Thread: Its all about the journey

Blog Entries

Default Its all about the journey

Ok interesting things have developed over the last month regarding critiques and how we should approach it. My take is this...

whether u get involved with photography as an interest, a hobby, or a job.. it doesnt matter... it is what you take away from it. One should strive to become a more insightful and confident individual as one shoot. To explore new frontiers, to stretch oneself. Its not about equipment, for every 1Ds capturing moments there is at least two FM2 doing the nice thing. Just pop in a film canister or a cf card and go shoot. Sathea's coolpix 4100 eye of the city and Malkw's award winning pix are examples of "you don need a DSLR to capture the moment" Granted good equipment aids the photographer but kungfu lovers should know the highest level of mastery is for the self to become the sword (weapon).

don take critiques too harshly... remember even the likes of Salgado and Nachtway didnt get their Magnum membership at the first try. If you don even know what I am referring to.. do yourself a favor and conduct a google search. Remember you cant please everyone and photography is very subjective. Life sux... deal with it.

No standard.. not good enough... doesnt matter... you are suppose to improve rite? Unless of coz you are cursed to remain where you are for eternity then I think you should be upset and have every right to complain.

as for asking people to prove themselves before they can tell you anything... think again... do you ask your coach to dunk before u listen to him? just listen to what others have to say... even the harshest words... and compare it to the harshest critic... you yourself. If you feel that you are justified then heck what others are saying. If you feel otherwise then make that change.

in case people get upset with what I wrote... just visit my gallery for some laughs. Of coz you may think the shots are pathetic and pity my mismatch with my equipment. But hey, my best shots are yet to come and I aint hanging up my camera... cheers

Hehe i like the final paragraph. Well said Sebastian.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong
    in case people get upset with what I wrote... just visit my gallery for some laughs. Of coz you may think the shots are pathetic and pity my mismatch with my equipment. But hey, my best shots are yet to come and I aint hanging up my camera... cheers

The best shot of a photograher should be one he/she has to take in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong
    Ok interesting things have developed over the last month regarding critiques and how we should approach it. My take is this...

whether u get involved with photography as an interest, a hobby, or a job.. it doesnt matter... it is what you take away from it. One should strive to become a more insightful and confident individual as one shoot. To explore new frontiers, to stretch oneself. Its not about equipment, for every 1Ds capturing moments there is at least two FM2 doing the nice thing. Just pop in a film canister or a cf card and go shoot. Sathea's coolpix 4100 eye of the city and Malkw's award winning pix are examples of "you don need a DSLR to capture the moment" Granted good equipment aids the photographer but kungfu lovers should know the highest level of mastery is for the self to become the sword (weapon).

don take critiques too harshly... remember even the likes of Salgado and Nachtway didnt get their Magnum membership at the first try. If you don even know what I am referring to.. do yourself a favor and conduct a google search. Remember you cant please everyone and photography is very subjective. Life sux... deal with it.

No standard.. not good enough... doesnt matter... you are suppose to improve rite? Unless of coz you are cursed to remain where you are for eternity then I think you should be upset and have every right to complain.

as for asking people to prove themselves before they can tell you anything... think again... do you ask your coach to dunk before u listen to him? just listen to what others have to say... even the harshest words... and compare it to the harshest critic... you yourself. If you feel that you are justified then heck what others are saying. If you feel otherwise then make that change.

Well said brother.... words of wisdom for the mind

PS: no matter what, I still always link you to that gigantic bounce card on your flash.. heehee....

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    The best shot of a photograher should be one he/she has to take in the future.
    I very much agree

Very nicely said, Sebastian.

Unfortunately, I find that there are too many who end up caught in the BUY-BUY-BUY frenzy and end up like what someone mentioned in another thread... rich sheep (Baa-UY... Baa-UY... Baa-UY). Photography is about taking pictures... and not collecting equipment.

Perhaps they are afflicted by this (I paraphrase Yoda):

fear (of other's better equipment) ... leads to anger (that I can't buy such equipment) .... anger leads to hate (why does people have so much cash?!) ... and hate... leads to suffering (I want more $$, and equipment!)

:P

Just my two cents worth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    Well said brother.... words of wisdom for the mind

PS: no matter what, I still always link you to that gigantic bounce card on your flash.. heehee....

for those who don noe what in the world SniperD is referring to...
    kindly refer to the last picture in this gallery
    Last edited by sebastiansong; 2nd February 2004 at 11:51 AM.

Not bad leh...
    I'm almost there...
    1/4 the size of that only..

Deregistered

To put a different perspective to some points in this thread so far -

Critiques
    Constructive criticism, I'm sure, will be welcome by most folks. And for those who post responses, isn't it more positive to point out what works or not (in your eyes) with the picture? I think this is a positive and win-win approach to critique, as opposed to plain outright criticizing and blasting of posters. That's puerile.

Buy-Buy-Buy
    Equipment chasers (a.k.a. EW/EW to some), I feel, will always be part and parcel of Clubsnap. Notwithstanding its roots from HWZ, many people just believe that bigger gun equals better photos. If you feel against this, step up an education campaign. Otherwise, keep a distance from them. Win them, join them, or dump them.

Bemoaning/Complaining about standards
    Oh please. If you feel strongly about the standards, do something. Start a course, open house, sharing sessions, a school even. You find standards low, not up to your mark, do a sharing session. Sitting there and crying only shows you up as a selfish, spoilt child. But end of the day, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however idiotic or misguided they may be.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Azure

Critiques
    Constructive criticism, I'm sure, will be welcome by most folks. And for those who post responses, isn't it more positive to point out what works or not (in your eyes) with the picture? I think this is a positive and win-win approach to critique, as opposed to plain outright criticizing and blasting of posters. That's puerile.

Buy-Buy-Buy
    Equipment chasers (a.k.a. EW/EW to some), I feel, will always be part and parcel of Clubsnap. Notwithstanding its roots from HWZ, many people just believe that bigger gun equals better photos. If you feel against this, step up an education campaign. Otherwise, keep a distance from them. Win them, join them, or dump them.

Oh please. If you feel strongly about the standards, do something. Start a course, open house, sharing sessions, a school even. You find standards low, not up to your mark, do a sharing session. Sitting there and crying only shows you up as a selfish, spoilt child. But end of the day, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however idiotic or misguided they may be.
    Well said

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Azure

Critiques

Buy-Buy-Buy

agree.

Which is the malkw's winning pic? Care to post?

Regards
    CK

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    Which is the malkw's winning pic? Care to post?

Regards
    CK
    Hi CK

just do a search for Malkw... he's using it as his avatar

Talking

juzt take a step back .....

ur viewpoint becomez wider too .....

just like return to innocence

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    just like return to innocence
    The return to Innocence.....
    Oh AI yeah..~~~~ah yeah,.~~~