Thread: What is a suitable beginner telephoto lens for sports photography?

Default What is a suitable beginner telephoto lens for sports photography?

What would be a good beginner telephoto lens that is suitable for taking pictures of sporting action?

I will be spending a few months in Europe on an exchange program and I hope to attend some of their sporting events. However I am only likely to be able to afford the cheaper tickets (i.e. high up in the stands and far from the action) hence I would like to seek some advice on what would be a suitable lens.

I am only a beginner, using a Canon 1000D.

Thank you very much in advance.

Default Re: What is a suitable beginner telephoto lens for sports photography?

400mm f/5.6, 70-200mm f/4 or f/2.8 IS
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

Depending on ur budget. Usually u won't get pretty good shots so high up in the stands unless u can afford the big guns like 400-500 mm. Also depending on lighting. If broad daylight light u still can get decent shots with zoom coupled with teleconverters. If it's night with stadium lights then u need at least a f2.8- 4 lens cos 1000D prob can give u decent pics only prob up to ISO 800. You may consider a Tamron 18-270mm cos it gives pretty decent pic quality and will give you F4 up to 200mm. Another one to consider is the new Sigma 70-300mm OS but i dunno if it will give you F4 at 200mm. If your budget is lower...you may consider canon's 55-250 IS or Sigma's 70-300mm (non OS).

The main concern really is the distance and lighting conditions cos if you are up in the stands i dun think you can get a good enough shot. Those pics you see in newspapers are mostly taken along the sidelines...
    Last edited by dev2k8; 22nd November 2009 at 08:07 PM.

I would say a 55-250 should be good since you are travelling and won't really want to lug a 70-200 around since you're mainly there for exchange. 70-300 would of course be a much better option. =D

Quote Originally Posted by roque View Post
    What would be a good beginner telephoto lens that is suitable for taking pictures of sporting action?

I will be spending a few months in Europe on an exchange program and I hope to attend some of their sporting events. However I am only likely to be able to afford the cheaper tickets (i.e. high up in the stands and far from the action) hence I would like to seek some advice on what would be a suitable lens.

I am only a beginner, using a Canon 1000D.

Thank you very much in advance.
    It will depend on the sports you intend to shoot and the actual distances. A good rule of thumb is 100mm of lens per 10m of distance. Multiply the distance by the crop factor if using a non full frame camera. eg: 15m per 100m for Nikon etc.

The shot below was taken with a 400/2.8 with 2xTC giving a film body equivalent to 1200mm. Distance to the player was approximately 90 meters. This will give you an idea of what is needed to get right in to the thick of any field sport such as soccer, cricket, football etc.

Last edited by Ian; 22nd November 2009 at 11:35 PM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

What are you taking and is it taken in the day or night? If taking in the day and outdoor then you can try using 55-200mm or 70-300mm kit lenses and push up a bit of ISO to achieve faster shutter speed. If it's indoor/fast motion/in the night, a 70-200mm f2.8 would be required.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony