Thread: Need Help in DIY boundcard

Default Need Help in DIY bounce card

Need Help...i want to DIY a Bounce Card for 380EX what would be the best size...anyone help please ...
    Last edited by Kelvin^Newbie; 3rd February 2004 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin^Newbie
    Need Help...i want to DIY a Bounce Card for 380EX what would be the best size...anyone help please ...
    search the past threads. Lots of discussions.

roughly 10x10 cm will be ok

thank guy...i got my one done...look good to me...

OT abit...how to use a bounce card effectively?

Do you point the flash directly at the ceiling or at an angle say, 60 degrees?

Any benefits/drawbacks as compared to using a diffuser such as the Stofen types?

use at an angle, say 45 deg +- here and there. if point the flash head straight up=>the card is in vertical position=>whats there to bounce

bounce card wont see shadows directly behind subject. but omnibounce even at 45deg still will.

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    use at an angle, say 45 deg +- here and there. if point the flash head straight up=>the card is in vertical position=>whats there to bounce

bounce card wont see shadows directly behind subject. but omnibounce even at 45deg still will.

U can point the flash vertically to the ceiling... the bounce card will reflect the part of the flash pulse forward. It will be weak but it is good for certain situations like lighting up a face with a closeup... especially when u do not have a low enough ceiling to bounce.

managed to find my old avatar with my bounce card

If there is no ceiling, and my flash is 70deg facing up with my bound card... will my flash reflect on the item i wan? will my photo go under?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin^Newbie
    If there is no ceiling, and my flash is 70deg facing up with my bound card... will my flash reflect on the item i wan? will my photo go under?
    no ceiling u use bounce flash for wat?

Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    Bounce off the dust particles loh...

Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    haha jus wonder can the flash get bounce by the card alone marz...haha

u mentoned 70 degs i suppose its a random estimate? actually can try experiment from 45 deg then do some test shot above n below that, kind of like "angle bracketing" . different angles will produce subtle but somewhat noticeable differences in how the picture turns out..got to test shoot a bit then conclude for your own preferences

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    u mentoned 70 degs i suppose its a random estimate? actually can try experiment from 45 deg then do some test shot above n below that, kind of like "angle bracketing" . different angles will produce subtle but somewhat noticeable differences in how the picture turns out..got to test shoot a bit then conclude for your own preferences
    this kind of test must use DSLR i using film cant give it a test...someone test it and post the result here....haha

Yes, some light will be reflected even if the flash is pointing vertically upwards. Remember u are using a bounce card... the card is meant to reflect light. Whatever angle u use, all that does is to alter the intensity of the flash pulse. What the card does is to diffuse the light and make it a bigger source so that u dun get hotspots (or at least somewhat reduce hotspots). Your subjects' faces will have reduced "caught-in-the-headlights" look..... or what I call the white-out effect. But I dun find the bounce card very effective.... I prefer bouncing off ceiling or using the diffuser plate.

As for whether your picture will go underexposed or not will be dependent on your camera's TTL sensor and your camera to subject distance and your flash's guide number.

If your TTL sensor is accurate, your subject will be lit properly. Just that your flash has to work harder by firing at full power all the time. Eats up batteries like no tomorrow.

If your subject is within the flash range (remember u depowered it so that the range is reduced significantly), then the exposure will be okay. If u are outside the flash range, then u'll get serious underexposure. U need to experiment. Usually within 2-3 meters is ok. Not more than that...

If your flash guide number is low, u have less room to play with bec your range gets reduced to almost nothing.... u need a flash more than the Minolta 3500xi (which has guide number of 25?). I used that flash with a bounce card and omnibounce and got really bnad results cause of the low guide number. In all cases, I was too far away from the subject for my flash to light them up properly.