Thread: Tranquility In A Mess

Default Tranquility In A Mess

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

I request to critique on my composition and photographic techniques.
    • At ISO 400, on a 55mm focal length and f/4.0, shutter set at 0.5 seconds.
    • Equipment used: Canon EOS 450D with a 55-250mm IS lens. No flash is used.
    • To create an image of "tranquility" of a photographer at the moment he is pressing the trigger, while there's chaos amidst his surroundings.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

The oxymoron of "orderly chaos", whereby one does not expect to be able to capture a photographer in action amidst the messy outlines of other photographers.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?

It was taken some time in the afternoon, after exhausting my creative photoshooting during Anime Festival Asia 2009. I decided to shift my focus to profiling the photographers, to take on a different approach towards events photography.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?

Personally, I am attracted to the moving lines of the photographers: it depicts their "wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am" approach towards photography as an art. The static photographer in the centre gave me that "Zen" vibe in which he is content and ready to press that trigger, and capture that shot he wanted. I like this contrast of approach.

On a technical aspect, more things can be improved. For one, the use of a monopod/tripod would be better to compensate for the equipment I used and the long shutter. Composition is also another factor which I felt can be improved.

Default Re: Tranquility In A Mess

I don't get the tranquil element from this picture at all. It took me a while to see who's the "static" photographer that you're talking about. This could be because he is blocked by the movement of the photographer in the foreground (the one in the black t-shirt). The "orderly" that you intended to convey, I feel, is overwhelmed by all the "chaos" in the picture. There isn't a balance.

One thing that maybe could've made this picture better is if you were right in front of the photographers, and you had a clear shot of the still photographer in the middle. Another way is maybe to set your shutter for longer, so that the other photographers are a complete blur.

My two cents.

Default Re: Tranquility In A Mess

if i didn't read ur write up, i would have absolutely no idea what ur photo is abt, nor what u r trying to capture. ur static photographer is a little too small and cluttered up to be noticed.

would be nicer if it's a model in the middle and taking up more space. den the flowy movements of the photographers around the model would work better.
    ur idea has potential, but needs work.