Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

  1. #1

    Default Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Hi guys,

    I'm seeking your input and experiences for charging for an assignment.

    Assignment is for a 11 day vacation locally. I'm hired as a photographer for an overseas client. Photographer to be around at least 10 hours per day.

    It's not a normal request. Any advise? Or tips to look out for with regards to charging, payment terms or in general?

    I'm looking to produce a coffee table book, slideshow, website, etc package. It's a whole complete package to document their travels. Price is not too big an issue, quality is.

    If you'll allow me to pick your brains. Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Basing on your very general and brief spec...

    Do bear in mind, once on location, it will be like 24/11, the client would most probably want to squeeze the last drop of energy out of you.

    it willl be safer to submit the quote in two part,

    * a nominal day rate service charge with or w/o option for certain discount in view of bad weathers or delay, if no other works can be done,( idling time ) i.e. shoot something indoors when weather is bad etc.

    * all means of transportation from the moment leaving Sin, on location until return will be at client's expense.

    * luggage overweight charge for photo gear and other equipment will be also at client's expense.

    * stay and meals also at client's provision.

    * assistant rate also at client's expense.

    * separate quote for post production charges.

    * equipment insurance

    * personal and assistant's insurance

    That's about all, work out the details yourself.

    Somebody want to add ?

    Wait a minute....vacation locally ? what do you mean by that ?
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 28th November 2009 at 03:15 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    11 days for a coffee table book ?

    The National Geographics spent 4 years in Vietnam doing for their tourist board there.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Wait a minute....vacation locally ? what do you mean by that ?
    meaning, it's an overseas client coming to Singapore on vacation. Local assignment, overseas client. That's why it's a little out of the norm.
    Last edited by quinton; 28th November 2009 at 03:34 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    11 days for a coffee table book ?

    The National Geographics spent 4 years in Vietnam doing for their tourist board there.
    Well, coffee table album for the vacation. About 40-50 images, select shots. Even weddings have coffee table albums for 1-2 days of outdoor/location photography. Nat Geog has deep pockets and great photographers. I'm not surprised they spent so much time there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Quote Originally Posted by quinton View Post
    Hi guys,

    It's not a normal request. Any advise? Or tips to look out for with regards to charging, payment terms or in general?

    I'm looking to produce a coffee table book, slideshow, website, etc package. It's a whole complete package to document their travels. Price is not too big an issue, quality is.

    If you'll allow me to pick your brains. Thanks.
    Firstly get everything you are to do and not to do written down in a legally binding contract and have them sign it and date it. Do this before they arrive. Stipulate all issues including who owns the copyright, the use of bylines and any limitations on the use of the images etc. Don't forget unless you transfer the copyright to your name they as a client will OWN 100% Copyright of your images (even the rejects).

    Some of the things you'll need to include in the contract are:

    1) Working hours per day
    2) Meal breaks
    3) Transport and accomodation as required
    4) Copyright issues (transfer, rights useage periods etc)
    5) Fair useage issues (if you t/fer the copyright to yourself)
    6) Court juristiction (make it a Singaporean Court)
    7) Cancellation fees (exit early fee if they want to break the contract once in SG)
    8) Any specific terms relating to the assingment, such as prints.
    9) Sundry expenses such as entry charges to JBP or other locations, who pays what.
    10) Royalty payments for image use (if copyright transferred)
    11) Schedule of payments for the assignment.
    12) Work out an hourly rate for the post assignment work and charge accordingly.

    Payment: For an assignment this long and with it being an overseas client I'd be asking for 25~50% payment up front, or enough to cover your living expenses for the period PLUS transport expenses.

    When I'm doing work for a new client who is based overseas I always charge my expenses up front just in case they do a runner and don't pay. Recovering money from someone (be it a corporation, company or individual) is damn near impossible and the costs involved usually outweigh the value of the bill.

    Also on payment, for an 11 day period I'd be looking for partial payments every 3-4 days just to be on the safe side. Cash or bank deposit ONLY. Do not accept cheques, travellers cheques or foreign currency as these may be forgeries (you'd be surprised at how low some folks can go to avoid paying for things).

    Good luck
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  7. #7
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Ian probably nailed it all down.

    in short, just treat it like protracted AD wedding photography, charge accordingly and protect your ass.
    Last edited by Clown; 28th November 2009 at 09:16 AM.
    sigh.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    hi thanks cabbySHE, Ian and Clown for the good feedback. There were certain issues brought up that I did not think about prior. Thanks.

    Client has requested payment via Paypal. Any experiences? I know they'll have to pay the additional 3.4% + Fixed that paypal charges for receiving credit card payment.

  9. #9
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    request both deposit and balance payments by cheque.

    paypal's exchange rates are crap and there are loopholes in the system which enables the transaction to be reversed if your client has a 'valid' case.
    sigh.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Quote Originally Posted by quinton View Post
    hi thanks cabbySHE, Ian and Clown for the good feedback. There were certain issues brought up that I did not think about prior. Thanks.

    Client has requested payment via Paypal. Any experiences? I know they'll have to pay the additional 3.4% + Fixed that paypal charges for receiving credit card payment.
    Do not accept payment via Paypal, too high a frauld level has been happening in recent months. Tell them T/T (telegraphic payment, bank to bank, or via cheque and it must clear before you start the job.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Looks like a challenging assignment. Just make sure you're well provided and protected as mentioned by the posts above. Only hand over the images and album when u see the full amount of money in your hands. Best of luck!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Otherwise will be seeing another thread....

    How to recover money from overseas client who doesn't payup.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Do not accept payment via Paypal, too high a frauld level has been happening in recent months. Tell them T/T (telegraphic payment, bank to bank, or via cheque and it must clear before you start the job.
    Hmmm... I do accept payment via Paypal occasionally. Since my service agreement states that final deliverables will be submitted to the client 10 working days after transferring of funds, that should be safe? Local banks take about 7 days to receive the money.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Quote Originally Posted by quinton View Post
    meaning, it's an overseas client coming to Singapore on vacation. Local assignment, overseas client. That's why it's a little out of the norm.
    So, it is an oversea client coming to Singapore for 11 days stay and you are being chosen to records all the events along and produce album, slides show etc.

    Seems like not an easy task, there are just too many opportunities for client to find fault and nit pick.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Hmmm... I do accept payment via Paypal occasionally. Since my service agreement states that final deliverables will be submitted to the client 10 working days after transferring of funds, that should be safe? Local banks take about 7 days to receive the money.
    That should be safe enough Kit. I don't do Paypal as most of my clients are publishers, wire services and agencies etc.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Otherwise will be seeing another thread....

    How to recover money from overseas client who doesn't payup.
    It's a !@#! nightmare and not worth it in most cases unless it's over about 30K.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Bill them first for upfront deposit and balance upon image delivery.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It's a !@#! nightmare and not worth it in most cases unless it's over about 30K.
    Even recovering payment from local clients also problematic, usually only can recover partially.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Even recovering payment from local clients also problematic, usually only can recover partially.
    If you are having problems recovering from local clients then your contracts aren't up to scratch or you have a useless lawyer, or both.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Seeking advise on charges for travel photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    If you are having problems recovering from local clients then your contracts aren't up to scratch or you have a useless lawyer, or both.
    Yep, have to agreed that due to negligence and partially tobe self blamed, as so far only two incident happened, only that the amount are not so scary one. Lesson well learned, not taught in any school, colleges or institute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •