Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Hi guys, Newbie here.

  1. #1

    Default Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Hi guys,

    New here, was planning to get Canon 500D at this upcoming sitex..
    Anyone gt any recommendation or feedback on the cam?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Many review sites do. Have you read them? Have you tested the camera for youself? Do that first.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Quote Originally Posted by loveheb3 View Post
    Hi guys,

    New here, was planning to get Canon 500D at this upcoming sitex..
    Anyone gt any recommendation or feedback on the cam?
    Either way, get it from one of the reputable shops listed here instead

  4. #4

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    don't get from sitex. ask around at the reputable shops first.. u will probably get better rates.

  5. #5
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Welcome to CS Do your homework 1st before rushing into getting your new camera
    Take the shot!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Hello...welcome.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  7. #7

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Hello, welcome to CS.

    Yah heed their advice... research first. Don't just BBB then afterwards you end up SSS!
    Flickr | 40D + CZ T* 28-70/50/80-200

  8. #8

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    ask yourself questions first:
    why do you need dslr
    what features do you need
    what justifies your choice
    does the camera in question satisfy your needs?

    if there are a few camera that satisfy your questions, den post here. Then our CS-ers will tell you to head down to 1 of the shops and try out the camera yourself. hold it, feel it. then decide. hahahhaha

    alternatively, you could list your questions here, and we can help you. =)
    (ps "i like the color" and "it looks cool" type of reasons does not apply)

  9. #9
    Member akszaksz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Posts
    1,205

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    get clear what requirement u need.
    go down to courts or any stores where u can have a hands-on on the 500D. sometimes u will need the right 'feel'

    i just bought mine not 500D more than 1 mth, i'm loving it.
    but itz always wise for u to compare & feel more brands/model.
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

  10. #10

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Know your needs first. The DSLR world is ........ lotsa things to learn, can be complicated, can be hurtful to your wallet, and after all these, you may not even get decent pictures out of your cammie.

    Why don't you tell us your needs first?
    Like what will you use your cammie for, most of the time?
    What do you intend to shoot?
    What is your budget?
    What is your time like?

    For all you know, you are better off with a point and shoot.

  11. #11
    Member akszaksz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Posts
    1,205

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    get clear what requirement u need.
    go down to courts or any stores where u can have a hands-on on the 500D. sometimes u will need the right 'feel'

    i just bought mine not 500D more than 1 mth, i'm loving it.
    but itz always wise for u to compare & feel more brands/model.
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

  12. #12

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Thx guys for the reply..

    actually i did some research.
    I'm jus started to be interested in photography.
    Thats y i thinking of getting a dslr and start learning
    I like to shoot everything. But i like scenery and some macro stuff.
    1 thing attract me to 500D is because of the video feature
    like sometime somethings is better in motion i like to take it down too.
    I wanted to go dwn to sitex to see what type of gift they offer
    den compare the price at other shops.
    I wanted to buy at sitex is because i gt a friend recommend me to get it there
    as sometime their gift are not bad..

  13. #13
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Quote Originally Posted by loveheb3 View Post
    Thx guys for the reply..

    actually i did some research.
    I'm jus started to be interested in photography.
    Thats y i thinking of getting a dslr and start learning
    I like to shoot everything. But i like scenery and some macro stuff.
    1 thing attract me to 500D is because of the video feature
    like sometime somethings is better in motion i like to take it down too.
    I wanted to go dwn to sitex to see what type of gift they offer
    den compare the price at other shops.
    I wanted to buy at sitex is because i gt a friend recommend me to get it there
    as sometime their gift are not bad..
    if you did some research (as you claim), you'll know the price differences between SITEX and at the camera stores, and whether the "freebies" justify the price difference.
    Do you actually know how much a 500D costs at the stores, and what it comes with? Do share with us here.

    500D is not the only DSLR with a video function, but I'm sure you already knew that, since you've done your research...
    Exploring! :)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    have u considered getting a prosumer? like canon g11?
    it may not have the quality of a dslr..but it's fantastic in terms of portability, functions, etc..

  15. #15

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    I know that shop are cheaper thats why i was thinking to check what sitex will offer for the gift. I also know that shop also offer gifts too. But anyone knows what might be the best gift that shop might offer?

    I did consider prosumer too but i dun really understand what does that mean. As in what are the pros and cons of that. sorry for all the trouble.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Quote Originally Posted by loveheb3 View Post
    I know that shop are cheaper thats why i was thinking to check what sitex will offer for the gift. I also know that shop also offer gifts too. But anyone knows what might be the best gift that shop might offer?
    sitex is going to and probably will offer u:
    1) a 8GB memory card which is worth abt...$50 or so depending on brand(i may be wrong cause it's awhile since i bought a memory card)
    2) a camera bag which a shop might or might not offer u. (most people end up buying their own camera bag)
    3) a tripod which depending on brand maybe worth abt $50-70 (most people also end up choosing their own tripod because the one they offer is not very good)

    Quote Originally Posted by loveheb3 View Post
    I did consider prosumer too but i dun really understand what does that mean. As in what are the pros and cons of that. sorry for all the trouble.
    Prosumer means a cross between a PROfessional and a conSUMER camera.
    these cameras are slightly bigger than ur average PnS, but have more features most notably the ability to shoot in manual mode. these cameras allow more control over ur shots than normal PnS. cost wise will be about the $700-800 range. just slightly cheaper than some entry level dslr like the canon 1000D. but it's much more portable.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    To nysheng

    So what will u recommend? a entry level DSLR or prosumer?
    Because the last IT show canon offer a crumpler bag. That is y i thinking if they will offer again.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox View Post
    Hello, welcome to CS.

    Yah heed their advice... research first. Don't just BBB then afterwards you end up SSS!
    yea, true true.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Hi guys, Newbie here.

    Quote Originally Posted by loveheb3 View Post
    To nysheng

    So what will u recommend? a entry level DSLR or prosumer?
    Because the last IT show canon offer a crumpler bag. That is y i thinking if they will offer again.

    depends on ur need and level of shooting experience. i think a person is a real newbie(one who has rarely touch a camera before), should go with a prosumer..which is kinder and will allow u to improve slowly. furthermore it's much smaller and can be carried almost anywhere. this will allow u more chances to shoot.

    but if u are past this phase, and u feel ur ability is good enough and that a prosumer just isn't good enough for u..den by all means go get a dslr.

    regarding the crumpler bag..u should wait first.. crumpler bags are not that expensive...
    dun let a free gift lure u into buying sth u dun need.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •