Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend entry level DSLR

Default Re: Recommend entry level DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by tech_oasis View Post
    I am a noob P&S photographer but wife is suddenly into photography and wants to purchase a DSLR.

Will use camera mainly for:
    - Potrait shots (we have a baby now)
    - Wants "back ground" faded effect

Currently I'm looking at the Sony A230/330 or perhaps a used one of the same series.

Will the 18~55 lens be sufficient for my needs. is there a need for the 55~200 or 70~300 lens?

Sony shop claim they will tive 8GB, carry case, battery and tripod whole retail shops won't for the promo price of 899. True or ...?

Need advice.

Thanks
    Get a kits lens,unless you want to shoot far.For back ground,I don't you need to spend that kind of money just to shot your baby. Try to look around and check the brand and the price.
    What is the price before the promo or you need to talk to your wife how much you need to spend all these equipment.

Will be getting my cam this weekend however got recommendations from a friend that i will like to verify

Spoke to a friend into digital photography and told me not to the following:

1. get the 50f1.8 lens rather get the 55~200mm lens so i can get a "wider" range rather than spending money later for zoom. Based on what I read on the net the 55~200 is also suitable for potraits but can it acheive the bokeh effect?

2. get the 15~55 to "play" around first before purchasing additional lens. Is it sufficient for my needs?

Thanks
    Last edited by tech_oasis; 28th November 2009 at 04:06 PM. Reason: edit

Will be getting my cam this weekend however got recommendations from a friend that i will like to verify

1. get the 50f1.8 lens rather get the 55~200mm lens so i can get a "wider" range rather than spending money later for zoom. Based on what I read on the net the 55~200 is also suitable for potraits but can it acheive the bokeh effect?

2. get the 15~55 to "play" around first before purchasing additional lens. Is it sufficient for my needs?

Thanks
    55-200? 15-55?? u mean 55-250mm and 18-55mm?

I would suggest dat u go read up simi si depth of field lor...all these 3 lens can achieve the boken effect..

well, get the kit lens plus 50mm to start wif....if u nn more reach then u go get the 55-250mm

Thanks
    18-55 kit lens and the additional 55-200 lens means you can "cover the range" from 18-200mm with both these lenses.
    Is your objective in photography to take good photos, or acquire gear to "cover the range"?
    Depending on the photography you do, 55-200 might be your most valuable lens, or it might be the most under-used one.

By "bokeh effect", I presume that you mean subject isolation from the background by rendering the background blurry.
    55-200 lens can achieve subject isolation as well, but in comparison with the 50mm f/1.8, your Camera-Subject-Background distance relationship will be different when trying to achieve a similar amount of background blurring. You might need to be at 200mm and maximum aperture, by which time you'd be shooting from 20m away perhaps.

Basically 50/1.8 and 55-200 are 2 different animals which can't be compared so simply.
    Exploring! :)

Thanks
    Since you mentioned that you will be taking more of your baby's pictures, a 50 f1.8 and 18-55 is a better combination as it will allow you to get close to your baby, achieve good bokeh (esp the f1.8), use a faster shutter speed (f1.8) and minimise or remove the need for flash (f1.8). But if you can spare a few hundred, getting all three lenses will give you a more versatile system. Longer focal lengths lenses are more flattering for portraits compared to wide angled lenses due to the perspective of the lens.

To achieve better bokeh for good separation of subject from background, you can use any or combination of this methods:
    1 - your distance to subject, must be lesser than the distance between subject to background
    2 - use the biggest aperture possible

Thanks for e advice.

Freebies offered at Sitex seems attractive, unfortunately notice tt shops don't offer e same thing. No looking forward to fighting with the crowd to get my cam

Freebies offered at Sitex seems attractive, unfortunately notice tt shops don't offer e same thing. No looking forward to fighting with the crowd to get my cam
    What are these freebies? Haven't seen any shop that gives away good stuff for free.
    EOS

Thanks for e advice.

You can probably get a better price at the shops. And with the savings you can choose to buy the exact accessories you want. Maybe a specfic dri-cabi or a dry-box, blower, lenspen, bag, battery, card and etc. But if the freebies at Sitex are the ones you're willing to use, then maybe its worth to go down, especially Sunday, when you might get more freebies if you're lucky.

Thanks for e advice.

depends on mode of payment...if credit card then i recommend the megastores or at least shops that accept credit card. At least get the points...i mean, how often you spend so much at one time.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

well, if u have the cash den u cn go ahead and follow the advice of the ppl here,which is to get a new lens, and if u wana save up,u cn just stick to the kit lens.

for potrait,its about composition and lighting,use the rule of thirds.
    for blur background, u cn open ur aperture wide,zoom all the way in and step back a little and make sure ur subject is far away frm the background.

that's about it. if u wanna learn more go to this website http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/DS...als_tips.shtml it cn teach u the basics of photography. a great way to start. cheers!
    NIKON D60|18-55mm|18-200mm|Raynox DCR 250|Di622
    Fail to plan is planning to fail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12