Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what jacket brand is good and cheap for sichuan, china during winter?

Default what jacket brand is good and cheap for sichuan, china during winter?

any recommendations?

Default Re: what jacket brand is good and cheap for sichuan, china during winter?

That is a tough one. I'd say go with many layers and a decent jacket from one of the big brands. Try getting it used for a much better price if this is all you need it for.

Default Re: what jacket brand is good and cheap for sichuan, china during winter?

1 jacket 4 shirts and 1 pants would be good to go there
    My Passion, My Dedication, My Photography

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    any recommendations?
    Lafuma, Nautica etc. Quite expensive in Singapore but cheap in US.

Basically, the most important layers in winter clothes are: lightweight, wind/water proof outer shell + fleece layer.

Don't get those super thick single jacket 'cos they are heavy, bulky and inconvenient. They can always get uncomfortably warm when you are indoors.
    Last edited by doodah; 22nd November 2009 at 08:39 AM.

As others have said, layering is the most important. A good fleece jacket with optional waterproof outer is by far the most flexible. More important for photogs is keeping your head/ears warm so invest in a good beanie. You may also want to try various types of gloves to make sure you can use them with your cam as taking them off before shooting can be a pita. Also good quality thermal socks can improve your comfort greatly.

Berghaus is my personal choice but is not cheap either. http://www.berghaus.com/

Have fun!
    Last edited by eosandy; 22nd November 2009 at 08:47 AM.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

Alternatively, you can buy them over in China.

Down-feather jackets that sell for hundreds here can be had for...

any recommendations?
    Are you talking about walking in winter in the open countryside or just something for warmth while you go from place to place in the cities?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Thanks guys... Will be going there during early January.

Yes, I will be walking out in the open countryside. First time doing such trips. So, I'm just wondering what are the essential clothes required for the wilderness during winter.

There are many brands out there, was just wondering what is a good brand. So far, I only know Northface is good but very pricey.

any recommendations?
    (1) Cheap & good = Wintertime (www.wintertime.com.sg)

(2) Good but not necessarily cheap = North Face, Columbia

North Face
    Suntec City Mall
    #01-023 Suntec City Mall,
    3 Temasek Boulevard,
    Singapore 038983
    65 6334 1568

As someone said, best not to get a very thick coat. The trick is in layering. Get a good base layer and if you are prone to cold, wear a fleece mid layer add in a water and wind proof outer layer. You should be hot and toasty with all those layers.

Don't forget your hands and head too as the head gives off heat - a good beanie should suffice.

When I ski in the snow, I usually wear a base layer and an outer ski coat, with proper gloves, beanie and ski pants and I am nice and warm throughout the day in the snow.

Hey trust me go to china and buy it's very cheap I bought a jacket there Singapore cost 200+ there only cost 80-90
    My Passion, My Dedication, My Photography

Quote Originally Posted by MrKami View Post
    Hey trust me go to china and buy it's very cheap I bought a jacket there Singapore cost 200+ there only cost 80-90
    what brands are those? are they good?

i just checked the climate...

it will be from 2-7 degrees C, during my trip.

any recommendations?
    buy from china army surplus store...good and cheap and allow u to blend in with the locals.

go china and buy!. fake gd and cheap stuff. my fake jacket would cost $800 in sgd...got there for 800 RMB. or smth like that
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    go china and buy!. fake gd and cheap stuff. my fake jacket would cost $800 in sgd...got there for 800 RMB. or smth like that
    but i would have freezed to death the moment i got there?

i just checked the climate...

it will be from 2-7 degrees C, during my trip.
    You won't freeze to death at that temperature.......

With your inner thermal wear, 2 (or 3) layers of shirt and a normal jacket, you don't even need a winter jacket really.

I've tried walking around on a 5 deg night in just a long-sleeved shirt, jeans and slippers. Sure it was cold, but not enough to freeze to death.

Go to Mustafa to buy cheap one . 2-7deg is not super cold, unless its real windy over there. Windchill factor is a killer!
    Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    Alternatively, you can buy them over in China.

Down-feather jackets that sell for hundreds here can be had for...
    Just bought a down-feather jacket (water-proof somemore) in China for RMB$200

That's S$40+ only.

I just went to Chengdu & JiuZaiGou last week, not very windy and not as cold as where i am staying now.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Actually you can just bring some warm clothing to "tong". When you get to China, get the jacket from there. It is so much cheaper. All the branded jacket are made in China. You can get some at 1/4 the price in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    (2) Good but not necessarily cheap = North Face, Columbia
    Can get a The North Face jacket in China for RMB250, claim to be rejected goods but may be fake one?

But I don't care about the design/brand as long as it serve it purpose, down-feather jacket somemore
    Last edited by Wai; 23rd November 2009 at 10:59 AM.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast