Thread: UV Filter: To use or not to use...

Default UV Filter: To use or not to use...

Some say yes, Some say no...

When i'm using, sometimes flares might be occured in the photo. I bought it for protecting the len. (i'm a careful user which i don't think i'll scratch the lens or whatever). Just protecting from dust etc.

So can experienced buddies here give some advice?
    Pro VS Con?
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

Default Re: UV Filter: To use or not to use...

Quote Originally Posted by akszaksz View Post

When i'm using, sometimes flares might be occured in the photo. I bought it for protecting the len. (i'm a careful user which i don't think i'll scratch the lens or whatever). Just protecting from dust etc.

Pro VS Con?
    Its a good piece of accessory to protect your lens from dust or finger prints & accidental scratches. Many photographers shoot with it & some don't. I guess if you are doing alot of field work, then maybe its good to leave it on, unless you don't mind unscrewing & screwing it back after every shot. If your work is mainly in the studio or indoors, i guess you can leave it off so that it you get pure optical results from your lenses. Its up to you.
    As for flares, use a lens hood.
    Take the shot!

You will never know who is going to press their fingers onto your beloved lenses especially if you deal with kids often. Rule of thumb, I won't pay more than 10% of the lens' price for putting on a filter. So, if I am getting a 50mm f/1.8 lens, I won't be putting on anything.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Just my 2 cents, use it... UNTIL you can notice the difference with/without filter. It's better than exposing your front elements to any hazards.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Its a good piece of accessory to protect your lens from dust or finger prints & accidental scratches. Many photographers shoot with it & some don't. I guess if you are doing alot of field work, then maybe its good to leave it on, unless you don't mind unscrewing & screwing it back after every shot. If your work is mainly in the studio or indoors, i guess you can leave it off so that it you get pure optical results from your lenses. Its up to you.
    As for flares, use a lens hood.
    I agree with madmartian

it depends on your field of work.
    If you're in the studio all the time dealing with adults and stuff, you probably dont need it.
    But if you're like me, handling classes of children and taking my camera out into the wild(everywhere) you probably need something just in case.

In my own opinion, if i need to use a UV filter, i dont want to put a $20 (lousy) piece of glass infront of my $1500 lens. It will affect the light going into your lens and affect performance (like your flares). the purpose of using a filter is to use something cheaper to protect your front element w/o affecting the quality of light.
    Last edited by IsenGrim; 20th November 2009 at 04:51 PM.

You'll never get a final answer for this. There are two schools in this world, you have to make your own decision.
    Lenses are developed and produced to work without any filter. So don't expect any improvements by putting some glass on it that comes from a different manufacturer. As you have noticed already, flare can occur. In most cases removing the filter helps, not putting another one on. Isn't that obvious?
    Protection is a topic that sometimes goes too much into esoteric or kiasu direction. You can't protect your lens against all odds that can occur. Being careful cannot be replaced by a piece of glass. Dust is normal and not visible in the picture when at the front element. Same goes for finger prints. Nowadays front elements are coated with the consideration of dust, cleaning and rough conditions. It lasts longer than most people want to believe. Careful cleaning helps to avoid damages.
    Lens hoods offer better protection: they can survive bumps where filters break. Even if they break they catch all energy that a filter will directly forward to the lens. Hoods block stray light and accidental finger prints. And on top: you can drop them into your bag without additional case and careful holding. Some people use 'protective filters' like lens caps: removing when start shooting and putting on again when packing.
    EOS

Pro VS Con?
    do u want those flare in ur pictures? can look quite artistic.
    you want to protect the lens, but u don't think u will scratch it.

Then my advice to u is:
    1) leave it on.
    2) when u see those flares and don't want them, take it off.
    3) if u think taking on and off is too troublesome, then don't use.
    4) if you don't mind spending a bit more, buy better filters like B+W and Nikon NC. but it does not totally solve the issue though. maybe lesser flare that's all.
    cameras are not made of tofu

Buy already then use it. I always left my NC filter on, my son likes to touch the front glass. No choice for me.
    Flares have never been a problem to me, perhaps you should try using the hood to reduce it.
    Protection is my priority. You'll never know when accidents could happen.