Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CS P&P section

Default Re: CS P&P section

at least there's one thing good about the section, it teaches people what a portrait or "fashion" photograph is NOT supposed to look like.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    um, what i find ridiculous is not the quality- or lack of thereof- in this case going thru that section

BUT
    the concept behind the portraits. I find it demeaning that most of them revolves around sleaze and sexuality. Bikini shoots are so predominant in the organized workshop. It saddens me how a block of shooters are one-dimensional. Perhaps thinking out of the box and tapping on creativity should be re-enforced here.

Maybe the prime reason for them to shoot girls wearing the least is to offset their lack of capabilities-cause who cares about lighting and stuff when we got a whole lot of raging hormones patronizing these shoots.

i am so insensitive-i know. :P
    You are right in the sense that the skimpy/cute XMMs mask the fact they cant shoot. There are first timers, but if we see what they are exposed to, its pretty sad really gives P&P a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by ejunlow View Post
    It's a public forum .. and the general hobbyist far outnumber the enthusiast which far far outweight what we term professionals...

so the P&P section simply reflects how people like to shoot their subjects .... and considering majority are men, (young men for that matter) i think you cannot deny the fact a lot of them want to show the "OMMMMPH" sexy side of things ... (clearly they might feel if i dont show a bit of leg... my pictures are just ordinary...

But take a look at other sections of the forum... Photographers arent all hum sup, it's just people interested in FASHION and PORTRAITS tend to want to show that side...

That said, fashion and portraits can be better portrayed ( i agree ) and it's a good idea for any self respecting photographer (esp if u wanna be a part of the local shooting community) to comment on photographs you think deserved to be commented...

Saying "wah chio, wah sexy" only helps get more people into thinking their SEXY shots (with the lack of skill based efforts) is something truly rewarding... hopefully given time, those that arent worth comment wont even post.. because yeah .. sexy nude.. but after 1 week without comment.. i think they'll think about something else to do .. maybe just frame it at home and admire themselves...

oh well ... there's A LOT of people out there! You can't change the world but you MIGHT influence them...

haha

Ejun

I still feel abit saddened that newbies had to be exposed to such crap organisers, who advertise their shoots as fashion but there is nothing fashion about it when we look at the output. On the other hand, we have other organisers like Artemis, Bluefrog who only conducts poorly executed lingerie shoots made up of nothing but sleaze. I am pretty sure there is no direction at the so called "fashion" shoots at all.

It's just a pity, a real pity.

Smile Re: CS P&P section

Quote Originally Posted by Zzmaimai View Post

I still feel abit saddened that newbies had to be exposed to such crap organisers, who advertise their shoots as fashion but there is nothing fashion about it when we look at the output. On the other hand, we have other organisers like Artemis, Bluefrog who only conducts poorly executed lingerie shoots made up of nothing but sleaze. I am pretty sure there is no direction at the so called "fashion" shoots at all.

It's just a pity, a real pity.

If we are to treat photography like any other professional business (which we should) then we'll come to expect that in business there's always people more shrewed and more devious when it comes to making a profit.

Too many factors come into place - and Brothels and whorehouses have been running since the beginning of time... so while singapore dont actually legalise prostitution... you cant deny there's still a market for it..

How do you stop a bored elderly man who's wife died from picking up woman off our red lit roads? .... you cant.. in the same way ... it's hardly a pity... because we shouldnt worry about what we couldnt control...

There's still so many of us in the forums that still decides upon the integrity of the organisers before attending them (i myself have yet to go for an organised session) but if i do, i'd probably choose one that knows what he's doing...

Good informative thread anyway TS...

Ejun
    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

Everyone is a foto-graph-er these days. so easy to press button, hear beep beep, shuck. Photo not nice delete. Photo see alot of skin, go home then delete, but must see see first.
    and this is more and more prominent in P&P. But its not just P&P. Wedding portfolio also mah. bad lighting....etc, basically what ever u can complain about. But what can we all do? Its a free world. Unless you can convince CS to stop allowing "service offered" to non paying advertisers so as to not cheapen the craft, and make all the posters go through a review first. which is next to impossible.

