Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting Negatives to digital jpegs

Default Converting Negatives to digital jpegs

Hi all,
    I am trying to convert 20+ rolls of negatives into .JPG
    I tried sending them to several shops, but most of the conversion resulted in very grainy .JPGs
    Morerover they charge about $8 per roll to burn onto CDs.
    Any suggestions...
    I do not want to buy a Nikon Film scanner just to scan these 20+ rolls... Anywhere I can rent a Film scanner?
    Thanks!

hi, i was quoted $9 per roll at a fujifilm shop...... ususally wat will be the image size when its converted to digital?

Quote Originally Posted by nickpower
    hi, i was quoted $9 per roll at a fujifilm shop...... ususally wat will be the image size when its converted to digital?
    $9? Should be scanning at 4-base. That's 1840x1232pixels size.

You may find this thread helpful and good news to you:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ighlight=grace

You may wish to try PP Digital imaging at Far East Plaza 03-69. They charge only 5 bucks, and with 20 rolls, further discount.

The image size is only 1000x1500. This is actually equivalent to 2000x3000 in the normal digital camera system. Give it a try. Print up to 10x15 without problem.

How about negatives that have fungus on it .. (+15yrs old) ?

KT Digital Imaging at Chinatown, $5 per roll (36 exposures) for 1800x1200, $12 for 3600x2400, both include burning to CD. Quality I do not know. Output is BMP format (if I did not remember wrongly).

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    The image size is only 1000x1500. This is actually equivalent to 2000x3000 in the normal digital camera system. Give it a try. Print up to 10x15 without problem.
    Image size of 1000x1500 equivalent to 2000x3000 in digital system? Oohs, care to explain further please? Sort of very confusing. What is the distance between adjacent pixels for digital camera system??

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Image size of 1000x1500 equivalent to 2000x3000 in digital system? Oohs, care to explain further please? Sort of very confusing. What is the distance between adjacent pixels for digital camera system??
    Firstly, the results. Get your negatives scanned and it say 1.2MB file size at 1000x1500 resolution. Look at them on your computer screen. And try either printing it with your printer. See the results. Also, try one 8x10 enlargement print by the minilab from the CD storing your digital pic. See for yourself and let your eyes be the judge. If you're even more discerning, go and make another enlargement of the same pic from the negative. There you are, you got the ultimate A/B comparo!

Now, the technical part - your digital camera, most of them, be it P&S or dSLR (except the Sigma dSLR), have got pixels arranged in RGBGR..... and then the image is interpolated in a smart bicubic way. Bicubic is too "Chim" for me to understand. When you scan, there are actually 3 sensors, RGB that captures the 3 colours in turn on each pixel. So, there you are, although the format is JPEG, but the scanned file is more precise, and contains more original information than the digicam file.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 6th February 2004 at 10:01 PM.

Hi,
    I sent some rolls to the Standard Photo at Compass Point.
    The image size is 1840x1232 and they used a Fuji SP-2000 Scanner.
    At S$9 per roll... Still looking for a more economical way of coverting large anounts of negatives.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by nickpower

i think you can either look for a shop that does it cheaper, or rent Shriros scanner at $10 -$12 an hour - do a search for the thread .

Try Soo Kee at Clifford Centre Raffles Place. Scan only $5.90 per roll at 1800x1200 with Fuji Frontier machines. CD included.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel
    Try Soo Kee at Clifford Centre Raffles Place. Scan only $5.90 per roll at 1800x1200 with Fuji Frontier machines. CD included.
    That is the price excluding developing right?

Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    That is the price excluding developing right?
    Sorry for the late reply. Answer is yes. You need to pay $5 for film developing. Not worth it if you need to process film and scan. Worth it if you have a whole bunch of negs that you just want to scan.

I think Soo Kee at Clifford gives you a CD-case sized contact sheet as well, if that's any incentive.

Recently sent a roll to test at Kim Tian DI. I asked them about bulk rates for 50+ rolls (all already developed and cut) and was offered $5 per roll for low-res, $8 for high-res. As it takes time to load and scan cut film, turn-around won't be as fast as scanning from uncut film.

Hi band of brothers out there,
    Can help by posting some of your film to lab-scan samples?
    I understand all labs produce different results (dufferent scanner too) and I use lab scan quite a bit myself too. So want other alternative to try out to compare their results.

Sample 1 from KC Ginza:

Sample 2 from KC Ginza:

So far only try 1 lab and quite ok for my archieving purposes, want to try some other labs too.

Any real good one to recommend?

any shops that does AFFORDABLE 120negative scanning?

i was quoted S$3/image and an additional S$5 for the services and CD.
    thus, if i'm shooting on 645 medium format, it will worked out to 15X3+5=S$50/.

wow...

but it is scanned in .BMP and of a higher resolution(forgotten the image size).

i'm looking at S$10 per roll of 120 at most.

thanks in advance!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

For $24 you get to rent a scanner at Shriro (min 2hrs booking at $12/hr), plus $2 for a CD... you should be able to get 16 shots scanned in that time if you are fast.

Quote Originally Posted by igpenguin
    For $24 you get to rent a scanner at Shriro (min 2hrs booking at $12/hr), plus $2 for a CD... you should be able to get 16 shots scanned in that time if you are fast.
    for medium format?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Yup... It's a Nikon Coolscan8000. Got my MF stuff scanned there a few times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast