Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Taiwan Trip in Dec 09

Default Re: Taiwan Trip in Dec 09

Quote Originally Posted by hayleymyzee View Post
    Wah... So many people going taiwan... I'll be there this boxing day till the 3rd... Guess i'll lug my trusty 24-70 and 16-35 along...

Just some questions.. Anybody expierence new years countdown concert at 101 before? Since i'm covering only 16 to 70mm i guess i have to get real close to the stage to get anything rather than little ant sized celebs huh.. But i heard and see from tv the crowd is like crazy la... Go in don't know take how long to squeeze out.. And don't think i can set up my tripod in the packed madness..

Go in close to catch the stage action or stay more to the outside and catch the fireworks... Hmmmm... Experienced shooters ... I need suggestions..
    Many people will position their cameras near the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall, or rather the Zhongshan Park area to shoot fireworks. I think it's wide enough for your lens given the far distance to 101. A tripod is a must for such. You are not the only one out there taking such shots. So good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by tkbonz View Post
    After reviewing travel guides online and offline, most prob not going JiuFen anymore but going instead to Keelung. The beaches there, old forts and night market seems to be a bigger draw than Jiufen. Furthermore, both my younger brother and me had been to Jiufen before.

Any last min advice? I'm flying off two days later and will check CS tomorrow night before I go.

Anyway, thanks all for replying to my queries so far
    hope its not too late and you can still access this:

while you are at Keelung, please come by the Yehliou area where you can see the rock formation at the beach. good spot for landscape. go find the most famous one: the queenhead shaped rock. this area is accesible by bus departing from the station near central MRT.

Thanks for the interesting info, my last day of free and easy will be based in ximending. I just found out online that my hotel is at most 2 streets away from famous food stalls like the ah chung noodle, mi feng (honeybee) coffeeshop and some famous dessert stall
    The noodle is pretty okay, but better when you top it up with the chill and garlic available outside of the shop.

There are quite a few shops in 西门町 offering most of the local delicacies though. However, do travel to 剑潭 station where 士林夜市 is located at for the western food and the 豪大大鸡排!
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    u better book fast, these 2 months taiwan very popular..
    hello

Quote Originally Posted by Yoh View Post
    The noodle is pretty okay, but better when you top it up with the chill and garlic available outside of the shop.

There are quite a few shops in 西门町 offering most of the local delicacies though. However, do travel to 剑潭 station where 士林夜市 is located at for the western food and the 豪大大鸡排!
    Oh yes I second that. I stayed in Ximending for my trip in 2005, and I absolutely loved the atmosphere once the sun goes down! Funny thing was my friend tried to hunt down that famous meesua stall too and we finally found it on our last night there when it was so near to our hotel! Shilin was also fantastic, and that was where I sampled by first smelly tofu!
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei View Post
    Oh yes I second that. I stayed in Ximending for my trip in 2005, and I absolutely loved the atmosphere once the sun goes down! Funny thing was my friend tried to hunt down that famous meesua stall too and we finally found it on our last night there when it was so near to our hotel! Shilin was also fantastic, and that was where I sampled by first smelly tofu!
    I didn't try out the 臭豆腐 though. Can easily smell it from meters away from the stall!

Hotels such as East Dragon, Rainbow or Riverview are pretty near that district.

As for 面线:
    Last edited by Yoh; 27th December 2009 at 12:10 AM.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Wah that picture evokes memories!!

Anyway I stayed at Paradise hotel i think....a few more streets up from Rainbow, which was our preferred hotel but no more space liao.

As for the smelly tofu...wah to be honest I didn't appreciate it because it was soooo dry. But some of my friends told me I might have gotten the poorer quality ones? Not sure leh...so many locals eating it around me!
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Quote Originally Posted by kolibri View Post
    hope its not too late and you can still access this:

while you are at Keelung, please come by the Yehliou area where you can see the rock formation at the beach. good spot for landscape. go find the most famous one: the queenhead shaped rock. this area is accesible by bus departing from the station near central MRT.
    Wah...abit late la, I've already finished touring Keelung few days back, now at a Kaohsiung hotel's lobby using the internet. We climbed some hill to a fort to take pictures then climbed down to the fish market for a nice seafood lunch. Night time we went to Keelung's night market to walk around. All in all, we visited a night market everynight and I'm getting a little tired of them...haha!

Good advice...in time for the 30th when i'm there on free and easy! Thks bro! The 豪大大鸡排 i ate before 2 years back when i was there but was disappointed as there was a chunk of bone in it...

Anyway I stayed at Paradise hotel i think....a few more streets up from Rainbow, which was our preferred hotel but no more space liao.

As for the smelly tofu...wah to be honest I didn't appreciate it because it was soooo dry. But some of my friends told me I might have gotten the poorer quality ones? Not sure leh...so many locals eating it around me!
    Its smelly when its smelled far away but close up and on tasting, its actually quite savoury. I ate the famous one at feng jia night market at taichung and it was really fantastic! Crispy on the outside and full bodied on the inside!

Anyway i brought both the 18-200vr and 12-24 and ended using the 12-24 for most of the nightmarket trips. End up my food photos were taken at 24mm...LoL! Really hard to get good shots when you are restricted by time...
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

I didn't want to smell like smelly tofu hence didn't try it.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Good advice...in time for the 30th when i'm there on free and easy! Thks bro! The 豪大大鸡排 i ate before 2 years back when i was there but was disappointed as there was a chunk of bone in it...

The western food stall right at the front of 士林夜市.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

hahah i will be going outskirt of taipei . . taipei and hualien during my 8 days trip to taiwan . . end of jan~~ more stuff come recommend!
    Canon EOS 6D | Capturing a moment of reality

Back from Taiwan

Will share photos of the trip on the landscapes and travel gallery in time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    hahah i will be going outskirt of taipei . . taipei and hualien during my 8 days trip to taiwan . . end of jan~~ more stuff come recommend!
    Good to go Jiufen, Pingsi, Shihfen, and yehliu to take scenic shots. Definitely recommended. all accessible by public transport. Haven't tried roaming around Keelung, but the Miaokou Night Market is very lifely on dining!

Quote Originally Posted by calkel20 View Post
    Good to go Jiufen, Pingsi, Shihfen, and yehliu to take scenic shots. Definitely recommended. all accessible by public transport. Haven't tried roaming around Keelung, but the Miaokou Night Market is very lifely on dining!
    Of all u mention.. Pingsi and shihfen I'm not going.. Haha can't wait liao lol thanks for the recommendation...

Quote Originally Posted by calkel20 View Post
    I was at Jiufen last Sunday. Overcast with blanket of mist. Can't see far so my shots are very limited to the streets. In fact, the 5 days I was in Taipei, 4 of them had overcast skies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffed View Post
    I was at Jiufen last Sunday. Overcast with blanket of mist. Can't see far so my shots are very limited to the streets. In fact, the 5 days I was in Taipei, 4 of them had overcast skies.
    yeap this few days is foggy from weather forecast. . pray that time i go wont be foggy zzz. . anyway cold isit?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffed View Post
    Its pretty cold for the past week. Bought anything while at 九份?

yeap this few days is foggy from weather forecast. . pray that time i go wont be foggy zzz. . anyway cold isit?
    Temperature is getting better but still relatively cold if you're in the north. The warmest area would be the south part of Taiwan for the moment.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Its pretty cold for the past week. Bought anything while at 九份?

Temperature is getting better but still relatively cold if you're in the north. The warmest area would be the south part of Taiwan for the moment.
    oh ok . . haha just prepare myself . . end of january still cold ma ?

oh ok . . haha just prepare myself . . end of january still cold ma ?
    Watch out for the weather forecast.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Few days back while at Shilin, the temp at night was 13 degrees celsius.

At jiufen, cause its facing the sea, the cold winds will make things much colder.

My 8 days there were all foggy except for 2 days. It gets foggier as the day progresses and its foggiest in the evening at around 5pm. Oh, the sun sets pretty early in Taiwan at this time of the year!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast