Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 103

Thread: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    With this E quote, they wont be able to see u in person, and thus they might give u a better price than what they gave u in person. Then after getting the E quote, u can go down to the shop and say "hey, u give me this price via E Quote" and they will gladly honour the price they gave you.

    Alternatively, u can visit some other shops to check out the pricing before you make your purchase.
    Do they take like weeks or something to get back to the customers about the quoting of the price?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Nah. Same sensor, so similar standard. Nikon tweaked the sensor for a finer high ISO grain, but Sony went for better color separation.
    Oh okay. To me I would think that colour separation would be more "handy/obvious" than a finer high ISO grain.. hm. But its not very obvious right?

  2. #42

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    TS, just buy the brand that you desire more. and it sounds like a nikon from all your earlier postings. never mind that both nikon and sony uses the same sensor, nikon apparently gives you a better feeling, so i say go with your gut feel.


  3. #43

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    I donno if i should say this or not LOL.

    Whats your budget? If you can push your budget abit higher to around $1190, you can buy a Sony A500 + kit lens.

    The A500 and A550 is the newest DSLR coming out from Sony (released last month in SG). They're using the newer Sony EXMOR sensor (which Nikon D90 and D300 also used) which produces even better IQ and ISO noise control compared to the older generation Sony sensor.

    I myself bought A500 from MS color ($1090 for body only, as I already have lenses), and its really a very nice camera. No complains about it at all.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by JW73 View Post
    I m canon user..go for Nikon.
    Easier to upgrade later with more lens n accessories widely available in the new and used market. When considering a dlsr, it's more into expanding later.
    Sony is good too but I would weigh and consider the a/m.

    James
    hehe............you asking him to go for Nikon D3000 so that he has a more limited choice of lens? Seems very contradict to what you say AF-S DX lens range is much lesser than even Sony. Canon all have In build AF motor, but NOT all Nikon do, at least D5k and D3k don't.

    If TS really wanna get Nikon, get nothing less than a D90. Anyway range of Sony lens is enough, not so bad lar.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    TS, just buy the brand that you desire more. and it sounds like a nikon from all your earlier postings. never mind that both nikon and sony uses the same sensor, nikon apparently gives you a better feeling, so i say go with your gut feel.

    HAHA Then that will be a problem for me. Yeah I'll admit I want Nikon more but that's because I've never really looked out for Sony. After hearing so many different comments from everyone here and the person in the store, I'm getting mixed feelings x) I'm a very fussy person especially when it comes to expensive things you see

  6. #46

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by gwend-n View Post
    Do they take like weeks or something to get back to the customers about the quoting of the price?



    Oh okay. To me I would think that colour separation would be more "handy/obvious" than a finer high ISO grain.. hm. But its not very obvious right?
    They take a day or 2 to reply e quotes. Usually a day.

    High ISO is not something that u will use all the time. Most times U will wanna use as low ISO as possibly can. If you are taking outdoors, or indoors with sufficient light, or using flash, or using a fast aperture lens, u wont be needing a high ISO.

    Better colour on the other hand, is evident is every single picture you take, irregardless of environment and circumstances.

    However that being said, both colour separation and ISO grain can be corrected using software. And also the difference is way too minor, it shouldnt affect your decision at all. I wont really take the above into consideration when choosing a camera. They are after all the same sensor, the difference is too minor.

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Whats your budget? If you can push your budget abit higher to around $1190, you can buy a Sony A500 + kit lens.
    Technically speaking I don't have a budget. But because I'm not the one paying and I can tell my parents are more or less a tad bit reluctant because this is by far the most expensive thing I've requested, I decided to get something good yet cheap. Haha.

    Oh I saw a video for A500 though. Sounds like an awesome camera but didn't know it was so expensive!


    Quote Originally Posted by hoppie View Post
    If TS really wanna get Nikon, get nothing less than a D90. Anyway range of Sony lens is enough, not so bad lar.
    What does TS stand for? Haha. Isn't D90 an older and more expensive model?

  8. #48

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by hoppie View Post
    hehe............you asking him to go for Nikon D3000 so that he has a more limited choice of lens? Seems very contradict to what you say AF-S DX lens range is much lesser than even Sony. Canon all have In build AF motor, but NOT all Nikon do, at least D5k and D3k don't.

    If TS really wanna get Nikon, get nothing less than a D90. Anyway range of Sony lens is enough, not so bad lar.
    this is exactly my same sentiments.

    Nikon is afterall the top 2 DSLR brands. There's no faulting the quality of their DSLRs. HOWEVER if I were to buy a Nikon, I will definately buy a D90 or above, and not their "motorless" DSLRs like the D60, D3000 and D5000.

    If you really wanna buy Nikon, look towards the D90.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by gwend-n View Post
    Technically speaking I don't have a budget. But because I'm not the one paying and I can tell my parents are more or less a tad bit reluctant because this is by far the most expensive thing I've requested, I decided to get something good yet cheap. Haha.

    Oh I saw a video for A500 though. Sounds like an awesome camera but didn't know it was so expensive!




    What does TS stand for? Haha. Isn't D90 an older and more expensive model?
    If you can, get the A500

    TS stands for Thread Starter, in this case that means you.

    D90 is older model, but doesnt mean its lousier. Its much better than the D3000 thats for sure. And as mentioned, its using the Sony EXMOR sensor.

    A500 is using EXMOR sensor as well, and its much cheaper than D90.
    Last edited by android17; 26th November 2009 at 12:35 AM.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by gwend-n View Post
    Technically speaking I don't have a budget. But because I'm not the one paying and I can tell my parents are more or less a tad bit reluctant because this is by far the most expensive thing I've requested, I decided to get something good yet cheap. Haha.

    Oh I saw a video for A500 though. Sounds like an awesome camera but didn't know it was so expensive!




    What does TS stand for? Haha. Isn't D90 an older and more expensive model?
    TS = Threadstarter

    D90 is not that old lar and yes it's more expensive, my friend just got it with 18-105mm kit lens for 1600+

    Forgot to add, sorry to offend D3k user, i can't imagine a SLR without Bracket metering How do you guys do Manual mode without that? isn't it very hard to see whether you are under or over expose with the puny LCD screen with Test shots?

  11. #51

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by hoppie View Post
    TS = Threadstarter

    D90 is not that old lar and yes it's more expensive, my friend just got it with 18-105mm kit lens for 1600+

    Forgot to add, sorry to offend D3k user, i can't imagine a SLR without Bracket metering How do you guys do Manual mode without that? isn't it very hard to see whether you are under or over expose with the puny LCD screen with Test shots?
    Bracketing not that bad la. I can live without bracketing.

    But the Canon 1000D is worse (Sorry if i offended any Canon user). If im not wrong, the Canon 1000D does not have Spot Metering. I cant imagine myself using a DSLR that doesnt have spot metering. Its my fav metering mode!

  12. #52

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Honestly speaking, i would recommend the following cam as a newbie:

    - Canon 500D (about 1200+, get a old Canon and bring it to Canon service centre can get 21% off)
    - Nikon D90 (About 1600+, this will be leaning towards Canon 50D range, almost that but not yet)
    - Sony A550 (About 1200+, don't think you can find anything this price range with 7FPS and good ISO performance)

    If not enough budget, <1k go for Sony A230/A330 or maybe Canon 1000D, can consider Pentax also but i dunno about Pentax, only hearsay it's good but lens range still limited.

    P.S. i am using a Sony A330 just for 2 months, i got it becuz it fits my budget. Wanted a 500D, A550 but not enough budget but i am happy becuz at the price the A330 shame the D3k and D5k.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Bracketing not that bad la. I can live without bracketing.

    But the Canon 1000D is worse (Sorry if i offended any Canon user). If im not wrong, the Canon 1000D does not have Spot Metering. I cant imagine myself using a DSLR that doesnt have spot metering. Its my fav metering mode!


    I din't know that :P My friend only ask me dun buy 1000D but never tell me why, now i know why hahaha.

    My cheapo A330 got all of those features hahahahaaha

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Nikon is afterall the top 2 DSLR brands. There's no faulting the quality of their DSLRs. HOWEVER if I were to buy a Nikon, I will definately buy a D90 or above, and not their "motorless" DSLRs like the D60, D3000 and D5000.
    Sorry to ask, but what do you mean by motorless? As in AF motor or... (agh feel like such a noob to ask this kind of question!)

  15. #55

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by gwend-n View Post
    Sorry to ask, but what do you mean by motorless? As in AF motor or... (agh feel like such a noob to ask this kind of question!)
    yup by motorless I was refering to the AF motor.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by gwend-n View Post
    Sorry to ask, but what do you mean by motorless? As in AF motor or... (agh feel like such a noob to ask this kind of question!)
    meaning there is no motor in the body itself to control Focusing on the lens. This post a problem when using especially third party lens like Sigma, Tamron or Tokina, most or all of these do not have AF motor in the lens. Not sure if they are using Screwdrive, for Sony, it's screw drive, there is a flathead screw head kind of thingy at the body that Turns the flat head screw thread on the lens to do focusing.

  17. #57

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    gwend-n, do you intend to make videos with your dslr?

  18. #58

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by gwend-n View Post
    Sorry to ask, but what do you mean by motorless? As in AF motor or... (agh feel like such a noob to ask this kind of question!)
    So far Canon is the only one uses lens to AF. The main advantage, it can AF faster or maybe silently. Nikon or Sony sees the advantage. Sony is developing SSM for their lens too.

    Good luck in your choice. Since it's ur parent paying, do more research.. take care.

  19. #59

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Quote Originally Posted by gwend-n View Post
    He's trying to sell me A300 I think. Or wait, was it A330? Oops I think it was A330! Haha. A300 he's selling at $699. Which MS Colour did you go to? I went to the AMK one. My mom kept bargaining and he said $880.
    Btw just to confirm, is ms color really selling a300 at $699? Or is it a230?
    I can't believe a brand new a300 cost $699. But if really so good price, faster go grab already lol.

    But I think likely u listen wrongly though, probably he trying to sell a230...

  20. #60

    Default Re: Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

    Below are the prices for D3000 and A500 from SLR Revo.

    D3000 kit - $813 (early Nov)

    A500 kit - $1067 (last week)

    Kit = Body + kit lens + 1 memory card.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •