Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

  1. #1

    Default D60, D3000 or D5000?

    Which should I get... I'm a 15 y.o student wanting to try out photography... I dunno if my interest in it will last so I'm looking for more affordable entry-level cameras...

    Should I buy a D40 (cheap, but EOL), D3000 (new, okay price but I read it has bad colour reproduction) or D5000 (new, really good but kinda steep price)

    If my interest DOES last, and when I want to buy lenses in the future, will majority of the lenses have in-built motors? MF is a pain if you need to shoot a pic really quickly... But if my interest does not last then getting a D3000/D5000 will be wasteful.

    Advice is appreciated
    Last edited by gameboyz; 27th November 2009 at 08:41 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    For the price of an old D60, you could get a brand new A230 or a Pentax, and have many more features and warranty.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    Sony a300 is better than Nikon d60 and d3000, and cost only $450 2nd hand ..

  4. #4

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    Sorry, but because most of my friends using Nikon I'll be choosing a Nikon... hope you guys understand

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    I own a D60 and now I regret getting it not because of its lack of Auto-Focus motor but the 3 stupid auto focus point only...sigh..can't get a Portrait shot with rules of third on moving cats lol...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Commonwealth
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    Quote Originally Posted by gameboyz View Post
    Which should I get... I'm a 15 y.o student wanting to try out photography... I dunno if my interest in it will last so I'm looking for more affordable entry-level cameras...

    Should I buy a 2nd hand D60 ($600+) or a D3000 ($900+)? Advantages of getting D60 are, affordable, light, compact... Disadvantage is that it is lacking the in-built AF motor...

    If my interest DOES last, and when I want to buy lenses in the future, will majority of the lenses have in-built motors? MF is a pain if you need to shoot a pic really quickly... But if my interest does not last then getting a D3000 will be wasteful.

    Advice is appreciated
    I think D3000 also does not have built in motor... you mention you have many friends using Nikon, ask them to accompany you buy D60 because it is more "affortable" for you (granted you do not mind the risk of repair the unit if something wrong). if not, just take D3000 for peace mind.... but that is for me, because I am more budget concious now... lolz... BBB

  7. #7

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    For me it is veri simple ... since you are not sure if your interest will last....

    Then i will get a cam that you know you wont lose too much when you sell if you gave up on photography. The cost of this hobby to you is buying price minus selling price.

    So I would recommend getting a 2nd hand cam with basic features enough for you to play with and polish your skill.... if you want to quit.. sell at minimum lost... if you like the hobby.. get a better cam within ur limits.

  8. #8

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol81 View Post
    For me it is veri simple ... since you are not sure if your interest will last....

    Then i will get a cam that you know you wont lose too much when you sell if you gave up on photography. The cost of this hobby to you is buying price minus selling price.

    So I would recommend getting a 2nd hand cam with basic features enough for you to play with and polish your skill.... if you want to quit.. sell at minimum lost... if you like the hobby.. get a better cam within ur limits.
    A d40x is 350 in BnS. Maybe you can even consider that.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    Brand new D3000 goes for around $850 if you get from the reputable shops.

    I recommend to buy brand new for a peace of mind. Better to worry about how to take nice photographs than about whether the camera is going to spoil.
    Last edited by Timolol; 27th November 2009 at 12:30 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    Brand new D3000 goes for around $850 if you get from the reputable shops.

    I recommend to buy brand new for a peace of mind. Better to worry about how to take nice photographs than about whether the camera is going to spoil.
    if you know how to check well, most camera can last longer than the owner
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  11. #11

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    if you are tight on the budget... instead of getting a 2nd hand D60, get a brand new D40(it's lighter, pic quality wouldn't be of much difference especially if you would just print 3R, 4R, or A4 size pics at the most) learn how to shoot first before you worry so much about the equipment you would use(as you've said, you're new into this, so i suppose you also don't know the demands you're looking for in a DSLR, more so, the style of shooting you'll use it for)! FYI, D3k doesn't have an AF motor as well. if you are not quite sure if you'll stick into this hobby, don't spend so much first. once you've decided to get hooked, then that's the time to save up, and upgrade! i hope this helps...
    Why so serious... Son?

