Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOTHER'S way of keeping cabinet dry

Default Re: MOTHER'S way of keeping cabinet dry

I thought Lenspen use carbon as the main cleaning agent to clean lenses so carbon does has its usefulness in photography? Of course, it is a different form of carbon than the charcoal that we are talking about.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    I thought Lenspen use carbon as the main cleaning agent to clean lenses so carbon does has its usefulness in photography? Of course, it is a different form of carbon than the charcoal that we are talking about.
    i actually introduced carbon stains on my sensor due to the sensorlear lenspen i used...just like what the CP uncle said...end up no choice bring to fatigue for wet cleaning of the sensor.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 14th November 2009 at 08:25 PM.

When using sensor lenspen, user is must not rub but in one direction very lightly sweep down using one side, since sensor is not dirty. Only when there is moisture stains, then you have to apply multiple strokes but never rub, follow by final downward sweep to get rid of the dirt. Last step is blower.

Don't buy the big head lenspen as it smudges, use the smaller one instead to remove stubbon stain.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    i actually introduced carbon stains on my sensor due to the sensorlear lenspen i used...just like what the CP uncle said...end up no choice bring to fatigue for wet cleaning of the sensor.

Of course if you want to use charcoal, there are ways to keep the carbon dust contained. Hippo and electric rechargeable silica dryer (include some drybox) uses fine cloth to keep dust at bay and charcoal must be sweeped. So the reason of dust problem is not the critical reason but rather one should be asking does charcoal really work that effectively and how much to put?

Without some form indicator, one would never know when is the charcoal damped. Silica gel has dye, hippo has liquid.
    Last edited by spheredome; 14th November 2009 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    When using sensor lenspen, user is must not rub but in one direction very lightly sweep down using one side, since sensor is not dirty. Only when there is moisture stains, then you have to apply multiple strokes but never rub, follow by final downward sweep to get rid of the dirt. Last step is blower.

Don't buy the big head lenspen as it smudges, use the smaller one instead to remove stubbon stain.
    of course i use the small triangle head to clean my sensor...not only that i clean away a big spot and introduce 2 smaller spots and that carbon stain which i cannot see with my LED touch shining on my sensor.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 14th November 2009 at 09:08 PM.

ooh, but thing is those charcoal are kept in a bag, that acts like a filter. plus so far my sensor seems to be fine. anw, how to check exactly if the sensor is damaged? sorry im a newbie. and hey! dont remark someone else stupid. its rude. anw, i used a cotton bud to test if there are charcoal dust and there arent any. i'll continue to experiment the method
    Last edited by lomogig; 15th November 2009 at 04:36 PM.

If you could, go to Homefix and buy a digital hygrometer to take RH measurement too after 3 days, that way you will know if the RH is low. If the RH remains at room humidity say >60%, then that would be exciting.

Dust would unlikely get into sensor unless it is left inside with exposed mirror. They probably misinterpreted for exposed charcoal, so unintentionally find it an illogical solution at first thought.

I was wondering if a piece of bread in ziplock with 3 pieces of charcoal will retard mold growth than another ziplock+bread with no charcoal (both with air inside).

Quote Originally Posted by lomogig View Post
    ooh, but thing is those charcoal are kept in a bag, that acts like a filter. plus so far my sensor seems to be fine. anw, how to check exactly if the sensor is damaged? sorry im a newbie. and hey! dont remark someone else stupid. its rude. anw, i used a cotton bud to test if there are charcoal dust and there arent any. i'll continue to experiment the method

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    If you could, go to Homefix and buy a digital hygrometer to take RH measurement too after 3 days, that way you will know if the RH is low. If the RH remains at room humidity say >60%, then that would be exciting.

Dust would unlikely get into sensor unless it is left inside with exposed mirror. They probably misinterpreted for exposed charcoal, so unintentionally find it an illogical solution at first thought.

I was wondering if a piece of bread in ziplock with 3 pieces of charcoal will retard mold growth than another ziplock+bread with no charcoal (both with air inside).
    hmm, i honestly think it would. lol

Better don't try the method using charcoal.
    I have a friend who also used this before and did not consult anyone before doing this.

1 month later he check his cam, there are some dust in the lens and the body..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12