Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's Wrong With My PC?

Default Re: What's Wrong With My PC?

Thanks for all the replies. Finally,I'm getting my new PC tomorrow.

I'm confused with the varieties of RAMs available. Please advise what specs RAM is suitable for my new PC.

The specs:
    Acer
    Inter Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200 (2.33 ghz, 4mb L2 cache, 1333 FSB)
    2Gb DDR3 ram

Can I safely get any of the following RAMs

OCZ 10666/1333 DDR3 CL9
    PC3 10600/1333 Kingston CL9

Thanks!
    Last edited by cichlid; 31st December 2009 at 09:33 AM.

The 8400 card is a few years old already, i'd think you could go for something more recent.

With Win7 (ensure they install the 64bit version for you) so you can up the ram to over the 3GB windows limit if you decide to go with more ram.

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    The 8400 card is a few years old already, i'd think you could go for something more recent.

With Win7 (ensure they install the 64bit version for you) so you can up the ram to over the 3GB windows limit if you decide to go with more ram.
    You mean the processor, Q8200? If I'm not wrong its from year 2008.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    You mean the processor, Q8200? If I'm not wrong its from year 2008.
    the most u only upgrade 1gb ram..i dun think u will want to try 64bit OS..not all programs are compatible with 64bit..the ram u quote are all compatible with ur mother board..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

sounds like power box issue. (PSU)

wouldnt cost more than 100 bucks to change, a good one can be gotten for 60 onwards. moreover, can cannibalize it should you decide to change your whole unit in the near future.
    1 Camera Body and a couple lenses.

Cool Re: What's Wrong With My PC?

Quote Originally Posted by LukaviZ View Post
    sounds like power box issue. (PSU)

wouldnt cost more than 100 bucks to change, a good one can be gotten for 60 onwards. moreover, can cannibalize it should you decide to change your whole unit in the near future.
    There are more problems now; it can't detect my external HDD.

Oh well, it's been 5 years and 4 months, it's time for it to retire.

I'm getting new PC later today...yeah... Happy new year everyone!
    Last edited by cichlid; 1st January 2010 at 11:31 AM.

Blog Entries

okkies. sounds like mines. time to hijack this thread wahahahaha

lets try see my one. sometimes cannot boot. sometimes boot liao hang. sometimes pc shows its running (aka power all ok) but screen detects no signals from computer. also the pc will sometimes just hang outta no where, without BSOD, it just auto restarts. doesnt detect removable drives such as usb and hdd. 2 out of my 6 usb ports do not have enough power to power a *!$@#!@$

if this sounds like ur prob too let me know~~

planning to get a laptop if its really cmi.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 1st January 2010 at 02:11 PM.

most likely is the old motherboard giving way since the problem is intermitten, esp when got engine sound got boot, no sound no boot, and PSU usually either dies or dont die.

If motherboard dies, then i think it will be wiser to change the whole system to a new one. Old parts are ex and hard to find sometimes.

For a new pc system, you may consider not getting the operating system if you have an 'existing' one, thereby saving some money.
    But the drawback is that you need to know how to install or a person who can do it for you. Also ask the shop if can get discount if you dun want the mouse and keyboard?

Personally I prefer Intel to AMD. Maybe u want to consider it.

If you are using Windows 7, I think you better have 4 gb of ram.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    okkies. sounds like mines. time to hijack this thread wahahahaha

lets try see my one. sometimes cannot boot. sometimes boot liao hang. sometimes pc shows its running (aka power all ok) but screen detects no signals from computer. also the pc will sometimes just hang outta no where, without BSOD, it just auto restarts. doesnt detect removable drives such as usb and hdd. 2 out of my 6 usb ports do not have enough power to power a *!$@#!@$

if this sounds like ur prob too let me know~~

planning to get a laptop if its really cmi.
    yours very old pc? i think u should buang it liao.

if i'm not wrong, your is integrated graphics?
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Blog Entries

nope. mine aint integrated. my pc is those self assemble ones.been abt a good 4 years? so now crashing quite heartache =.=

i'm running on a nvidia 7300 i think. i dunno leh. yesterday pc just pulled another stunt. my photography work folder just disappeared. its like it never existed. zz

damn it.

btw i'm quite geeky so i already tried almost all methods to find back the file. starting with file search all the way to file recovery. just dun have. emo

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    nope. mine aint integrated. my pc is those self assemble ones.been abt a good 4 years? so now crashing quite heartache =.=

i'm running on a nvidia 7300 i think. i dunno leh. yesterday pc just pulled another stunt. my photography work folder just disappeared. its like it never existed. zz

damn it.

btw i'm quite geeky so i already tried almost all methods to find back the file. starting with file search all the way to file recovery. just dun have. emo
    this seems bad and dangerous. you might want to consider a reformat if you have already done backup of the files. All the problems might be due to software related?

As for the hardware, unless you can isolate or single out the problem, you can also consider to retire it.

Hi

I'm the TS.

I don't know whether this info will help or not.

Guess what my old pc is resurrected. My bro-in-law used a can of contact spray on the computer and huat ah, the pc is working perfectly again lol...

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Hi
    I'm the TS.

I don't know whether this info will help or not.

Guess what my old pc is resurrected. My bro-in-law used a can of contact spray on the computer and huat ah, the pc is working perfectly again lol...
    Huh?

If it works then good for you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12