Thread: Death of DSLR - an article

Default Death of DSLR - an article

Canon and Nikon dwarf Olympus and Panasonic, so they have some time to react, but they clearly need to. The problem is that a new mirrorless system requires a new line of lenses to provide the true benefits of the downscaled format, but both companies already have two existing lines of lenses--one for their pro-level, full-frame sensored cameras and one for the consumer DSLRs cameras with APS-sized sensors. Having a third line of lenses may be too much, so there's a fair chance we'll see the Big Two go in a different direction.

Instead of focusing on another interchangeable lens format, the companies may release truly compact cameras with built-in zoom lenses much like those in their existing PowerShot and Coolpix lines, but with large consumer-level DSLR sensors. This makes sense, because ultimately, this is what consumers want--as they showed in the film days. Most digital camera sales still tend towards compact units; as nice as the Micro Four Thirds cameras are, they don't slip into your pocket. You need to make a conscious decision to carry them around.

Two small camera manufacturers--Sigma, primarily known for its after-market lenses, and Leica, known for its very pricey premium cameras--were first out of the gate with all-in-one big-sensor cameras, the Sigma DP1 and DP2 and Leica X1. All unfortunately use fixed-focal-length (non-zoom) lenses, which limit their appeal (as will the Leica's $2,000 price tag). Until these cameras can incorporate zooms, they'll be limited to a very small enthusiast market.

But once they do (and my guess is that this will happen in mid-2010), watch out. Consumer-level DSLRs won't go away; they didn't in the film days, and they won't now. But they'll become marginalized as more and more people turn toward more convenient alternatives. History has a way of repeating itself.

Default Re: Death of DSLR - an article

While this might pan out the only problem I see is that digital cameras have a fixed sensor. As such it's only a matter of time before the whole camera is kept in the dry box :-) and not in use. Film cameras had/has the advantage of better film stock coming out every few years. So an interchangeable lens camera has its advantage in that you'll keep the lens and change the body. Then again I've been known to be wrong and hopefully we'll see more Panasonic DMC-LX3/Canon S90/G11 type cameras with larger sensors - if not 4/3 then APS-size. I would be very happy to see that happen....Imagine a fast F2 24-80mm lens with a 10m pixel APS-c sensor! Yummy.