  12. #12

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    Quote Originally Posted by CatByTe View Post
    I own a D60 and now I regret getting it not because of its lack of Auto-Focus motor but the 3 stupid auto focus point only...sigh..can't get a Portrait shot with rules of third on moving cats lol...
    Hmm i got a 50D and i only use the center focus point. Juz my opinion bro, u can find your shooting style soon.

  13. #13

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    I read that the D3000 isn't that good, the colors are off, and that a D40 is much better. But a D40 is so 2006, is it advisable to get a D40 or pay more for a D5000? But a D5000 seems kinda expensive for me...

  14. #14

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    the D3000 also lacks the built in AF motor, doesnt it? and maybe the D5000 is over ur budget, especially if ur not sure ur gonna be into photography for long
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

  15. #15

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    Yup, D3000 lacks in-built AF motor IIRC, but has 11 focus points (compared to the 3 in D40/D60). D5000 is really good, albeit the price is a little high. D40/D60 is EOL, but are shops still selling them?

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    Quote Originally Posted by gameboyz View Post
    I read that the D3000 isn't that good, the colors are off, and that a D40 is much better. But a D40 is so 2006, is it advisable to get a D40 or pay more for a D5000? But a D5000 seems kinda expensive for me...
    D3000 isn't that good? D3000 is similar to D60 D40x, which are all using the sensor and image processors of the D80 and D200.

    Usually the limiting factor is not the equipment. It is the skill level of the photographer. Only when you are at a certain skill level will you have a real need or appreciation for some of the more advanced features. In the meantime, the camera that is the most available to you for you to start shooting, will be the right camera for you. Seriously, once you get into DSLR level, even the beginner ones are already very good and capable.

    Following are pics taken with a D40x, which has pretty much the same internals as the D3000, without the sensor cleaning or the 11pt AF. All taken with the 18-55 ED2 non-VR kit lens (except for the 2nd one, taken with Tamron 17-50/2.8)









    Last edited by daredevil123; 27th November 2009 at 11:40 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    I bought a used D60 this summer back home in Canada and have been using it obsessively since arriving in Singapore. I love it, and while the 3 point autofocus is a bit of a pain, as is the need to fish through menus to access certain options, these drawbacks aren't significant enough to make me regret the purchase.

    That being said, I didn't realise how MUCH I was going to enjoy photgraphy, and I kinda wish I'd picked up a used D90 instead--le sigh...

  18. #18

    Default Re: D60, D3000 or D5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by gameboyz View Post
    Which should I get... I'm a 15 y.o student wanting to try out photography... I dunno if my interest in it will last so I'm looking for more affordable entry-level cameras...

    Should I buy a D40 (cheap, but EOL), D3000 (new, okay price but I read it has bad colour reproduction) or D5000 (new, really good but kinda steep price)

    If my interest DOES last, and when I want to buy lenses in the future, will majority of the lenses have in-built motors? MF is a pain if you need to shoot a pic really quickly... But if my interest does not last then getting a D3000/D5000 will be wasteful.

    Advice is appreciated
    Rent one and try, and then decide..

  19. #19

    Default Re: 2nd hand D60 or D3000?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

    Following are pics taken with a D40x, which has pretty much the same internals as the D3000, without the sensor cleaning or the 11pt AF. All taken with the 18-55 ED2 non-VR kit lens (except for the 2nd one, taken with Tamron 17-50/2.8)









    excellent pics, proof that the camera doesn't really matter.

  20. #20

    Default Re: D60, D3000 or D5000?

    i think TS can lookout for a 2nd hand D70/D70s instead, comes with AF motor in the body.
    Nikon D300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •