Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Yep, have to agreed that due to negligence and partially tobe self blamed, as so far only two incident happened, only that the amount are not so scary one. Lesson well learned, not taught in any school, colleges or institute.
    Been there myself in the old days. Now I just use watertight contracts with clearly defined courts of Jurisdiction for settlement of disputes and whose laws also happen to govern the contract. This is essential for anyone working on an international shoot.

The last person who failed to pay was about 3 years ago, I recoverd 100% of the debt along with the entire legal costs. The client was not happy as I had the bailiffs sieze his Mercedes to pay the bill, it was sold at auction hehe.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Been there myself in the old days. Now I just use watertight contracts with clearly defined courts of Jurisdiction for settlement of disputes and whose laws also happen to govern the contract. This is essential for anyone working on an international shoot.

The last person who failed to pay was about 3 years ago, I recoverd 100% of the debt along with the entire legal costs. The client was not happy as I had the bailiffs sieze his Mercedes to pay the bill, it was sold at auction hehe.
    wow, scary, it's a face off scenario. Mine only stop short at the small claims tribunal. No legal cost involved.

It's a !@#! nightmare and not worth it in most cases unless it's over about 30K.
    Hello Ian,

For overseas clients, we get a 50% deposit and payment on end of shoot. I learned this from an assist with a Magnum photographer way back in the 90s.

All the clients I have done this have agreed to the terms.

Btw, with local clients, once they start bargaining asking for 10-5% off, I ask for COD or 7day payment. Tried it once or twice this year and was surprised that it worked. Now I do it for all clients asking for discounts. I have shared this with pro photog friends and it works.

Z
    Last edited by Zohan; 30th November 2009 at 11:46 PM.

Imagine...a veteran photographers for 33 years yet get to meet up with clients unwilling to pay, how about those new comers...will be like swimming across the amazon river. Along the journey sure to be get bitten by some serpent or what, as long as it's not anaconda...

Imagine...a veteran photographers for 33 years yet get to meet up with clients unwilling to pay, how about those new comers...will be like swimming across the amazon river. Along the journey sure to be get bitten by some serpent or what, as long as it's not anaconda...
    $hit clients are a global problem, a$$holes ditto. Thieving barstewards of clients come in all colours, nationalities and sizes, all with a common attitude, to not pay unless they absolutely have to.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

$hit clients are a global problem, a$$holes ditto. Thieving barstewards of clients come in all colours, nationalities and sizes, all with a common attitude, to not pay unless they absolutely have to.
    Hahaha... you summed it up in 33 words!
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    Hahaha... you summed it up in 33 words!
    I can sum it up in less than 33 words ... watch and be in awe.

Non-paying Ar$ehole clients are the bane of photographers worldwide.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

just to be sure, the person did message you from a ymail account right?

Serpents are easy to deal with, spiders aren't As I know to my own detriment.

The sad truth is that there's a bunch of business cowboys who will never pay, and legal action doesn't scare them. You get a small claims or court order against them and they still won't pay, send the bailiffs round and they aren't home or have "moved". Show up at their office and you'll be stonewalled with the usual krap about "it's in the post" "being transferred" or some other lame excuse. Selling the debt to the local debt collection agency run by what we call in Australia a "colourful local identitiy" (read infamous underworld person, usually associated with the mafia, bikies, triads etc) will usually result in the fairly prompt repayment of what you're owed, less collection fees (range from 10% to 50% depending on the size of the debt owed). The bonus from this is said cowboy might just accidently trip over and fall on a goons fist, or their BMW, Merc etc might have a meeting with mr baseball bat which can be poetic justice
    Last edited by Ian; 11th December 2009 at 07:03 AM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Basing on your very general and brief spec...

* a nominal day rate service charge ...
    The one thing nobody's given advice on is what that daily rate would be for a non-star photographer in Singapore.

Any ideas anybody? I guess top-level guys would get S$2000-3000/day for this kind of thing if commissioned by a company, but what would an up-and-coming photographer trying to get established charge?

Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    The one thing nobody's given advice on is what that daily rate would be for a non-star photographer in Singapore.

Any ideas anybody? I guess top-level guys would get S$2000-3000/day for this kind of thing if commissioned by a company, but what would an up-and-coming photographer trying to get established charge?
    I'd hazard a guess that about $400-500 a day plus expenses, travel, meals and accom would be right for someone who's working as a bottom end feeder in the profession. The last time I did something like this was 20 odd years ago and I was charging nearly SGD 400 plus expenses. Nowadays you'd be looking at at least 3K-4 SGD a day plus all costs including my PA/AP, double the figures if you're a celebrity
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12