Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

  1. #1

    Default Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)




    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I'm hoping to get some critique on my composition and the lighting that I chose for this photo. The photo is uncropped and minimal post processing done.

    As it was during the mid day, the sun was most prominent from my master-bedroom window. My wife was playing with one of our three dogs and at that moment when I took the shot, he gave her a "high-5".


    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    This is more of a candid shot rather than me trying to achieve something.


    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I was messing around with my camera and my lens, so took a candid shot. As you can see, both are happy playing on my bed, although I forbid the fact of any of my dogs jumping onto my bed in the first place. But seeing my wife happy, I'll just let it pass.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Through this photo, I can see why my wife loves all our dogs.

    Thanks for the comments & critiques (In-advance).
    Flickr | 40D + CZ T* 28-70/50/80-200

  2. #2

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    love this one a lot! although I can't see the "high-5" part, but I can feel the love...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    cant see the high five. cant see your wife's face clearly. hence, don't think the picture sends out a strong message.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyatian View Post
    love this one a lot! although I can't see the "high-5" part, but I can feel the love...
    Hehe thanks. Yup, it was a "high-5" initially but somehow when I took the pic it looks more like a handshake.

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    cant see the high five. cant see your wife's face clearly. hence, don't think the picture sends out a strong message.
    Was her request to keep her oof on purpose actually. but appreciate the critique there. Will take note
    Flickr | 40D + CZ T* 28-70/50/80-200

  5. #5

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    LOL this is a cute picture...lighting in this type of set-up is tricky..good attempt

  6. #6

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    Interesting photo, but the dog looks like a cut n paste onto the photo?
    There are white border on the top of the dog. Did you do some PP to it?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by lightbrush View Post
    LOL this is a cute picture...lighting in this type of set-up is tricky..good attempt
    Hehe thanks for your kind words.

    Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    Interesting photo, but the dog looks like a cut n paste onto the photo?
    There are white border on the top of the dog. Did you do some PP to it?
    Thanks . Heh my dog wasn't cut and paste, the white border is actually my window. Strong light coming in. The only PP work that was done was white balance and had to under expose the photo and some recovery work. Pardon my skills I'm still learning heh.
    Flickr | 40D + CZ T* 28-70/50/80-200

  8. #8

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    I find it unfortunate that her face is OOF, since she is strong point of interest in the photo. Blurring it confuses me at first, as to where should I look to understand the picture..
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

  9. #9

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    I find it unfortunate that her face is OOF, since she is strong point of interest in the photo. Blurring it confuses me at first, as to where should I look to understand the picture..
    Thanks for the critique there .

    Yeah come to think of it I should have kept my wife in focus. only problem is that she probably won't allow me to post it online.

    Still will take note of this in future. Thanks for the good tip there.
    Flickr | 40D + CZ T* 28-70/50/80-200

  10. #10

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    title and picture doesn't coincide...

    the 'high-5' is barely visible..(not enough paw can be seen to tell it's a 'high-5') in fact it looks like she's preventing him from licking her face.

    lighting is insufficient from the front..and angle is not particularly ideal. no offense to ur wife, but i think she sorts of spoils this picture(would probably be fine if she was smiling wider).

    would be nicer if it's just the dog placing its paw on ur wife's hand. i.e taking the picture from an angle lower and to ur left from the current angle

  11. #11

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    title and picture doesn't coincide...

    the 'high-5' is barely visible..(not enough paw can be seen to tell it's a 'high-5') in fact it looks like she's preventing him from licking her face.

    lighting is insufficient from the front..and angle is not particularly ideal. no offense to ur wife, but i think she sorts of spoils this picture(would probably be fine if she was smiling wider).

    would be nicer if it's just the dog placing its paw on ur wife's hand. i.e taking the picture from an angle lower and to ur left from the current angle
    No worries, appreciate the feedback there I'm always open to criticism and opinions. that way can improve further. Thanks again bro!
    Flickr | 40D + CZ T* 28-70/50/80-200

  12. #12

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    to be fair, it doesn't look like a snapshot

    the trouble is that the photo's result is nothing very impactful, interesting, or meaningful. while it may mean loads to an onlooker or the person shooting the picture, unfortunately, he/she should remember that viewers view photographs presented on the net with nothing in mind, no memory of being there, no knowledge of any link between the person in the picture and the dog.. so you have to SHOW IT. is that done here? unfortunately not.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    to be fair, it doesn't look like a snapshot

    the trouble is that the photo's result is nothing very impactful, interesting, or meaningful. while it may mean loads to an onlooker or the person shooting the picture, unfortunately, he/she should remember that viewers view photographs presented on the net with nothing in mind, no memory of being there, no knowledge of any link between the person in the picture and the dog.. so you have to SHOW IT. is that done here? unfortunately not.

    Thanks for your insight night86mare. Really appreciate the feedback. Made me think about how I shouldn't just point & snap but how to make my shot(s) count.
    Flickr | 40D + CZ T* 28-70/50/80-200

  14. #14

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    I actually like the mood of the picture.

    While I admit that the High-5 can't really be seen, it's clear to me that your wife loves the dog.

    The look on her face is one which conveys love and the blurring, to me, only intensifies her gentle expression.

    The webpage: aladynna.com
    The Flickr: aladynna@flickr

  15. #15

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by aladynna View Post
    I actually like the mood of the picture.

    While I admit that the High-5 can't really be seen, it's clear to me that your wife loves the dog.

    The look on her face is one which conveys love and the blurring, to me, only intensifies her gentle expression.


    Thanks for your kind words aladynna Glad you liked it. Still have room for improvements
    Flickr | 40D + CZ T* 28-70/50/80-200

  16. #16
    Member ruffgaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Little green room.
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    works for me!
    N.
    Lumix FZ28, Holga 12, Nikon FM10

  17. #17

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    just my point of view...nothing personal...

    the girl's face look dirty to me...possible to PP to a cleaner face?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    1,355

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    nice shot
    Mountain Training #101: Crouching Photographer Hidden Ladder

  19. #19

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by ruffgaws View Post
    works for me!
    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by qqmeng View Post
    just my point of view...nothing personal...

    the girl's face look dirty to me...possible to PP to a cleaner face?
    Heh I think my poor PP skills ended up making my wife's complexion dirty. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by aloyyolaaloy View Post
    nice shot
    Thanks
    Flickr | 40D + CZ T* 28-70/50/80-200

  20. #20

    Default Re: Here's a "high-5" and a kiss. :)

    lighting's too harsh and hence it shows.

    I think it is clear that your wife's face was already underexposed to begin with and what you were doing was to get details back in PP. It shows. Avoid that. Overexposure and underexposure is something that can never be truly recovered even in RAW. You need to take note that since you are shooting with a direct light source, you are going to get harsh shadows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •