Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Need abit help & advice...

  1. #1

    Default Need abit help & advice...

    Hi All,

    I am trying to shoot some small figurines...and I am using Sigma 24-70mm to shoot..but it just cant really focus well...and the pictures really horrible...and how can i solve this problem???
    Does it mean i need a macro lens for this??

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Small and close-up = macro.

    You could try a close-up filter, but for best performance and quality, try to rent a macro lens.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    What does "can't really focus well" mean? What happens exactly? What exactly is horrible about the pictures? Care to share one or two?
    Have a look at the "Minimum Focusing Distance" of the lens. It's in the manual, or online.
    EOS

  4. #4

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    What does "can't really focus well" mean? What happens exactly? What exactly is horrible about the pictures? Care to share one or two?
    Have a look at the "Minimum Focusing Distance" of the lens. It's in the manual, or online.

    cant really focus well mean...the camera try to focus but the picture just very blur...sometimes the focus box just become red..and i cant click the shutter release...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    cant really focus well mean...the camera try to focus but the picture just very blur...sometimes the focus box just become red..and i cant click the shutter release...
    You try to increase ISO of 800.
    Enjoy to take photo anywhere.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    i suspect you are shooting in a dark situation as you said can't click the shutter release so it is hunting. if it focused it is blur because you have a slow shutter, the blur is due to handshake..best to provide us aperture, shutter, ISO and we can advise you best solution..

  7. #7

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by gimumancer View Post
    i suspect you are shooting in a dark situation as you said can't click the shutter release so it is hunting. if it focused it is blur because you have a slow shutter, the blur is due to handshake..best to provide us aperture, shutter, ISO and we can advise you best solution..
    Sounds more like he's too close. The MFD is too long.
    Alpha

  8. #8

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    give us more details of the shoot and post up the blur photo so we can see what the problem is.

    u do know that all lens have a minimum focusing distance, which if u go too close, ur lens will continuously hunt for the right focal point which isn't going to happen and thus ur lens will never be in focus, neither can u take that shot.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Sounds more like he's too close. The MFD is too long.
    I am using 1/125, f2.8 at ISO 400 ...

    as due to the object is pretty small..i need to go abit close..and i try to shoot at 70mm..but sometimes it can be focused but very blur ... the area i am shooting is pretty dim but i did try to use flash to cover up...maybe i am too close to the object..

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    I am using 1/125, f2.8 at ISO 400 ...
    That has ZERO to do with MFD.
    Alpha

  11. #11

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    I am using 1/125, f2.8 at ISO 400 ...

    as due to the object is pretty small..i need to go abit close..and i try to shoot at 70mm..but sometimes it can be focused but very blur ... the area i am shooting is pretty dim but i did try to use flash to cover up...maybe i am too close to the object..
    post a picture with the exif intact...or at least the hyperlink to the picture.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  12. #12
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Try buying a close-up +4 filter to try.
    It will look better with closer zoom.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    den its an MFD problem lor..just zoom in all the way n step back i little until ur cam can focus..the point is to get ur lens abit further away frm the object that ur shooting.
    NIKON D60|18-55mm|18-200mm|Raynox DCR 250|Di622
    Fail to plan is planning to fail.

  14. #14
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tay76101 View Post
    You try to increase ISO of 800.
    Care to explain in which way higher ISO will help to overcome MFD?
    EOS

  15. #15

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    Hi All,

    I am trying to shoot some small figurines...and I am using Sigma 24-70mm to shoot..but it just cant really focus well...and the pictures really horrible...and how can i solve this problem???
    Does it mean i need a macro lens for this??
    let me explain this in simpler terms, i guess.

    your lens, cannot focus on something too close, because of manufacturing constraint.

    take your finger, put in on your nose, your finger is oof. your eyes cannot focus on your finger because too close, same thing, the lens cannot do it too.

    how to solve..

    1) buy bigger figurine

    2) buy macro lens

    3) use raynox add-ons

    4) use macro close up filters

    first one is probably cheapest.. 2nd one most expensive, etc..

  16. #16

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    let me explain this in simpler terms, i guess.

    your lens, cannot focus on something too close, because of manufacturing constraint.

    take your finger, put in on your nose, your finger is oof. your eyes cannot focus on your finger because too close, same thing, the lens cannot do it too.

    how to solve..

    1) buy bigger figurine

    2) buy macro lens

    3) use raynox add-ons

    4) use macro close up filters

    first one is probably cheapest.. 2nd one most expensive, etc..

    erm..those figurine...not cheap...the price can be like a mid range lens...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    erm..those figurine...not cheap...the price can be like a mid range lens...


    i was just joking

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Johor Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    get a marco len...

    for marco shots, u normally need a much much hogher aperature value
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

  19. #19
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    get a marco len...
    for marco shots, u normally need a much much hogher aperature value
    You mean macro? Marco is a male name ...
    EOS

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Need abit help & advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    erm..those figurine...not cheap...the price can be like a mid range lens...


    1. step back until you are at least 1.5m away from your figurine. (I have no experience with Sigma lenses)
    2. Try shooting.
    3. See photo.
    4. Good? If so, take a step forward (10cm?). Else, jump to step 6
    5. repeat steps 2 to 4
    6. (Photo looks bad) Tell us how close you were

    Step 6 will let you know the MFD (minimum focusing distance) of the lens you are using to shoot your figurine. If you want the figurine to look any bigger, please heed the suggestions already mentioned by the others. I'm sorry but with just your current lens alone, you can't get your figurines to look any bigger than you would have achieved at step 6.
    Last edited by aspenx; 29th November 2009 at 12:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •