Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Footwear for Winter

Default Re: Footwear for Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Any recommendation on where to get them? I did a search on google and the results are pointing me to e-mart.
    goto the timberland outlet at IMM, I got mine there last month b4 my Europe trip. Cheap and good!! waterproot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Any recommendation on where to get them? I did a search on google and the results are pointing me to e-mart.
    World of Sports at Cineleisure has Columbia boots, and Merrell i think. You can also try Columbia store at Wheelock Place. North Face at suntec city and Ion orchard (B3), near the entrance. The sales lady at Suntec City is very knowledgeable - in general the sales staff at North face know their stuff. There's also this shoe store between Capitol and Peninsula Plaza that sells Columbia, Merrill, Timberland, etc.. (i forgot the store name)

I've a pair of waterproof Columbia boots which i wore in Chicago at -29 deg Celsius, in rain and in snow - kept the foot relatively warm and dry. (in winter, chicago is terribly cold with chilly and icy cold wind from the lake)

for around -10 deg Celsius, I was still able to walk around in just cotton socks and my leather boots, without having my toes frozen cold.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i was there last year, when you are skiing you will rent skiing boots and keep your shoes in a locker, you need warm socks

if you want to walk around in the snow, you will need some kind of boots with thick soles to keep warm. the snow is wet, so look for boots that will not absorb water.
    other than that you will be fine

enjoy yourself and take lots of photos

thread moved
    Bro, I am going there in the next couple of weeks. i thought the skiing boots can be used to walk around as well, that is when you detach it from the ski itself. is that not right? If i need another pair of boots to walk around in the snow, then I need to get some because I don't plan to ski the entire day, if I could get myself standing up properly that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Inova2008 View Post
    Bro, I am going there in the next couple of weeks. i thought the skiing boots can be used to walk around as well, that is when you detach it from the ski itself. is that not right? If i need another pair of boots to walk around in the snow, then I need to get some because I don't plan to ski the entire day, if I could get myself standing up properly that is.
    Ah ski boots are not the most comfortable things to walk around in. If they were snowboard boots, way more comfortable and you could walk around in them all day.

Another minus for ski boots are that they don't offer much grip and are actually very slippery when walking around wet floors.

Blog Entries

ski boots do not allow you to flex your ankles

ski boots do not allow you to flex your ankles
    Some models have "walking" mode, where it allows more flex. Especially the rental ones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Some models have "walking" mode, where it allows more flex. Especially the rental ones.
    i did not notice any of those at high 1 when i was there last year

Default Re: Walking mode

i did not notice any of those at high 1 when i was there last year
    Most of the rental geat cater to the masses, but if you want a dedicated pair, many brands offer this feature.
    There is a risk that you will accidentally switch to this and lose the stiffness whilst on the slopes, so it may be simpler to stick to the 'fixed' boots.

Cheers
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Ah ski boots are not the most comfortable things to walk around in. If they were snowboard boots, way more comfortable and you could walk around in them all day.

Another minus for ski boots are that they don't offer much grip and are actually very slippery when walking around wet floors.
    Ski boots? Erm you cant walk in those things, they're meant to latch on skis and not for walking. You mean snow boots?

I lived a while in the states before went skiing a couple of times and have not seen this. In any case, it's a chore to walk in those things! Who wants to walk around in boots weighing 1+kg per foot!

In any case, TS if there is going to be quite a bit of snow/slush, just get a pair of waterproof boots. Sure you can get around in sneakers if it's cold but DRY. Not fun to have your shoes/feet wet when it's -30 celsius.

Quote Originally Posted by texasrs View Post
    I lived a while in the states before went skiing a couple of times and have not seen this. In any case, it's a chore to walk in those things! Who wants to walk around in boots weighing 1+kg per foot!
    As an example, http://www.rei.com/product/773232

"Ski/walk device automatically releases the rear cuff when the upper buckles are unlatched, allowing the lower leg to move freely as in natural walking"

They should prob still be pretty heavy so pointless for walking about during travel. In the ski resort having this feature is nice for walking about but outside of that walkabouts while travelling this is probably impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    timberland shoes?
    its very slippery on ice, i think may have to get those addons with metal spikes at the bottom is walking on icy floors.
    α850 | SAL2470Z | SAL135F18Z | SAL70200G | SAL50F1.4

Quote Originally Posted by gamebit View Post
    its very slippery on ice, i think may have to get those addons with metal spikes at the bottom is walking on icy floors.
    I think what you mean are "Crampon rated" shoes.

Most shoes don't come with spikes, unless you are referring to football boots and golf shoes

The series hiking shoes from Scarpa, La Sportiva or Salomon are examples of such shoes. Timberland is more like a social or casual shoe mostly.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Make sure make sure make sure you DON'T wear cotton socks... pair a few pair of thick woolen socks. Once cotton socks gets wet, water will retain and that'll freeze your feets off. Woolen socks will disperse moisture and dry really fast.

This is a timely thread seeing how it's winter now. Planning a trip to Harbin in Jan. I am looking at this Merrell Snowmotion 6 Waterproof --> Click here for details.

Anyone has any experience with it? Is it available in SG (shop outlet)?

----

On another note, I have used Timberland before and I think they are pretty hopeless. I am currently using Merrell and after 4-5 yrs, I am still using them.
    Last edited by astroboy; 20th December 2009 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    This is a timely thread seeing how it's winter now. Planning a trip to Harbin in Jan. I am looking at this Merrell Snowmotion 6 Waterproof --> Click here for details.

Anyone has any experience with it? Is it available in SG (shop outlet)?

----

On another note, I have used Timberland before and I think they are pretty hopeless. I am currently using Merrell and after 4-5 yrs, I am still using them.

Hi Astroboy, I will be going to Harbin and Jilin from 5-15 Jan 2010. When are you going to Harbin?

The Merrell Snowmotion shoe look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Inova2008 View Post

Like what the others said, ski boots are not comfortable to walk in, and is very SLIPPERY on hard ground, not a pleasant feeling to fall when carrying all your ski stuff.

Blog Entries

First couple days of new snowfall because the snow's not packed in yet and its really not slippery at all..... 3rd day onwards, with constant foot and vehicle pressures, snow tuns into ice .... thats where problems begin where even a good pair of shoes will not really help

Dont need to go to the extreme of getting crampons for city or regular walking in icy conditions......... consider using ice studs or ice cleats that u can just strap onto your shoes without looking out of place..... these usually cost $10-20 a pair and can be tucked away in your shoe rack once u get home.... you cant do that with crampons (they look like bear traps ha ha)

Google 'ice studs' or 'ice cleats' .......

I assume most of u will be using it in snow for a few weeks at best

-------------------------------------

Otherwise, ever think about getting something like this that will still serve you well on hikes too AFTER winter ?

http://www.columbia.com/mens-hiking-...l?sz=1&start=0

Beach Rd hawker center upstairs have a few shops carrying various models of Columbia for about S$160 before bargaining
    Last edited by ed9119; 21st December 2009 at 09:44 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast