Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

  1. #21
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Me.....My Canon Lide20 scanner also can't work on top of some of my fav dos games

  2. #22

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Just read that it doesn't work with Nikon Scan
    So I can't scan until they update!
    if they haven't done a 64bit driver by now, they probably are not going to.

    64bit XP has been around for years (My work actually has a 'lab' of 64bit XP systems!) - but driver support was so poor hardly any one bothered.

    64bit Vista was released with the 32bit version.

    So if a vendor hasn't been releasing a 64bit driver for any bit of hardware sold in the last 3 or 4 years, their driver code probably has issues being compiled for a 64bit target that make it a bigger issue than changing the build target.

    People still managed to turn out code today that will not work properly in a 64bit environment. I expect that device drivers are more likely than normal to have 32-64bit issues.

    I've been using 64bit Linux systems for over 10 years, so I keep getting surprised that 'new' code that breaks on 64bit is still being created, as the environment is NOT new!

  3. #23
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Have anyone tried installing Window 7 64bit on XP 32bit?

    I gotten:
    This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disk.
    To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using installation disc, and then Select Custom (advanced).

    I did reboot with the installation disc and it come back again to XP with no option given.
    Of course, I put in 32 bit disc, it shown me the option. But now, I wanna install 64bit. So do I have to reboot to first boot up and do the old style of installing Window?

  4. #24

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    Have anyone tried installing Window 7 64bit on XP 32bit?

    I gotten:
    This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disk.
    To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using installation disc, and then Select Custom (advanced).

    I did reboot with the installation disc and it come back again to XP with no option given.
    Of course, I put in 32 bit disc, it shown me the option. But now, I wanna install 64bit. So do I have to reboot to first boot up and do the old style of installing Window?
    You'll have to boot from disc. Technically you'll have to set the boot option of your system to boot from CD instead of HDD directly.

    Refer to the manual, if any, to set how to configure it.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

  5. #25
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoh View Post
    You'll have to boot from disc. Technically you'll have to set the boot option of your system to boot from CD instead of HDD directly.

    Refer to the manual, if any, to set how to configure it.
    Alright. I thought I can do the direct way. So now i have to 'visit' the BIOS for first boot up on DVD instead.


    Thanks Yoh

  6. #26

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    Alright. I thought I can do the direct way. So now i have to 'visit' the BIOS for first boot up on DVD instead.


    Thanks Yoh
    You're welcome.

    32bit OS will not be able to run 64bit applications natively, that includes installing of OS via that it.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

  7. #27
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoh View Post
    You're welcome.

    32bit OS will not be able to run 64bit applications natively, that includes installing of OS via that it.
    Thought it is an easy way out for me. ha!

    So, next time formatting of computer is even easier.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    Thought it is an easy way out for me. ha!

    So, next time formatting of computer is even easier.
    Sure is.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

  9. #29
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Ai sey... looking damn good man! Look like I have a lot of programs to start installing since I move up from 32bit to 64bit now.

    How come under remove program , there's not a single program show up? Because I am able to start using Winrar.
    Last edited by josho; 27th November 2009 at 12:08 AM.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    Ai sey... looking damn good man! Look like I have a lot of programs to start installing.
    Just the beginning.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

  11. #31
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    How come I been ask to login as administrator when i am already is?

  12. #32

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    How come I been ask to login as administrator when i am already is?
    That's the Vista security model. Confirm any action that requires special privileges, even if you are already logged in as administrator. Windows 7 continues it, although they have tried to make it a little less intrusive than their first cut at it as included in Vista.

    There is a way of turning it off. The same registry keys as Vista.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    How come I been ask to login as administrator when i am already is?
    I don't recall anything of such for my Windows 7 x64.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

  14. #34
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    So how do I turn it off? Im not a Vista user before Window 7

  15. #35

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    looks like i need to get a new linksys wireless adapter cos the old one is not compatible with win7

    btw anyone with win7 uses linksys wireless adapter?
    Last edited by soeypixels; 27th November 2009 at 02:59 PM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    So how do I turn it off? Im not a Vista user before Window 7
    Not sure if this is what you need...

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

    Look further down for Win7

  17. #37
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Recently my Win 7 had been crashing like partying. After some info and help from Window Seven forum, I removed, reinstall my programs and it never help.

    The last option is to uninstall my Zone Alarm and Oh dear... BSOD is long gone!
    I am wondering how many Win 7 64bit users are using ZA software.

    Since it crashes on me several times, what can I do with ZA? I bought this software not long ago, still have 1yr 6mth at least. I kinda scared of installing ZA again if they ask me to.

    And other than ZA, which other good/great Internet Security Suite is worth to get? I used Kaspersky before, good and very powerful. How abt NOD32?

    Advise me, please.

  18. #38
    Member adorable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bury Road
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    Thought it is an easy way out for me. ha!

    So, next time formatting of computer is even easier.
    need to format one meh? oh, I not using Windows.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    And other than ZA, which other good/great Internet Security Suite is worth to get? I used Kaspersky before, good and very powerful. How abt NOD32?
    I've tested both, and both work well. But for me, Kaspersky catches more stuff.
    Alpha

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

    WinXP works nicely for me. No I am not changing to Windows 7. I don't think it will be any better for a consumer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •