View Poll Results: Do you avoid using lens hood to avoid drawing attention?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Lens Hood attracts unwanted attention

20 24.69%
  • No. I like to look like Darth Vader.

61 75.31%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens Hood - scare people?

Default Re: Lens Hood - scare people?

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    They 'siam' coz they are afraid that that might kena 'hood'. Haha
    For me, the hood is good coz it takes the 1st knock rather than the lens hitting something hard. Of course I'm talking about the metal ones & not the rubber ones.
    i thought they will flock to you more because you look "pro" and they will want you to take nice pictures of them..

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    The extension tube provide good grip for small camera.

this is "tua gong" man

I find that the hood gets in the way when I want to adjust my circular polarizer so now the Canon 24-105mm goes without! Still use it on my telephoto though.

The other day, I was taking photos in AFA, this kid start spinning around like crazy. I tried to evade but was too late as my camera was hanging down that moment. She hit the front of the lens really hard and lucky my hood was there. The mum just say:"Don't spin anymore." and the mum continue to look forward like nothing happens. Nowadays, like most Singaporeans are just too proud or dun bother to say sorry to others.

Quote Originally Posted by kkvolution View Post
    The other day, I was taking photos in AFA, this kid start spinning around like crazy. I tried to evade but was too late as my camera was hanging down that moment. She hit the front of the lens really hard and lucky my hood was there. The mum just say:"Don't spin anymore." and the mum continue to look forward like nothing happens. Nowadays, like most Singaporeans are just too proud or dun bother to say sorry to others.
    nowadays singaporeans just don scold their kids like they used to. i guess my batch was the last batch to kena the 'teng tiao'
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by agentxq49 View Post
    nowadays singaporeans just don scold their kids like they used to. i guess my batch was the last batch to kena the 'teng tiao'
    Me too leh. I kena shoot by my mum 'teng tiao' all the time when i was small.

But even so, though they dun scold their kids, it fine cos it like it their bizness, but at least apologize to the person as a form of courtesy .... But I dunno, maybe it doesnt bother anyone here except me...

Quote Originally Posted by kkvolution View Post
    Me too leh. I kena shoot by my mum 'teng tiao' all the time when i was small.

But even so, though they dun scold their kids, it fine cos it like it their bizness, but at least apologize to the person as a form of courtesy .... But I dunno, maybe it doesnt bother anyone here except me...
    No, it bothers a lot of people-- just that these people are more aware of decorum and wouldn't bother starting a shouting war in public with this mother...

The lens hood on my 17-55 causes people to stare into the lens most of the time when I side sling my camera. Especially on escalators.
    Lensbaby Muse

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    when i do street i don't hood. only when there is chance of flare, i.e. side lighting, in landscapes, then i hood.
    Totally agree,

my lens hood usually is tucked away outdoors unless for specific reasons
    its usually stays on my lens only during events assignment

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    Some people label photographers with DSLR and a lens hood as "pros".
    So they siam when they see us.

Don't is scared or what?
    In some location, the reverse is true when the security see that big hood, they will ask you to siam.

I always use the Hood because i dun use any "UV Filter" to protect my lens. Thus the Hood acts as a Lens protection and flare reduction.
    Any way just my 2 cents the UV filter somehow do affect my photos quality. That is why I do not use it!

Lens hoods serve their purpose very well. I don't think it will really scare people. The benefits of using lens hood outweighs what you perceive as the scare factor of it.
    You don't take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams

If 17-55mm lens hood can scare ppl then i guess the 24-70 L lens hood can make ppl run away

I use lens hood because putting it at away will make it become useless.. So might as well just use it lor, looks better too.. haha...!!

i change my kit lens coz it makes me like noob, as it do not have hood... lol... thats why i get the sigma 17-70mm... better looking... hahahaha...

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNoobs View Post
    i change my kit lens coz it makes me like noob, as it do not have hood... lol... thats why i get the sigma 17-70mm... better looking... hahahaha...
    But then your nick is: KingOfNoobs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12