Thread: Need help with buying a DSLR

Talking Need help with buying a DSLR

I posted my threads in the wrong forum I think...

Anyway here they are:

1) 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

I've already sort of decided to get the 2nd hand D60 to see how it goes (and if my interest will last), but nevertheless I will take your opinions into consideration

2) Things to take note of when buying a 2nd hand DSLR

Post your replies here!

Default Re: Need help with buying a DSLR

I'd add the Pentax Kx ($900+ new)
    No compromises in features at such a low price.
    (Yes, that means actual spot metering, on-body drive motor, Shake Reduction, etc)

This thread says more w/o me repeating.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598556

buy a brand new d3000. 2nd hand ones u may not have enough experience to check it proper. Since the price diff is nt significant, i don't see why u should put urself at risk.
    cameras are not made of tofu

Blog Entries

If you are sensitive about cost, why not consider a new Sony A230 kit? Street price is around $600 new (at reputable popular shops).

You may read that the high ISO performance is not good, but D3000/D60 high ISO performance is also not good. And Sony has built-in-body IS and it can use minolta lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you are sensitive about cost, why not consider a new Sony A230 kit? Street price is around $600 new (at reputable popular shops).

You may read that the high ISO performance is not good, but D3000/D60 high ISO performance is also not good. And Sony has built-in-body IS and it can use minolta lenses.
    Most of his friends are using Nikon so that's what he has his eyes on.
    Alpha

I read that the D3000 isn't that good, the colors are off, and that a D40 is much better. But a D40 is so 2006, is it advisable to get a D40 or pay more for a D5000? But a D5000 seems kinda expensive for me...

Quote Originally Posted by gameboyz View Post
    I read that the D3000 isn't that good, the colors are off, and that a D40 is much better. But a D40 is so 2006, is it advisable to get a D40 or pay more for a D5000? But a D5000 seems kinda expensive for me...
    Wrong, there's no such thing as 'colors are off' on nowadays' dslrs. If you want a Nikon, i'd suggest a 2nd hand d80. Those lower level bodies (d40/60/3000/5000) miss too many features (af motor drive, wireless flash commander) and you will end up not being to share many stuff with your friends.

I want a lower end one to try out, because I don't have much money (or experience to inspect 2nd hand cameras) and I'm not sure if the interest will last.

And regarding the "colors are off" part, I read it from here: http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...0977/Color.htm Do check it out!

u need to consider future, before committing buying certain brands....

nikon and canon is very comprehensive systems..u cannot go wrong with either one...

now u buy an entry level, what about the next body?

are you going to buy a cheap sony entry kit at 600 plus, to realise that u want a nikon or canon later?
    u may bought some other lenses to go with your sony cam...then u have to sell all and lose quite a bit to jump onto another brand...

nikon has always been making cameras...
    canon has been imaging devices...

during 35mm film, i use nikon...
    current digital edge, i use canon for the CMOS sensor.

and if i need to buy a TV, i will not go for other brand except a Sony
    Last edited by aloskimo; 27th November 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Buying a DSLR is not as easy an option. Look at the lenses that you think you might wanna have in the future then decide.I would stick to a Nikon D40 or a D60 - stay away from the D3000 I will not say why here as it may upset too many Nikon D3000 owners. An alternative is the Panasonic GF-1 or the upcoming Olympus Pen EP-2 (don't know the cost yet). You can use either of these bodies with manual focus lenses (Zuiko OM etc). This will help you to think in terms of focal length, f-stop, and point of focus). Hope this helps.

Just remember - you'll be selling away the body in 2 years time but you will want to keep the lenses (if they are the better lenses). So think in terms of system rather then camera bodies.

Be happy!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aloskimo View Post
    are you going to buy a cheap sony entry kit at 600 plus, to realise that u want a nikon or canon later?
    What if the TS go for a Nikon or Canon entry level and realized he really want a Pentax or Sony? It is very possible you know. Both are rich in camera history (sony's dslr division is actually called Konica-Minolta before it was acquired by Sony corp).

Anyway, for entry and mid level cameras, you really get more bang for the buck with Pentax and Sony. hate to say it, but it is true. Even performance is better.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 27th November 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Haha. Konica minolta is part of Sony. The alpha dslrs use KM's technology... and Sony has been making sensors... And some Alpha DSLRs use the same sensors as some of the Nikons..

u need to consider future, before committing buying certain brands....

nikon and canon is very comprehensive systems..u cannot go wrong with either one...

now u buy an entry level, what about the next body?

u may bought some other lenses to go with your sony cam...then u have to sell all and lose quite a bit to jump onto another brand...

during 35mm film, i use nikon...
    current digital edge, i use canon for the CMOS sensor.

and if i need to buy a TV, i will not go for other brand except a Sony
    I LOLed at this post.

Sony bought over Konica Minolta to develop Sony Alphas. The Sony Alpha DSLRs are actually a continuation of the Konica Minolta SLRs and DSLRs, rebranded into Sony.

And do u know Nikon is using Sony Sensors in their DSLR? The sensors found in most Nikon DSLRs, including the D3000, D5000, D90 etc etc, are all using Sony Sensors.
    Last edited by android17; 28th November 2009 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    I LOLed at this post.

Sony bought over Konica Minolta to develop Sony Alphas. The Sony Alpha DSLRs are actually a continuation of the Konica Minolta SLRs and DSLRs, rebranded into Sony.

And do u know Nikon is using Sony Sensors in their DSLR? The sensors found in most Nikon DSLRs, including the D3000, D5000, D90 etc etc, are all using Sony Sensors.
    they probably missed out the A5x0 and above. ^_^

all brand has their own pro and cons, no one can be generally "better".
    My Pixels | a7 | 1635FE Zeiss | MD 50mm f1.4 | MC 35mm f2.8 | MC 50mm f3.5 1:1 Macro |

Quote Originally Posted by sagiluck View Post
    they probably missed out the A5x0 and above. ^_^

all brand has their own pro and cons, no one can be generally "better".
    What Sagiluck says is true. There is no uber camera.

TS, you know yourself best. You kept mentioning about being unsure whether this hobby will last and that's why you are contemplating on going low on budget. I think you need to think it over before committing to a camera purchase, be it low-end, mid-end, or high-end cameras.

If you have a PNS camera, why don't you join an outing organized by some of the members. Get to know whether you like any of the different types of photography that is available. Street photography, portraits, landscape, wildlife.

For all you know, you might not enjoy walking around with a camera strapped around your neck or mosquitoes biting you, etc etc....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    Haha. Konica minolta is part of Sony. The alpha dslrs use KM's technology... and Sony has been making sensors... And some Alpha DSLRs use the same sensors as some of the Nikons..
    Ya. Most people are not aware that the sensors in Nikon are made from a Sony/Nikon collaboration. Alphas uses the same sensors too. There are bound to be some differences though, as each company probably uses their proprietary image processors or algorithms for color rendition or NR.

i've owned a D40 before, and that was a v good camera. you won't be disappointed with a D60. if you are willing to look beyond nikon, all the other manufacturers make excellent entry level dslrs as well.