggage most of the time if I am not hand carrying it. Never had an issue.

Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 01:51 AM.

Isn't that the norm?

Quote Originally Posted by jayque View Post
    in between everything in my luggage ... the clothes acts as a cushion
    This is what I do too. I have also hand carried the tripod onboard too, never experienced any problems with any of the staff. Depends on luck I guess?
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

My worst experience is seeing the luggage handlers in (IIRC) Kunming, China, literally jumping on luggage bags for pure entertainment. In my recent trip to Europe, I saw a bag in the conveyer belt which had a shell that was caved inwards (the Samsonite kind)

Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    My worst experience is seeing the luggage handlers in (IIRC) Kunming, China, literally jumping on luggage bags for pure entertainment. In my recent trip to Europe, I saw a bag in the conveyer belt which had a shell that was caved inwards (the Samsonite kind)
    Theft and destruction of luggage (for the purpose of security checks) is possible in some airports too. I would never trust any valuables in checked luggage anywhere in the world.

check in inside the baggage... its very troublesome to hand carry tripod in the cabin...

I check in too. cos tripod is travel series so can fit in.
    You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Had trouble flying out of milan. Have a small lightweight velbon that i thought i would carry - they didnt like it - had to check it in separate by itself.
    Nowadays i just check in to save the aggro.

Not like i need the tripod on the plane - lol
    Life is not a spectator sport
    Singapore Headshot Photography | My Blog

My tripod looks like a rifle from far. So, I better hide it inside luggage. But from another thread, those tsa from usa r not that friendly. Wait they took it, I sad. But my size too big, carry it onboard, scare no place to put. Really headaches lor.
    Last edited by BBTM; 16th March 2011 at 02:50 PM.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by shahrulesa View Post
    I was asked to checked in before. They were worried I use it as a weapon to hijack the plane which is nonsense of course since I've carried 6 bottles of anesthetic gas on board before.. enough to put the whole plane to sleep.. LOL.
    Such funny idea they have. That's why I've traveled thru trains, that way I don't have to be separated with my tripod.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345