View Poll Results: Is Higher Mother Tongue Important for P5?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 25.00%
  • No

3 75.00%

Thread: Is Higher Mother Tongue Subject really relevant for P5?

Default Is Higher Mother Tongue Subject really relevant for P5?

My child is going to P5 and he received a letter from school to opt for a fifth subject ie, Higher Malay.

I've decided he opt out of it and continue to concentrate on the 4 core subjects becoz of his abilities and would not want to stress him out too much. I believe children needs a balance lifestyle too like us adults' work-life balance.

Anyway his teacher called up to persuade me to re consider, very adamant that I opt in. I would understand those who chose Higher Chinese Language aspire to enrol in the top schools.

But my son's option is only Higher Malay and based on the school system now, not much future to pursue that path. I think parents from Tamil speaking background feels that way too.

Just to hear your opinions on this. Thanks.
    Last edited by greenieadi; 16th November 2009 at 09:47 PM.

Default Re: Is Higher Mother Tongue Subject really relevant for P5?

Higher mother tongue points are only useful if your child opt for Special Assistance Plan (SAP) schools. The points gained from HMT do not give him better score for PSLE. These points can only be used when he is applying for SAP school. If you have no plans for your child to be in a SAP school, then taking higher mother tongue is of no value .. but if u want to leave your options open and your child is capable of HMT, then by all means go ahead.

Other than the bonus points, it MIGHT help in providing a headstart if ur son is intending to pursue higher mother tongue in secondary school. Thats a big 'might' however. I myself didn't take higher chinese at primary school level (was from EM2) but still got an A for higher chinese at the O'levels. Might be a totally different case for higher malay however, I do not know.

In any case, I would recommend taking it only if ur son is coping well with his other core subjects, if not totally no point taking on an extra subject and adding on to the workload. The choice is yours
    Last edited by LenzLaw; 17th November 2009 at 06:12 AM.

if he can cope, why not?

anyways, it's up to you. i do not think it will present him with any disadvantage if he opts out; it will not present him any clear advantage if he opts in either. it differs from person to person.

malay used to be the one of the main forms of communication between the races in the old days.

nowadays, many opt their children to learn dialect chinese or tagalog or japanese for that extra when in future apply for work. if got extra time see if can get interested in fine art like music or literature.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.