Thread: Autofocus problem

Default Autofocus problem

Hi all,

Im using a Canon 400D. I find that it is very difficult for me to use the AF mode. Instead of locking-on, it endlessly hunt back and forth (in both daylight and low light). I am using the centre focus point.

May i know what may cause it?

I greatly appecaite all help. many thanks!

Default Re: Autofocus problem

Could be due to the minimum focusing distance of the lens. Try standing further from your subject to see if it works.

Another possibility is the light condition is too low or your subject has too low contrast for the AF to detect.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

check ur settings. i'm using canon 400D too.

2 possible reasons:
    1) your focusing is set to AI Servo. meaning ur camera will continuously hunt to keep that one particular spot in focus whenever u recompose your shot.

2)ur dof. (i.e. what is ur aperture?) if ur dof is very thin, chances are that and slight repositioning might cause ur camera to keep hunting for that focus.

chances are it's probably option 1)

How far away are you from the subject? I see many newbie DSLR owners trying to take close-up macro shots of their desserts using the kit lens (it's not a macro lens), without considering the minimum focusing distance of the lens.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by kerinong View Post
    Hi all,

Im using a Canon 400D. I find that it is very difficult for me to use the AF mode. Instead of locking-on, it endlessly hunt back and forth (in both daylight and low light). I am using the centre focus point.

May i know what may cause it?

I greatly appecaite all help. many thanks!
    I'm sorry but all the essential details are missing, so we can only guess at any number of reasons that could be causing your lens/camera to hunt, and listing all of them would not be of any help to you but might confuse you even more.

If you could be more specific, stating exactly what you were shooting, the color of your subject, what ended up in the AF box and just outside of it, what lens you were using, what AF mode you were using, how you managed your shutter button control and even how steadily you kept the target within the AF box, we might have a better idea and can help you.

Google topics like "How auto focus works", "Canon AF systems", "Making the best out of your auto focus system" and so on.

While quite revolutionary and sophisticated, AF systems are only as good as their programming, design capabilities, one's understanding of how they work, and their limitations.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 22nd November 2009 at 01:32 AM.