Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what jacket brand is good and cheap for sichuan, china during winter?

Default Re: what jacket brand is good and cheap for sichuan, china during winter?

You can try winning. They have some cheap jackets. The trick is layering. Layering is so that when you are warm from your trek or whatever, you can take off 'layer by layer' so that you will always lose the 'correct' amount of heat in order not to sweat.
    I climbed the rinjani(about 2-5 degrees with STRONG wind) with about 4 layers. 1 thermal wear(those white colour 1), a shirt, a fleece and a windproof, water-proof outer shell.
    It suffice for most of us climbing the mountain. Of course, I am physically exhausting myself for the trek, therefore may need less layer.

The total cost of all the layers is about $60 excluding the outer shell which i borrowed from school(but that's by the most expensive layer).

You can check out this traveler store at Marina Square I think it's called explorer.

Blog Entries

Default Re: what jacket brand is good and cheap for sichuan, china during winter?

Get a down feather winter jacket there in China. Cost should be around 300 RMB (60+ SGD).

you will also need a woven pullover inside on top of your T-shirt or long johns. In china that should cost around 50 RMB (10+ SGD).

Long johns (aka thermals) can also get in China. around 30-50 RMB for thick wool ones, wear underneath your jeans.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd November 2009 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    i just checked the climate...
    it will be from 2-7 degrees C, during my trip.
    These are long term average values. The actual value can easily be in the range of +/- 10C around that. This is outside tropical region, so the range between daily minimum / maximum becomes longer.
    EOS

Agree that NorthFace is good. I once wear 1 t shirt and 1 north face winter jacket (3layers) under snowing and perfectly fine. No doubt it is expensive. but
    山寨version North Face in china is good. and normally around SGD50.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 23rd November 2009 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    You won't freeze to death at that temperature.......

With your inner thermal wear, 2 (or 3) layers of shirt and a normal jacket, you don't even need a winter jacket really.

I've tried walking around on a 5 deg night in just a long-sleeved shirt, jeans and slippers. Sure it was cold, but not enough to freeze to death.
    wah! hmm.. but i am very vulnerable to cold. even in Zhuhai few winters back. I was so cold I almost fainted. Dampy wind from sea breeze made matters worse.

Quote Originally Posted by faineant View Post
    Go to Mustafa to buy cheap one . 2-7deg is not super cold, unless its real windy over there. Windchill factor is a killer!
    Mustafa a? Dont know why I got no mood to buy jacket from that store. Not sure too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    Just bought a down-feather jacket (water-proof somemore) in China for RMB$200

That's S$40+ only.

I just went to Chengdu & JiuZaiGou last week, not very windy and not as cold as where i am staying now.
    WAH! cheap! Anyways I will go check out some stores here too. So where are you staying now?

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Actually you can just bring some warm clothing to "tong". When you get to China, get the jacket from there. It is so much cheaper. All the branded jacket are made in China. You can get some at 1/4 the price in Singapore.
    HAHAH! Tong a.. reach there firstly have to check in hotel before I can go anywhere.

Can get a The North Face jacket in China for RMB250, claim to be rejected goods but may be fake one?

But I don't care about the design/brand as long as it serve it purpose, down-feather jacket somemore
    HAHA! WAH! CHEAP! Northface for RMB250! Any Northface shops in Chengdu, Sichuan?
    Last edited by happyfrog; 23rd November 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    You can try winning. They have some cheap jackets. The trick is layering. Layering is so that when you are warm from your trek or whatever, you can take off 'layer by layer' so that you will always lose the 'correct' amount of heat in order not to sweat.
    I climbed the rinjani(about 2-5 degrees with STRONG wind) with about 4 layers. 1 thermal wear(those white colour 1), a shirt, a fleece and a windproof, water-proof outer shell.
    It suffice for most of us climbing the mountain. Of course, I am physically exhausting myself for the trek, therefore may need less layer.

The total cost of all the layers is about $60 excluding the outer shell which i borrowed from school(but that's by the most expensive layer).

You can check out this traveler store at Marina Square I think it's called explorer.
    Been there before. The explorer shop is kinda expensive. The thing about layering is that sometimes it's not so breathable, and I end up being sticky. I read that Goretex material is good, but expensive at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Get a down feather winter jacket there in China. Cost should be around 300 RMB (60+ SGD).

you will also need a woven pullover inside on top of your T-shirt or long johns. In china that should cost around 50 RMB (10+ SGD).

Long johns (aka thermals) can also get in China. around 30-50 RMB for thick wool ones, wear underneath your jeans.
    The cheap price is really attractive. Maybe I'll just stand the chill for a few hours to save those bucks. Hmm...

Anyone of you did tat before? Just T shirt and normal sweater, then rush to shop and buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    These are long term average values. The actual value can easily be in the range of +/- 10C around that. This is outside tropical region, so the range between daily minimum / maximum becomes longer.
    Wah, could easily go negative then.

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se View Post
    Agree that NorthFace is good. I once wear 1 t shirt and 1 north face winter jacket (3layers) under snowing and perfectly fine. No doubt it is expensive. but
    山寨version North Face in china is good. and normally around SGD50.
    is it as good as the original?

HAHA! WAH! CHEAP! Northface for RMB250! Any Northface shops in Chengdu, Sichuan?
    I doubt you can get it for RMB250 in the original store.

There are plenty of shops selling winter clothing in Chengdu, if you want cheap and good, go for those fake、rejected or china brands. There are several wholesale center at chengdu central

eg. 成都九龙广场, along 春熙路步行街 and 青年路

Map: http://maps.google.com.sg/maps?f=q&s...,0.001918&z=19

Photo:
    http://www.cdyouhe.com/gongchen/7.jpg
    http://www.icctcc.com/upfile/2009722214639122.jpg
    Last edited by Wai; 23rd November 2009 at 03:11 PM.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Wah, could easily go negative then.
    Have you heard about the recent tinkering of some "Weather Authorities" in Beijing? They wanted to create rain and what they got was a sudden drop in temperature (sub zero) and heavy snow.
    So there are more possible reasons for deviations from any long term average
    EOS

hi

i just checked out adventure 21 at chinatown point. they only carry Marmut brand. Very pricey. Out of my budget.

I think i will just buy it in china. was chatting with my friend whos in vietnam now. northface goretex is only 65sgd

I think a good way is to go to Winter clothing shops (i.e. WinterTime).
    They have wind-breaker for different temperature range.

It would be a better way to find one suitable for your trip.
    Another layer that would be good is Timberland.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    I think a good way is to go to Winter clothing shops (i.e. WinterTime).
    They have wind-breaker for different temperature range.

It would be a better way to find one suitable for your trip.
    Another layer that would be good is Timberland.
    which 1? the fleece?

Buy at Chunxi jie, Chengdu on your 1st day. Sure can find down jacket or waterproof + fleece jacket. I got my Northface at abt RMB380 in Tibet, quite gd. The down jacket I bot in Chunxi jie also abt this price.

Agreed to buy in China better, sure can have a lot of choices and good bargain. Or use any jacket / clothes available Or buy a cheap one, then go there buy a better one with cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by luosangjian View Post
    Buy at Chunxi jie, Chengdu on your 1st day. Sure can find down jacket or waterproof + fleece jacket. I got my Northface at abt RMB380 in Tibet, quite gd. The down jacket I bot in Chunxi jie also abt this price.
    Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Agreed to buy in China better, sure can have a lot of choices and good bargain. Or use any jacket / clothes available Or buy a cheap one, then go there buy a better one with cheaper price.
    Thanks for the advice. China it is then.

Are these Northface or Northfake you all are describing here?

Quote Originally Posted by acpical View Post
    Are these Northface or Northfake you all are describing here?
    Either Northfake or Northrejected Can get it less than RMB250 at where i am staying now

You can ask them to pour water on it to test if it is really water proof
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Either Northfake or Northrejected Can get it less than RMB250 at where i am staying now

You can ask them to pour water on it to test if it is really water proof
    Aiyo... so, can't get NorthorginalFace?

Wear layers... Not jacket. When I went there in mid winter this year (jan), I had to pull off all my layers till I only had a cotton t-shirt left. High in the mountains, the temperature was -15 degrees in the early morning and like 28 degrees in the mid-afternoon

hey what about shanghai. Going to harbin but a short transfer in shanghai with an evening free. Checked the temp and its -20 for harbin!!!!! Thought of only investing in some good thermal underwear then buying jackets in china.

Currently now thinking of getting under armour cold gear and ship it via borderlinx. But it will cost like $150. Anyone knows where to get compression style thermals>?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12