Thread: Something about rechargable batteries

Default Something about rechargable batteries

Does using the 15mins fast charger lessen the lifespan of rechargable batteries? I heard it from some friend, dunno if it's true or not.
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams

Default Re: Something about rechargable batteries

Speaking from experiences,
    Eneloop cant hold charges for very long nowadays. They are about 9 months old. =(
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

Yes. It does significantly

Quote Originally Posted by clickerz View Post
    Does using the 15mins fast charger lessen the lifespan of rechargable batteries? I heard it from some friend, dunno if it's true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by clickerz View Post
    Chances are good - fast charging uses higher current which heats up the batteries more. If possible use soft charging.
    EOS

i ALWAYS very soft charge my batts (min 13-15 hours to more than 24 hrs for higher cap batts) and keep a fan on the entire area during charging. Batts are only very very slightly warm after full charging.

Even my ultra cheapo 1300 GP cells that's like ... 5 years old are still going strong.

Hmm... I'm using Varta 15min Charge-and-Go batteries and charger. Been using them since... 2005, I think. Or is it 2004? Nonetheless, it's been at least 4 years, and they're going strong. They work so well for me that I'm looking to buy more Varta 15min batteries, but I can't find them cheap enough for me to buy another few sets of 4. Anyone knows where to get them?

Anyways, I feel that the convenience and time saved for using 15min fast chargers & batteries trump the cost of retiring batteries after heavy usage. Especially in high-use settings... Of course, you can always buy more sets of slower charging batteries, but I think I'll stick to 15min ones. =)
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    i ALWAYS very soft charge my batts (min 13-15 hours to more than 24 hrs for higher cap batts) and keep a fan on the entire area during charging. Batts are only very very slightly warm after full charging.

Even my ultra cheapo 1300 GP cells that's like ... 5 years old are still going strong.
    Hmm... i charge in my room which is airconditioned. The batts heats up all the same. Sigh..
    I hope the 2hour charger doesnt hurt the batts as much as the 15mins ones.
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

IIRC you can get the Varta quick charge ones at Carrefour.

Any fast charger will put more strain on the batts. Longevity depends on a lot more than just the heat incurred during charging. Regular maintenance is vital. Google for topics like 'How to extend the life of rechargeable batteries' and so on.