So the solution for me is.. "If you think it will pull standards down, don't see"

is too sleazy. had became a breeding ground for hum sup lo(s) and GWCs.

That is all.
    Dear Simon Cowell,

Why can't I find any threads with your pictures?
    Can you please stop bitchin' and start showing us how it's done? Thanks

Regards,
    Troy
    ex-Nikon owner - now only iPhone :/

Quote Originally Posted by TroyP View Post
    Dear Simon Cowell,

Why can't I find any threads with your pictures?
    Can you please stop bitchin' and start showing us how it's done? Thanks

Regards,
    Troy
    Power
    Tangfolio, 9mm; CZ75 Shadow, 9mm; S&W 686, .38

That is all.
    But all they can see are uncle's self-portraits.

Blog Entries

did u just resurrect a dead thread?

what the... this thread is like...old
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

Hard to find any decent portraiture here.

That is all.
    You are one of those Singaporeans who complain complain complain and never think of solutions. I have a few for you:

1. You become a mod and make that section elitist;
    2. You become a mod and dereg all those you think are HSL;
    3. You do some programming whereby threads with " " will automatically not be posted;
    4. You pump in some money for Darren to set up another faction - clubsnap-pro.com.

I can even predict the outcome:
    到时候两边一起完蛋咯, because if you look at CS now, CS 本来就没有什么人,贴拍照的八卦的都是我们这几个人。 You can count with your fingers.

I know you are a professional with pride and arrogance. I respect that. I know you also never like me, just like a lot of people here. But this website is about everybody coming together to rest and relax. Life is hard in itself and we are thankful to have CS, aren't we? Try to live with people, try to accept people, try to treat everyone equally, try to make this place something that we can gather after work, after school before we go to sleep.

Relax.. all is not lost..

For anything else, even if TS lost heart with P&P, there is always KPT to turn to..

Kopitiam. The only reason why i'm still in CS. Oh wait, still got nm's dreamscapes
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    Kopitiam. The only reason why i'm still in CS. Oh wait, still got nm's dreamscapes
    Not true, not true.. Leong's macro were also quite good.

This looks like a dead thread resurrected...but oh well, since it seems interesting, I'll just give it my share of thoughts. TS is probably not checking this thread anymore so I won't bother arguing directly with him, but I'll just give my opinion.
    I'm new here and I just picked up the DSLR this year, so I don't know how things were when this thread was posted, but I'll be perfectly honest and say P&P is one of the few forums on this board that I frequent (and photo shoots too). i've only been to two shoots so far, but I dare say that those two shoots taught me more photography skills than all the previous 6 months that I've been using a DSLR. I got the privilege of having some pro pro guy in the same group as me in my first shoot ever, so he did all the directing, choosing the spot, basically everything, so I learned a lot from that. Then when I posted my photos to P&P, the purpose was solely to seek opinions and C&C to further improve, because I was well aware that while the model looks good, my composition, lighting and everything else probably aren't. I also got to compare my photos with other people's from the same shoot, to see how and why they differ from mine and how I can learn from that. All in all it's been a very good learning experience. As for my second shoot, there wasn't anyone who actively directed the models and choose good spots to shoot, so most of the photos turned out horrid, harsh shadows and everything, but I still think I improved a lot from the first shoot in terms of composition and angles, and I also made an effort to direct the models, like posing, or shifting the location to removing distracting stuffs in the foreground/background, etc. So even though the photos from my second shoot are not as good as those from the first one, I know that I've improved a lot through just a single shoot, and much of it is due to P&P.
    Anyway, the bottom line is that while P&P is a place for accomplished photographers to showcase their good stuff, it's also a place for newbies like me to post our photos and get the better people to point out the mistakes that we can't see on our own, so that we can improve, so if you think someone's work is not up to your standard (or too sleazy, for that matter), tell them what error they've made so they can work on it, instead of saying bad things about them behind their back

Oh boy I went off-topic quite a bit...but since I've already typed it I'll just post it anyway
    Canon Kiss X3 BG-E5 | Canon 135 f2 | Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 | Sigma 50 f1.4 | 430EXII
    View my gallery

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123