View Poll Results: What method do you use to shoot star trails

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I take single exposure

    8 42.11%
  • I stack multiple shots to create star trail

    11 57.89%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Shooting Star Trails - long exposure or stacking

  1. #21
    Member emlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Shooting Star Trails - long exposure or stacking

    thanks so much for these discussions and contributions.
    looks like the newer sensors can do up to 1hour.
    great tip on how and why use stacking.

    Here's a thought (I read from somewhere): do you really need timer remote take multiple shots for stacking, or can you just use continuous drive and set to manual 30sec shot and lock the normal remote control?

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Shooting Star Trails - long exposure or stacking

    Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    thanks so much for these discussions and contributions.
    looks like the newer sensors can do up to 1hour.
    great tip on how and why use stacking.

    Here's a thought (I read from somewhere): do you really need timer remote take multiple shots for stacking, or can you just use continuous drive and set to manual 30sec shot and lock the normal remote control?
    I didn't need a remote on my D200. Don't need one on my D700 for that too.

    I used what is called the "interval shooting" mode. Even the beginner's D5000 comes with it.

    Don't know about Canon.

  3. #23
    Member emlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Shooting Star Trails - long exposure or stacking

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    I didn't need a remote on my D200. Don't need one on my D700 for that too.

    I used what is called the "interval shooting" mode. Even the beginner's D5000 comes with it.

    Don't know about Canon.
    Thanks. nope, dont have that on my Canon. mine is a 4-year-old model. good for Nikon users then.

  4. #24
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    2,946

    Default Re: Shooting Star Trails - long exposure or stacking

    Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    Thanks. nope, dont have that on my Canon. mine is a 4-year-old model. good for Nikon users then.
    aiya.. buy a timer release lah.... save so much money for what ?

    oh.. did I hear someone mentioning my name here

  5. #25

    Default Re: Shooting Star Trails - long exposure or stacking

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    did you turn long exposure noise reduction off?

    if there's one thing i could change about my camera, it would be that. i wish i could be able to turn the bloody noise reduction off.

    you'd think that waiting for a 4 minute exposure is gruelling enough, but waiting for another 4 minutes for your camera to somehow spit out the image so you can see if you did a botched job... ... well we've all been spoilt in the digital age.
    Yea, of course the noise reduction is off
    I won't wanna wait 40 mins for the photo to be saved

    And there wasn't as much noise as I expected.. much much less in fact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •