Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: money loan

Working part-time at MacDonalds or as a temp clerk elsewhere...who's going to find out? Not that I'm advocating that you moonlight ....

Anyway since money is really a concern (isn't it to all of us), the best you can do is to work within your constraints. Don't think about borrowing or loaning money...short-term long-term prospects ain't good. Best is to save and scrimp. I cut back on movies, entertainment, going out, packed bread for lunch, worked as a temp, etc so that I can afford my camera gear. Now that I've got it, it's that much sweeter when shooting with it. Just my $0.02 worth.

If you need to borrow money to buy a DSLR, then I can say that a DSLR is not for you right now. Give up photography for the time being. Wait till you've saved enough, then pick it up again.

Imagine the urge to get a better lens once you've got your DSLR. What will you do? Go to another friend for more cash? It never stops. So my advice to you is to not shoot anymore.

My advice to everyone also :
    Rich man buy assets, Poor man buy stuffs.
    Last edited by AReality; 6th February 2004 at 02:19 AM.

must carry on shooting lah... just use a cheaper cam lor...
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by p4610yz
    i m a bonded student...i can't work part-time...
    ya....at least try to help abit marh....
    save save save..say is very easy..but do is hard....
    the most i m going to borrow is only 3000 bucks...
    which..i will return asap when i start work..
    If it is hard to put in practice the action of saving, what makes you think, then, that it will be easy to service your loan? The way you put it, it sounds like a deferred repayment scheme, at best, or, at worst, hoping someone would give you a lump sum and forget about it due to the length of time between borrowing and paying.

$3000 bucks? If you truly love photography, any EF-mount camera would suffice in the tough times you are in now. EOS 88 and 888 come to mind.

I would not blame anyone for being poor, because we do not choose what family we are born into, but live beyond your means, and you deserve your own suffering.

p4610yz, how old are you by the way?

I remember some time back it was reported in the straits times that one local guy put up a blog and request the online community to give him money to buy a mcintosh labtop....and people actually did give him the money.

Quote Originally Posted by garvinchow
    Realistically, I think you are hoping some kind souls out here will lend you the money to get the dslr. Unfortunately, there's really no free lunch in this part of the world. Of course, unless someone is super kind enough to forego interest and run the risk of lending money to a bonded student, then there's hardly any other way.

you should not loan money to buy a dslr.
    nobody is sympathetic to this cause.
    because dslr is an expensive luxury, not a necessity.
    in the first place, photography was not cheap.

dun get caught working part time too. cos if discovered they will force you to pay back compensation...

Most of our advise may sound discouraging to you, but I believe were all spoken with your best interest at heart. It's no fun carrying a debt on your back. Especially so when you are still a student, you may not feel the full impact of the debt until your graduate.

Either way, you still have to pay. If not now, then later.

From your situation I gather that you are facing an temptation rather than an absolute need. Be contented with what you have--you are still thinking of retiring your EOS 300 as a BACKUP? (Unless, of course, you are working full-time as a photographer then it's fully justified.)

My advice is to take into consideration the feelings of your family as well...what would they think seeing their son/brother borrowing money to spend on a DSLR?

Sorry if I sounded harsh. Although I may not be in the same shoes as you, I am also once too often tempted by the lure of DSLRs and I am all too familiar with that feeling.

p4610yz,

Didn't mean to null you in your urge to buy a DSLR, but I don't encourage you to get a loan just to get one. As far as DSLR is concerned, it won't be any cheap after adding the necessary lenses and accessories.

In your service, your have to declare your yearly indebteness and a "loan" for this isn't consider as a secure loan and that will get you into some form of trouble.

Trying hard to earn an extra income by "moon-lighting" (part-time) is not worth the while as you, being a civil servant, should know the rule-of-the-game.

As you did mentioned, you're currently in the Air Force, and I reckoned that you're earning quite a good and healthy income and you should treasure rather than "bursting" it.

IMHO, like all ppls have given you their precious advises, maybe you should save to buy it (and you'll treasure it enough more, PLUS, you can buy extras with the saving of the incurred interest) instead of getting yourself into loans, etc.

Alternatively, you may want to get an instalments scheme from SAVE Superstore (IF you really, really, really, need one).

Hope you can take a step back and consider of getting a loan.

Pls don't frame me as I'm sharing my opinion and advises.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    ... I cut back on movies, entertainment, going out, packed bread for lunch, worked as a temp, etc so that I can afford my camera gear...
    bread is especially with peanut butter. high in calories but will come off in the next afternoon long run.

cheer up p4610yz! at least u r still alive and can still savour peanut butter. things will get better with time

They teach this in kindergarten:
    Do you WANT or NEED it?

If you WANT it, then it's a luxury.
    If you NEED it, then it's a necessity.

You also said your parents are not working. How will they feel when they see you pull out a $3k camera from your bag?

So pls reconsider getting a DSLR. A cheaper camera/digicam wil ldo just fine.

I see your post, abit buay tahan already.
    To be honest, you shouldn't even think about borrowing money to buy something which is not a neccessity.
    Parents not working and still want to buy this kind of expensive thing.

If I have 1 DSLR, I don't mind to lend you for free. Otherwise, stay happily with your EOS 300, it is not so bad actually.

hallo...like to knw..where can i get a loan tat i can pay by installments...
    cos i wan to get new dslr camera but..just tat i dun hav $$ so...do enlighten me..thanz... can just reply or pm me thanz

Err guys. Just came across this thread over at Offstone. You guys may wanna check it out.

http://www.offstone.com/photo/showth...threadid=10499

Quote Originally Posted by Twilo
    Err guys. Just came across this thread over at Offstone. You guys may wanna check it out.

Could be the same guy well what is he trying to do?

chey.... i advised him to get 2nd hand D30... now he's already owning a D60.

still need $3K for what?

"use it up
    wear it out
    make it do
    or do without"
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

hallo...like to knw..where can i get a loan tat i can pay by installments...
    cos i wan to get new dslr camera but..just tat i dun hav $$ so...do enlighten me..thanz... can just reply or pm me thanz
    No offence, but if you have to take a loan to buy a DSLR, then perhaps you should rethink your priorities. From your posts, extra cash is something you don't have in abundance. To blow it on a DSLR is a little silly in my opinion. If you current body is dying, then spend a small amount to either fix it, or buy a 2nd hand 35mm body. I bought a 2nd hand EOS630 for a mere $150. You won't have to take a loan, and you won't be indebt for a couple of years just for a fancy toy. You are a student, and sole breadwinner. This is all the more reason for you to be prudent financially.

How about giving tution? Know a few 'bonded' friends that are doing that.

Btw, i do know a guy during my time in SISPEC got his contract terminated as he cant passout from SISPEC even after a few recourses due to some injuries.

He got to pay back all the money he received duing his time at poly plus the salaries he got since enlisted plus interest. It was around $80K and it was really a big blow to him.

Hehe hes bought a D60 already. So i guess his 'problem' is solved?

Hehe hes bought a D60 already. So i guess his 'problem' is solved?
    Think his problem just started!
    And his passion came first before his priority .. his family.
    Well, ain't no judge and best leave hime alone to resolve it.

Noticed how i said 'problem'? It was never really a problem from the start but if he really did get a loan to buy that camera then hes gonna have a problem.

Soon hes gonna start taking loans to buy those white lenses, more powerful flashgun, bigger storage etc.

But well...i didnt give him the loan so theres really nothing much i can say.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast