View Poll Results: That "one" lens you must have for FX

Voters
639. You may not vote on this poll
  • AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR I OR II

    59 9.23%
  • AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

    50 7.82%
  • AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

    285 44.60%
  • AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED

    40 6.26%
  • AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

    2 0.31%
  • AF 85mm f/1.4D IF

    43 6.73%
  • DC Lens : AF DC 135mm f/2D, AF DC 105mm f/2D

    5 0.78%
  • AF Fisheye 16mm f/2.8D

    7 1.10%
  • AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED

    3 0.47%
  • PC-E Micro lens : NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D, 45mm f/2.8D, 24mm f/3.5D

    2 0.31%
  • AF 28mm f/1.4

    8 1.25%
  • AF 35mm f/2D

    16 2.50%
  • AF 50mm f/1.4D or AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G or AF 50mm f/1.8D

    80 12.52%
  • AF-S VR 200mm f/2G IF-ED

    7 1.10%
  • Others (Whichever i have mised out, You name it!!)

    32 5.01%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 262

Thread: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

  1. #101
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    Voigtlander 20mm f3.5.....on my cam 75% of the time
    But the poll reads " what's the one Nikon lens.... " leh...
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chestnut
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    ..well then there is no one lens I cannot do without... I am happy with my non-nikon....sorry for intruding then.
    Last edited by Danntbt; 1st January 2010 at 09:17 PM.

  3. #103
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    ..well then there is no one lens I cannot do without... I am happy with my non-nikon....sorry for intruding then.
    Haa.. no worries bro~!
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  4. #104

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    going into FX soon. will get the 24-70mm f/2.8 first then the 70-200mm f/2.8 haha =)
    Canon 5D Mark II | 580EX II | 16-35 F/2.8L II | 50mm F/1.2L | 70-200 F/2.8L IS II

  5. #105
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by weijing View Post
    going into FX soon. will get the 24-70mm f/2.8 first then the 70-200mm f/2.8 haha =)
    Good for u Welcome u to the FX Family
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  6. #106
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    I'm actually thinking of getting a couple more lenses. Since I don't do events or anything, mostly its walkabout travel photog or shots, I've gotten myself a AF 50mm f/1.8D.

    I need something wider and was wondering the new 24mm F1.4 or 14-24 F2.8 or 17-35 F2.8...Can't make up my mind for a wide angle one....

    Probably another one to cover distance would be a 135mm DC....

  7. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    In fact, I can't really make up my mind...Was thinking of going the Prime Lens route, with a 24, 50, 85/135 setup.....

  8. #108
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    i ain't got nikon fx dslrs but i would imagine the 24-70 to be pretty useful for me

    ryan

  9. #109
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    In fact, I can't really make up my mind...Was thinking of going the Prime Lens route, with a 24, 50, 85/135 setup.....
    Bro, since u mainly shoot travel n can settle without the convenience of zooming, go for primes.. Actually only urself know what kind focal length do u normally use n ur comfort at it..

    Take me for instance: I the lazy sort, I will go by the 24-70 for almost everything if I m not shooting lanscape, portraits or macro

    HTH
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  10. #110
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    i ain't got nikon fx dslrs but i would imagine the 24-70 to be pretty useful for me

    ryan
    Ryan, ever ponder taking the FX route oneday?
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  11. #111
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Bro, since u mainly shoot travel n can settle without the convenience of zooming, go for primes.. Actually only urself know what kind focal length do u normally use n ur comfort at it..

    Take me for instance: I the lazy sort, I will go by the 24-70 for almost everything if I m not shooting lanscape, portraits or macro

    HTH
    I don't know....I've never tried the 14-24 before and was wondering if 14 was abit of an overkill....Which is why I'm thinking twice before deciding on the 24mm F1.4.....As for the 85/135, really got no idea.....But either way, I see myself settling for something wide first....

  12. #112
    Member Lord Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    I don't know....I've never tried the 14-24 before and was wondering if 14 was abit of an overkill....Which is why I'm thinking twice before deciding on the 24mm F1.4.....As for the 85/135, really got no idea.....But either way, I see myself settling for something wide first....
    Ha ha.... I've gone down that 14-24 route.

    The 14mm is most useful in enclosed places, e.g. when visiting the living quarters used by famous people in the past. With so many tourists crammed into a small room and no more room behind, the 14mm really works wonders and is definitely not an overkill.

    On the other hand, I had a hard time climbing the Great Wall in China with a D700 + 14-24!

    So for travelling light, a prime lens is still the best option for me, which is why I am currently using the 20mm prime lens as my workhorse.

    The 24mm f/1.4 really sounds intriguing. Will seriously consider since it is smaller and lighter than the 14-24.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

  13. #113
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Ryan, ever ponder taking the FX route oneday?
    For nikon, I will be on their DX till some time later, no spare cash leh... meanwhile FF on the other camp enjoying their 1.2/1.4 primes

    ryan

  14. #114
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    In fact, I find myself pondering over the 17~35 or the 14-24.....

  15. #115
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    I don't know....I've never tried the 14-24 before and was wondering if 14 was abit of an overkill....Which is why I'm thinking twice before deciding on the 24mm F1.4.....As for the 85/135, really got no idea.....But either way, I see myself settling for something wide first....
    Go with ur heart will be my advice, though prior to making any harsh decisions, pls consider putting ur wants first against ur needs..

    And whether if the lens suits ur style of shooting; suggest u rent the lens u interested in for a day or two and try out whether it suits ur style of shooting before u commit?

    HTH bro
    Last edited by Numnumball; 16th February 2010 at 10:14 PM.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  16. #116
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    Ha ha.... I've gone down that 14-24 route.

    The 14mm is most useful in enclosed places, e.g. when visiting the living quarters used by famous people in the past. With so many tourists crammed into a small room and no more room behind, the 14mm really works wonders and is definitely not an overkill.

    On the other hand, I had a hard time climbing the Great Wall in China with a D700 + 14-24!

    So for travelling light, a prime lens is still the best option for me, which is why I am currently using the 20mm prime lens as my workhorse.

    The 24mm f/1.4 really sounds intriguing. Will seriously consider since it is smaller and lighter than the 14-24.
    But for those who are crazy on UWAs, the likes of 14-24/17-35/or the upcoming 16-35 is still indispensable..Imho...
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  17. #117
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    For nikon, I will be on their DX till some time later, no spare cash leh... meanwhile FF on the other camp enjoying their 1.2/1.4 primes

    ryan
    Our camp too mah seen alot fellow nikonians having plenty of fun and satisfaction with our 851.4/105dc2/135dc2 etc...
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  18. #118
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Go with ur heart will be my advice, though prior to making any harsh decisions, pls consider putting ur wants first against ur needs..

    And whether if the lens suits ur style of shooting; suggest u rent the lens u interested in for a day or two and try out whether it suits ur style of shooting before u commit?

    HTH bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    But for those who are crazy on UWAs, the likes of 14-24/17-35/or the upcoming 16-35 is still indispensable..Imho...
    I know I need a wide angle that's for sure as I find myself often needing to move back alot for shots due to limitations of the 50mm...But I'm torn between 14-24 and 17-35...Both are roughly of the same price...One is slightly wider but has lesser zoom range while the other one has more zoom range but is slightly narrower...One accepts filters whereas one doesn't....

    Its tempting of course to go all out on Primes alone, e.g. a 14mm, 50mm and a 85mm setup but I'll be going over to korea this coming June so I don't think its good to bring along 3 lenses as its a little too troublesome....

  19. #119
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    I know I need a wide angle that's for sure as I find myself often needing to move back alot for shots due to limitations of the 50mm...But I'm torn between 14-24 and 17-35...Both are roughly of the same price...One is slightly wider but has lesser zoom range while the other one has more zoom range but is slightly narrower...One accepts filters whereas one doesn't........
    Bro, u already know the answers ard don't u?

    Just to share, i was in a similar dilenmma like u before. But i did not not hesitate in thinking too long in picking 17-35 as my UWA.

    Reason being :

    1. I can compromise with the loss in 14-17mm wideness and a minor minor loss in IQ comparatively among the 2. (14-24 is known to be the sharpest UWA around)

    2. I need the more practival zoom range of 17-35mm, knowing that it can double up as a walk ard lens for me on FX rather than jus a UWA.

    3. Filters(CPL/ND/GND) is essential and critical for me landscape pursuits in creativity opportunities.

    4. Weight of 14-24 is overwhelming (IKG)

    5. 14-24 is not for the timid (like me) as it can;t take on protective filters as the front elements protrude at 14mm..

    Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    Its tempting of course to go all out on Primes alone, e.g. a 14mm, 50mm and a 85mm setup but I'll be going over to korea this coming June so I don't think its good to bring along 3 lenses as its a little too troublesome....
    U addressed that as well.. so let it go..

    HTH bro
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  20. #120
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: Which is the one nikon lens you can't do wtihout for FX

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    HTH bro
    Bro, just curious, simi is HTH....

    I only know HTSYS....... Hope to See You Soon (with a D700).....

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •