Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

  1. #1

    Default Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    I need a cheap CPL filter to learn how to shoot with it.

    Can recommend a relatively ok quality one that is reasonably priced? Budget about $50.

    I saw in mass sale, screw in 77mm Tianya CPL filter only costs $35, but read also that QC is very bad.

    The price guide, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263716, also has Hoya 77mm CPL at $70 and Tokina 77mm CPL at $45, but I don't know how updated is the price.

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Tokina is ok. But you should better increase the budget. Replacing a 10 bucks UV is easier than a 50 bucks CPL. So better get a good one right from the start.
    EOS

  3. #3

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Same... if you can afford an expensive 77mm lens, why not save a little more to get a better CPL? Yes, at least a Tokina.

  4. #4
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Go to B&S section to look for a second hand B+W MRC UV filter. Quality should be good and as long as you check carefully, 2nd hand filter is really not a problem. You get quality filter at a much lower price...

    And when you decide to sell on, you might not lose any money on it...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Tokina is ok. But you should better increase the budget. Replacing a 10 bucks UV is easier than a 50 bucks CPL. So better get a good one right from the start.
    Oh so Tokina is still $45?
    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Go to B&S section to look for a second hand B+W MRC UV filter. Quality should be good and as long as you check carefully, 2nd hand filter is really not a problem. You get quality filter at a much lower price...

    And when you decide to sell on, you might not lose any money on it...
    Eh but I want CPL and not UV filter. Do you mean get 2nd hand CPL?

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    buy a better one so you don't have to buy again and waste more money.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Thanks for the advice, My cousin just went HK, told him to help me buy Hoya or Kenko back.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Zimbabwe
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Sorry to ask a rather stupid question but what are the differences between a cheap polariser and an expensive one? I currently dont have a polariser and am also thinking of getting one. Thanks for enlightening me!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack View Post
    Sorry to ask a rather stupid question but what are the differences between a cheap polariser and an expensive one? I currently dont have a polariser and am also thinking of getting one. Thanks for enlightening me!
    I have the same question too.

    Went to a few shops. Mostly said it's paying for the brand name. Is this true?

  10. #10
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack View Post
    Sorry to ask a rather stupid question but what are the differences between a cheap polariser and an expensive one? I currently dont have a polariser and am also thinking of getting one. Thanks for enlightening me!
    Luckily there are people and organizations that do reviews and extensive test. Have a look and the tests in detail and see how different brands and model score. Feel free to repeat the tests (flare test is quite easy) with your own equipment.
    Lenstip.com - CPL Filter Tests
    EOS

  11. #11
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Quote Originally Posted by getright View Post
    I have the same question too.

    Went to a few shops. Mostly said it's paying for the brand name. Is this true?
    special coatings, better optical materials, built, name ..
    it is not entirely a brand thing.

    ryan

  12. #12

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Luckily there are people and organizations that do reviews and extensive test. Have a look and the tests in detail and see how different brands and model score. Feel free to repeat the tests (flare test is quite easy) with your own equipment.
    Lenstip.com - CPL Filter Tests
    Nice website link!!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

    Ok gotten the Kenko Pro1D Wide Band CPL, $99 at Orient. HK sold out, so didn't buy.

    Hope its good, how I do test if there are colour casting on the CPL?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •