Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Pentax be at Sitex?

Default Re: Will Pentax be at Sitex?

Given the size of Canon and Nikon, these companies are principally volume sellers who have to spend a lot on traditional above the line advertising to build up and maintain mindshare. Now with Pentax, there will never be the marketing budget to match its competitors. Nevertheless there is still significant scope to promote the brand using non-traditional channels and below the line methods.

Quote Originally Posted by le petit prince View Post
    I think publicity and advertising for Pentax now is like Apple.. when it wasn't big in terms of iPods and iPhones yet -- it's largely dependent on old-timers who used its film SLR/lenses of yore and newer, younger generation of 'cult' fans.

I have convinced 3 other friends to go Pentax; definitely nothing to do with Pentax's official advertising efforts! And I believe many other new users also swayed by current Pentaxians' personal efforts.

Having said that, it'll still be a pity if Pentax don't ramp up its PR and ad visibility more while it still has the only coloured DSLR bodies around, to gain that bit of market share/sales.. if going colour is successful, you can be sure other brands will soon jump on the bandwagon.
    I agree. If the small Pentax ball can get the momentum and start rolling(ie. enough 'presence') , it can generate a new pool of users who will spread the word and the photos. Soon enough, its a big snowball rolling on the momentum of its user base.

Failing that, when others jump on the colored DSLR bandwagon, I won't be surprised that ppl out there begin to think that C or N came up with the idea 1st.

How much does a 1 to 2 booth space with display cases and 2 LCD TVs (show casing Pentax ads, pictures, video) cost?
    Viewers may not buy the camera there and then, but it creates a presence and awareness. They may get the camera a week or two later after proper research.

I have taken to promoting Pentax on the newbie threads and to those I know (2 successful converts on the 2nd front)
    On the newbie threads, there is just so much or rather lack of information on Pentax that most newbies think C and N (or S) invented sliced bread!
    Last edited by pinholecam; 26th November 2009 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    there is the issue of whether it is going to pay off to try to seize a slice of pie

sure, aggressive marketing, in a world where pentax has unlimited money.. that is going to work in the long run. but the question is whether pentax can even dream of matching canon/nikon aggressive marketing, and sustain it to reap the profits later on. i don't think it's possible, and therefore, it is not worth the time or money to do so, as it will only burn both.
    I think most of us here agree it's not finanically viable for Pentax to spend megabucks on advertising that way.

Mmm. So the issue here should more about ramping up Pentax's brand awareness and "mindshare", rather than being aggressive a la the big guns or matching C&N's marketing budget and advertising.

There are various ways to do that, and I agree that it doesn't necessary have to be in the form of having booths at Sitex and other IT shows, though that may help.

* Tap on the (very passionate!) community. (Our outing threads have swayed quite a few, I bet!)
    * Distinguish through unique points. (Coloured K-x is a case in point.. look at the buzz it's generated. Or take the WR kit lenses.. which other brand has this?)
    * Keep focussed on core strengths (primes, reputation for being designed by photographers for photographers, value for money etc.)
    and so on..

.. and then, market these strengths!

quit your jobs, work for Pentax marketing
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

this is strange.. even nikon isnt there this time

to be fair to us Pentaxians, i dont think Emjay is doing enough.

I am not talking about having big booth in Sitex or advert on buses. Simple efforts like bringing in news from the principal, brochures of lens series, highlight Pentax pro that transit in Sg etc can be done with little $. In fact, we have to rely on die-hard Pentaxians to do that. To me, that is not good enough.

With Emjay, we dont even see Kelvin dropping by our outings. I don't know what's the reason but i find our distance with the distributor is further than before. Maybe the brand is profitable but dont think it is money spinnnig to warrant any attention from the distributor. As usual with status quo all this while, there is FW, ebay to satisfy all our LBA and CBA...
    shoot to remember. flickr

Putting on my hat as a marketer in my previous life, I would say the marketing of Pentax cameras is very confused.

To put it simply, one could either go for the mass market, or aim for a niche market.

Canon and Nikon obviously use the mass market to drive their sales, and with that their A&P (advertising and promotion) budget is usually very high. Of course, they do have higher-end cameras, but that is basically to build their brand, not to generate revenue and growth. The mass market cameras are usually priced competitively low.

Hasselblad, Leica, etc are in the niche market. They have lower A&P budgets, but depend on loyal customers and word of mouth to generate sales. Their promotion is via private functions and face-to-face customer meetings, not advertisement on buses or MRTs. These cameras are priced relatively higher, to maintain the image of exclusivity and high quality.

What about Pentax? A few ads here and there, no direct customer interface, priced for the mass market but marketed like a niche product. As Pentax users, we should be worried. If the price is low but the volume is also low, then profit will be affected. The next step would be to close down or sell the camera division, or worst, a complete collapse of the company. Then what will happen to our cameras and lenses? Who will continue to produce cameras that uses Pentax lenses? How will we get our camera parts for servicing and repairs?

Frankly, it is for this reason in which I am not too "serious" about my Pentax collection. I have been burnt once by Minolta. Could Canon or Nikon go out of business? Sure! But the huge number of cameras and lenses out there in the market will ensure that I could continue to use my Canon/Nikon equipment for the next 20 years until I find some other brand to move to.

Can I honestly say that for Pentax?

Quote Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
    Can I honestly say that for Pentax?
    i don't know, i don't think so much about these.

que sera sera, all this is out of your control. i know i'm happy with my k20d and whatever i have.. even if the company goes bust now, which it won't.. i have gotten more than enough value out of the camera and my lenses, to be honest.

just spend more time shooting. we are just hobbyists, also not some professional investing large amounts of money that will be for naught. as for what no camera parts, etc.. i only know that the pentax mz-30 was released in 2000, and up till now, you still can find working models.

Anyone have any idea what is happening to the local Pentax brochure that Emjay/Francis is putting together?

Quote Originally Posted by cityzensg View Post
    Yes... alot of hearts AND plenty of fingerprint marks!

Imagine 600,000 pairs of hands on a few white K-x display sets... might turn it brown color. Liddat no need to order brown sets from Japan already.
    Use disposable plastic glooves lah!

Quote Originally Posted by zoom3 View Post
    Anyone have any idea what is happening to the local Pentax brochure that Emjay/Francis is putting together?
    I got two versions of the Japanese K-X brochures. Now on loan to Creampuff when brought them for last week Nov outing.

What my company did for product brochures, instead of making new, my company used the Japanese version but put English text.
    Last edited by Ben Loke; 28th November 2009 at 12:02 PM.

Not the product brochure but the one which is to showcase local Pentaxians and their photos

Not the product brochure but the one which is to showcase local Pentaxians and their photos
    Oh yes, that reminds me. Sent in a few photos for consideration, which were accepted for final consideration :P

Been some time since.. hope it's taking shape!

Already done my part... I'm waiting too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12