Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How I fixed a dropped AFS ED 28-70 F2.8

Default Re: How I fixed a dropped AFS ED 28-70 F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    You looked like you've just diffused a plutonium bomb! Impressive!

Thanks, here's another bomb

Last edited by fatigue; 14th May 2010 at 05:53 PM.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    Thanks, here another bomb

wah.. what happen to this bomb?? dropped??

Default Re: Re-assembling AFS ED 28-70 F2.8

Hi Paul, first of all, welcome to Clubsnap. Iím glad your 1st and 2nd posts are on the thread I started.

Your procedure is great!
    Sometimes, you can take advantage of the difference in height of the 2 small metal pieces to slide-in the aperture control. If the 2 small pieces doesnít want to cooperate, then I use my sharpened chopstick.

Thank for helping me out! I find it really hard to describe the procedure of sliding the aperture control, a procedure that usually takes a few seconds to perform.
    Isn't it nice to see more people stripping their lenses, bodies etc?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Isn't it nice to see more people stripping their lenses, bodies etc?
    Hey! you started it.
    9815-1974

Hey! you started it.
    Nah.. You've stripped more lenses than me.

Nice work, Fatigue!
    Your fame is getting bigger!

Question, how do you keep all the dust (floating around) from creeping in? I mean, that must have been quite a challenge right? Forgive my ignorance (I'm sure you must have ways to do this?)...

And after this I suppose you know how to collimate it?

wow. . impressive David, seldom see the inside of a lens, I woldnt dare do it, What happened to the 14 24 ?

Quote Originally Posted by schmuak View Post
    And after this I suppose you know how to collimate it?
    If you opened up one before, you'll know that they won't need collimation.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 18th May 2010 at 04:07 AM.

Super impressive!
    The moment I saw your ESD mat...I know you know your stuffs very well... Thanks for showing us how you work...even If I know the stuffs, I won't dare to open up the >thousand dollar lens
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

First time poster, long time shooter here.

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I recently had an issue with my AF-S 28-70mm which might be similar to the one discussed in "AFS ED 28-70 F2.8 lens focus problem?" thread

When autofocussing, the lens seems to get stuck between the 3 and 5 meter mark. Sometimes when I purposely make it hunt (focus to macro and then back to infinity) the lens has a chance of getting over the 3 and 5 meter mark due to the momentum, I can see there that is some resistance as it focuses across that point. When it gets stuck, I can lightly nudge the focus ring or give it a tap and the focus will continue pass the point. It seems that something is causing the SWM to jam at that particular point in the focus track. The manual focus ring is smooth, and I do not feel any resistance when turning past 3 and 5 meters so it seems to be isolated to the SWM mechanism, which makes me think that my issue might be different to the one in fatigue's thread (just guessing). Also, my lens does not make a screeching sound when focussing. It is one of the rare few that focuses silently!

If anyone else has experienced this in the past, could you let me know if the issue was caused by the SWM? Knowing my Nikon Service Centre here, they will probably recommend replacing the SWM but that might not be the cause of the problem, especially if the loose flex circuit board is also able to cause the problem that I described above. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by aaron33; 9th December 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron33 View Post
    First time poster, long time shooter here.

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I recently had an issue with my AF-S 28-70mm which might be similar to the one discussed in "AFS ED 28-70 F2.8 lens focus problem?" thread

When autofocussing, the lens seems to get stuck between the 3 and 5 meter mark. Sometimes when I purposely make it hunt (focus to macro and then back to infinity) the lens has a chance of getting over the 3 and 5 meter mark due to the momentum, I can see there that is some resistance as it focuses across that point. When it gets stuck, I can lightly nudge the focus ring or give it a tap and the focus will continue pass the point. It seems that something is causing the SWM to jam at that particular point in the focus track. The manual focus ring is smooth, and I do not feel any resistance when turning past 3 and 5 meters so it seems to be isolated to the SWM mechanism, which makes me think that my issue might be different to the one in fatigue's thread (just guessing). Also, my lens does not make a screeching sound when focussing. It is one of the rare few that focuses silently!

If anyone else has experienced this in the past, could you let me know if the issue was caused by the SWM? Knowing my Nikon Service Centre here, they will probably recommend replacing the SWM but that might not be the cause of the problem, especially if the loose flex circuit board is also able to cause the problem that I described above. Thanks in advance!
    You could be right. I have fixed quite a number of similar problem on this lens and the cause is due to loose flex circuit board.
    Lucky me you're not providing the same services

The culprit:

The fix:
    Last edited by fatigue; 10th December 2012 at 11:28 AM.
    9815-1974

Oops! my bad , there's another thread
    9815-1974

Thanks, here's another bomb

Admit it... you like dropping things so you can have a good excuse to pull them apart and repair them.

After all, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Isn't that so? Anyway, keep on dropping your stuff, I like to see how you are fixing them.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer

Admit it... you like dropping things so you can have a good excuse to pull them apart and repair them.

After all, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Isn't that so? Anyway, keep on dropping your stuff, I like to see how you are fixing them.
    Our brother Fatigue is a CS repair pro many of us turn to for a good service. Nice and approachable gentleman. Others drop them, he fixes others mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    Our brother Fatigue is a CS repair pro many of us turn to for a good service. Nice and approachable gentleman. Others drop them, he fixes others mistake.
    ...but I am sure he enjoys doing it. I also like to fix things, so I know the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoPerplexed View Post
    Wow, as a 28-70mm f2.8 owner myself, I was fascinated to see what was inside 'The Beast'.. Nice work fatigue!
    Same here. Nice work!

this is awesome! exactly what i need right now!!!

Question Re: Re-assembling AFS ED 28-70 F2.8

Hi Paul, first of all, welcome to Clubsnap. Iím glad your 1st and 2nd posts are on the thread I started.

Your procedure is great!
    Sometimes, you can take advantage of the difference in height of the 2 small metal pieces to slide-in the aperture control. If the 2 small pieces doesnít want to cooperate, then I use my sharpened chopstick.

Thank for helping me out! I find it really hard to describe the procedure of sliding the aperture control, a procedure that usually takes a few seconds to perform.
    Hi Fatigue,
    Thank you to show us how to open this gem and I followed your steps, unfortunately when I put back the aperture long lever that I did inserted it between 2 small metal, wide open and small closed are OK on this moment, but when I put the last metal mount back on the lens and tried out that I found could not wide open enough due to the limit space on the silver metal mount. I know I did something wrong and I don't have any reference photo to follow. Can you or other members show me the photo of the aperture mechanism assembly? Also how many tiny springs suppose inside by the
    2 tiny metals? or guide me where I can find some information about it? Thank you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast