Thread: Lens recommendation for trip to North India.

Default Lens recommendation for trip to North India.

heyyyy!

i'm going on a trip to Sikkim in North India soon. Planning to take landscape (mountains!), portrait and macro photos. was thinking of getting a wide angle lens. any other lens recommendations?

canon 400D user here!

thanks in advance! (:

Default Re: Lens recommendation for trip to North India.

hmm.. im a newbie myself but as far as i know, i think u'll need more than one lens? a wide angle wont be suitable for portraits and macro, i believe..

i'll be following this thread, coz i see myself doing a similar kind of trip some time soon
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

yesyes, i need to have a few lens recommendations. i have a 50mm f1.8 II for portraits so i need a macro and a wide angle. i heard 10-22 is a good wide angle lens though, but i'm keeping my options open. (:

not thinking about getting a all in one like 18-200mm? might be a bit heavy/impractical to bring three lenses.

i just came back from bangladesh, i only dared to bring one lens :S i'm not that sure if the crime rate is that bad, but i very kiasu. heh.

Shouldn't it be the same kind of lens that also works in South India, Bali or Australia?
    What is your current lens and why do you think you need a special lens for a certain country or this trip? In which way do you feel limited with your current lens?
    EOS

ur kit len will do the job fine if u dun wan to spend extra
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Maybe you don't need 10mm at all. Consider the 17-55 f2.8 IS or tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC

Bring all the lenses you have (and like to have).

hi guys! thanks for the quick replies!

my friend and I are gonna take photos of the landscape there as well as the people. we're hoping to turn it into a mini-exhibition-in-school kinda thing so we need better lenses than a kit lens. i'll read up on the lenses you've suggested and will decide later on.

thanks once again! (:

don't worry about your stuff getting stolen - cities india are nowhere near as bad as Los Angeles, Mexico City, and Rio Di Janiero in terms of street crime. It's best that you take something like a 10-22 and 50 1.8 or 10-22 and 18-55, as you will be going wide most of the time
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsoul View Post
    heyyyy!

i'm going on a trip to Sikkim in North India soon. Planning to take landscape (mountains!), portrait and macro photos. was thinking of getting a wide angle lens. any other lens recommendations?

canon 400D user here!

thanks in advance! (:
    An 18-200....depending on your method of travel, dust/sand/soot and etc could be a problem so you would want to minimize lens changing. However if its just a week or so trip, bring whatever you want and then pay the CSC to have the dslr sensor cleaned if needed.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsoul View Post
    my friend and I are gonna take photos of the landscape there as well as the people. we're hoping to turn it into a mini-exhibition-in-school kinda thing so we need better lenses than a kit lens. i'll read up on the lenses you've suggested and will decide later on.
    What makes you think that your kit lens is not good enough? Which features and specs do you urgently need in order to capture a landscape or a person during the trip? In which way will the kit lens potentially ruin your intended exhibition?
    Many people still use the kit lens and they bring great pictures home. Without knowing what exactly you are missing how can you decide which lens to get?
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    What makes you think that your kit lens is not good enough? Which features and specs do you urgently need in order to capture a landscape or a person during the trip? In which way will the kit lens potentially ruin your intended exhibition?
    Many people still use the kit lens and they bring great pictures home. Without knowing what exactly you are missing how can you decide which lens to get?

even some L lens also considered kit lens

Bring and use the lenses you are most familiar with...
    You dont want to be caught fiddling with your new lens when there are photo opportunities there...

My 2c.
    Blood is Red for a reason. Liverpool for life.