Thread: Ever had a photo of yours used without permission? What did you do?

Default Ever had a photo of yours used without permission? What did you do?

Hey there , i'd like to hear from your experiences as i'm now facing that problem , and not sure what to do. I submitted a few photos in the " singapore my home - come together" competition and one of them won a prize and was used in postcards and in the booklet given out during ndp. That felt great for a relatively new photographer like me.

However , another photo of mine that i submitted was used too , and on the cover page of the booklet. It's stated in the T&Cs that " The Organiser reserves the right to use the winning and accepted entries for NDP and National Education publicity and marketing purposes, with copyright owners being credited accordingly where appropriate." and through emails , people from photo vivo agreed that it was against the terms for them to use my photo.

Now , they've referred me to someone from saf i think , and he says that the person in charge is in India and he can't do anything. I know that it was probably an honest mistake that my photo was used , but i'm just wondering if there's something that can be done and i'd love to hear what you've done in your cases in the past.

Default Re: Ever had a photo of yours used without permission? What did you do?

Er?so whats ur pt?...
    Why can't they use your photo leh?
    They did not reject your entry and so it was 'accepted' rite?

T&Cs "...and accepted entries for NDP..."
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 23rd November 2009 at 10:34 AM.

no. there were 13 main prizes and 50 other winners that they called "accepted" photos. not all the entries. thats what i thought at first but the organisers have confirmed with me that the " accepted" in the T&Cs is referring to the 50 accepted entries.

read carefully ,there is a gray area,

all summited entry will not be returned.

they reserved the rights to use all winners and accepted photos.

but never mention they WILL NOT USE NONE accepted photos.

guess you can't do anything about it, can try go and see a MP to complaint and see how lar..
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by coolin View Post
    Ever had a photo of yours used without permission? What did you do?
    Normally the user would end up in a hospital bed with a broken leg or arm.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    read carefully ,there is a gray area,

all summited entry will not be returned.

they reserved the rights to use all winners and accepted photos.

but never mention they WILL NOT USE NONE accepted photos.

guess you can't do anything about it, can try go and see a MP to complaint and see how lar..
    sigh. i guess so. it just sucks that they admitted that it's their fault but didn't wanna do anything much. all they offered was to give me some more copies of the booklet and some cert. i guess i'll just be happy that it was used and move on then.

There's a reason why quite a few photographers refuse to enter local photo competitions.

Even if a huge $10,000 first prize is offered, imagine the thousands others that get exploited.