Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dun buy oakely plastic frame sunglasses

Default Dun buy oakely plastic frame sunglasses

I have three pair of oakely sunglasses.
    All plastic frame.

I just realised they are all not durable considering the high prices we paid for them.

I had one pair the frame crack and the lens pop out. oakely charged me $80 to change the frame as it is out of warranty.

one of my 2nd pair recently showed hairline crack.

I am not super careful when it comes to eye wear. But i feel that the crack came from the detrioration of the plastic over the 2 year i wore it.

imagine you spend $180 for a pair that last 1.5 yr. you are spending $10 a month for eye proctection. I will buy a pair of those ah pek looking ray ban next time. hopefully can last longer.

anyone has the same experience?

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    I have three pair of oakely sunglasses.
    All plastic frame.

I just realised they are all not durable considering the high prices we paid for them.

I had one pair the frame crack and the lens pop out. oakely charged me $80 to change the frame as it is out of warranty.

one of my 2nd pair recently showed hairline crack.

I am not super careful when it comes to eye wear. But i feel that the crack came from the detrioration of the plastic over the 2 year i wore it.

imagine you spend $180 for a pair that last 1.5 yr. you are spending $10 a month for eye proctection. I will buy a pair of those ah pek looking ray ban next time. hopefully can last longer.

anyone has the same experience?
    Had mine for almost 4 years already. With the exception of normal wear and tear, never had any problems with them at all. Think they are a good brand.

I had a pair since 1996 and it was fine all the way till I sold it last year. It went through quite a bit of abuse from me as well. I thought Oakley was supposed to lifetime guarantee?

I owned 3 oakley too. Owned for 2+ years with reasonable care. So far no problem. It should last for quite awhile, I hope, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tmc17479
    I had a pair since 1996 and it was fine all the way till I sold it last year. It went through quite a bit of abuse from me as well. I thought Oakley was supposed to lifetime guarantee?
    they do not have such a warranty on the frames that is....
    no problems with any plastic oakley of mine. they seem bullet proof and even the metal ones are super stiff and rigid. got stepped on but did not break, just bend a bit...

oakleys are super glasses and their lenses are surpassed by none... rayban looks nice but not as durable and the lenses are not so good...
    i you are used to the oakley irridium lenses, then nothing else will ever fit the bill... period...

sunglass fanatic.

My oakley has been serving me for the past 5 years and is still serving me well. Durable and easy maintenance. Have walked with me from beaches to jungles and even tough terrains.

Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by silver.wolf
    My oakley has been serving me for the past 5 years and is still serving me well. Durable and easy maintenance. Have walked with me from beaches to jungles and even tough terrains.

Me too... my pair have lasted for ages and never really made any special effort to look after them either.

Deregistered

zekai, any photo?

my oakleys are essential for me when i shoot outdoors - even if i dont wear them to shoot (obviously?) i will keep them perched on my head.

my pro m frame bought in dec 98 was replaced less than a year free, since it was in warranty, then subsequently it has lasted me till now. but no problem from it apart from the coated finish peeling off - can't be too bothered with it, i'm more bothered with my camera lenses anyway. otherwise at least the lens has lasted me five years already... (GOSH! SO LONG?) only thing about the lenses is that the inner coating has peeled off somewhat, but doesn't matter much anyway.

my 2nd pro m bought in sep 99 has been serving me well too - i use it practically for only cycling and a little bit more lowlight situations - functioning perfectly. which models were the ones giving you problem?

Hi,

I'm an Oakley "die-hard" fan and owns 12 pairs of their sunnies. Started my collections from 80's and currently using one of the 80's frogskin (square frame). I've never encountered any problems or defects as far as plastic frame and lenses are concerned.

Any Oakley "die-hard" fan cares to further comment their opinion on this thread.

Cheers!!!

guess i am unlucky.

which particular store u bought them from? maybe at that time they got a batch of lemons and nobody knew it was such

Are the prices of oakley sunglasses standardized in all the stores in singapore? Or have to go hunting around for the best deal?

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    guess i am unlucky.
    No, you're not. I bought a pair for sports and bec. I thot the half-frame won't cut into my face if I happen to fall. I dropped it a couple of times (it's for sports afterall), and a part of the frame broke just after the warranty period - guess some parts are quite thin and fragile. The supposed lifetime warranty doesn't cover this. So even if I like them, it's really not good value for the money spent.

Those who own 12 pairs or so, surely your glasses will last a long time - I mean, how many pair can you wear at any one time? No wear, no tear.

you're paying for the brand and lens not the frame.

Well, make your fourth pair a X-metal!

OK..

I was seriously contemplating Oakley prescription frames as I heard that they have lifetime warranty for the frames.

If it spoils, you can bring it back, do a small topup, and they will replace a new frame for you.

Can someone clarify this?

Deregistered

in the past, supposedly so, for 30 bucks, with your expired warranty card, you can get your frame changed. now, i really don't know.

by the way, the agent has changed name, they're no longer called Zen Optics.

I don't own any plastic ones but I have one e-wire from about 5 years ago, still in good shape and no problem with the lens.

I have another pair that I use for travelling, Juliet from the X-Metal series. This one is rock solid built, I really like it. Cost a bomb though...

I think no matter what, plastic frames have limitation, whether Oakley or not.

There is no such thing in this world as pure lifetime warranty, only limited lifetime warranty. what this means is that the product (the sunglasses in this case) will be under warranty as long as it is still in production, and sometimes for a period of time after production cease (this will be stipulated in the warranty clause).

if oakley's distributor is willing to change your obsolete and defective frames and lenses to a new one for a small fee (in comparison to the cost of a new pair), count yourself lucky that you even have this privilege.

both glasses frame cracked at the same place.

could be the way i flex it but i am sure i am using it within its limitation.

will post a picture when my g2 comes back from servicing.

by the way, sehsuan you sending yours for servicing right?
    Canon have so many camera in the workshop now that it will take 2 weeks b4 they can service your camera.

Hi gihbli,

Well, owning 12 pairs doesn't rule out the possibility of normal fair wear and tear. By quoting my example, I've been wearing my favorite pair of forgskin most of the time and I'd agreed with you in regards to wear and tear, on my lenses, but not the frame itself.

The rest of my collections are for collections and will only wear them once in a blue moon.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast